CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Awesome! Thanks! I really like the lighting they chose. I wonder if the plans for the sign and spire are still in the works for the Interstate side of things...?

It seems like ICAR has been keeping a low profile as of late. I wonder what's in the works?? (we typically haven't gone too long without hearing something)

• 3 weeks later...

Really neat to walk up into the Collaboration neighborhood. The buildings are close together and there are no parking lots (all deck parking). Feels more urban and less suburban....sort of like a "new city" is being created. :thumbsup:

Trees have been planted and more landscaping is going in. This is starting feel very pulled together. Finishing touches are happening all around to this first phase of CU-ICAR.

Didn't realize until today, the parking deck has offices attached. I knew the first floor would be the South Financial / Carolina First Art Gallery. Didn't realize the second floor is a fitness center, and the floors above are all offices.

A few update photos:

DSC03731.jpg

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03728.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

Didn't realize until today, the parking deck has offices attached. I knew the first floor would be the South Financial / Carolina First Art Gallery. Didn't realize the second floor is a fitness center, and the floors above are all offices.

I believe the offices that are attached are CU-ICAR admin-related offices.

When we built the first ICAR building I thought the view of the woods behind it was great. They put lots of bird houses out so people could observe nature. Also there is a break room that comes out onto a big patio on the back which makes for a nice area in the summer time to take a break from work. Im glad they left all the big trees back there. That area is up near the top of the building on the back.

• 3 weeks later...

City is looking to state for 5 million to widen the Salters Road bridge over I-85 to four lanes, connecting Verdae and Millenium Campus / South Financial. The article doesn't say if the city still plans to have a decorative stone bridge. Anyone know?

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../801080361/1003

Perhaps it would be overkill, but why not just go ahead and widen it to six lanes? For all the trouble of working over the busiest interstate in Greenville, combined with the tons of traffic that will be using this road in the coming years, why not go ahead and plan aggressively? Is it really that much more expensive to pay for six lanes instead of four?

P.S. Perhaps this would be a good bridge to have "Greenville" or even "Welcome to Uptown Greenville" on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Greenville

Perhaps it would be overkill, but why not just go ahead and widen it to six lanes? For all the trouble of working over the busiest interstate in Greenville, combined with the tons of traffic that will be using this road in the coming years, why not go ahead and plan aggressively? Is it really that much more expensive to pay for six lanes instead of four?

P.S. Perhaps this would be a good bridge to have "Greenville" or even "Welcome to Uptown Greenville" on it. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, SC doesn't usually think much ahead on it's roads and bridges. But I agree, and it would certainly be much cheaper to do it now tha to do it in 10-20 years. Widening to just four seems almost not worth the trouble.

What's this about a stone bridge? I'd love to see something different or unique here, and I like Greenville's suggestion about some signage of some sort...

Somewhere here in the post, is a rendering of the Salters Road Bridge over 85, rebuilt out of stone. It may be in the Verdae thread....will try to find. Stone used on the bridge, and signage as per Greenville's suggestion would be fantastic. Anything more decorative than a typical bridge crossing.

I would even go for the same look that has been started on 385 at the West Georgia, Fairview and Harrison Bridge Road exits, with the brick and decorative streetlights.....it would keep consistency in the metro.

Somewhere here in the post, is a rendering of the Salters Road Bridge over 85, rebuilt out of stone. It may be in the Verdae thread....will try to find. Stone used on the bridge, and signage as per Greenville's suggestion would be fantastic. Anything more decorative than a typical bridge crossing.

I would even go for the same look that has been started on 385 at the West Georgia, Fairview and Harrison Bridge Road exits, with the brick and decorative streetlights.....it would keep consistency in the metro.

Sounds great and familiar now that I think about it.

Anything but a typical bridge would indeed be nice. Even Simpsonville's bridge designs would be acceptable.

Page 3 of this document has a small rendering, although I have seen a larger version somewhere else.

Thanks Skyliner! That is it.

The cost in the document is estimated at 3 million and the city is asking for 5 million. Hopefully they plan to go forward with the ornamental design as shown. :thumbsup:

Edited by gsupstate

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say a hospital is more expensive to build. So, would you say that in comparison St Francis would be half the size? Or 3/4ths? Dunno

Makes sense. And with this being an innovative, digital, high tech hospital, I'm sure the building cost will be higher than normal for a hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Michelin, Clemson team up

The research is valued at $1.9Million and will involve more than 20 professors and students, at both the undergrad and graduate levels. This seems like a huge step for the program. Here's a quote from the article:

"The eyes of the transportation industry are fixed squarely on the Upstate of South Carolina," he said. "We believe that the future -- not only of the automotive industry but also of transportation and mobility -- lies in the imaginations and hands of these researchers searching for ways to improve fuel economy and overall mobility."

Also, CU-ICAR announces partnership with INTEC

They hope to create 15 technology software jobs at the campus over the next 5 years. It's not huge, but it's another great partnership and step for the development. Here's a little bit about the company from the article:

INTEC U.S. Inc., a German software company headquartered in Munich (INTEC GmbH), has selected the CU-ICAR campus as headquarters for its first U.S. presence.

Michelin, Clemson team up

The research is valued at $1.9Million and will involve more than 20 professors and students, at both the undergrad and graduate levels. This seems like a huge step for the program. Here's a quote from the article:

Also, CU-ICAR announces partnership with INTEC

They hope to create 15 technology software jobs at the campus over the next 5 years. It's not huge, but it's another great partnership and step for the development. Here's a little bit about the company from the article:

Great to see Michelin partnering with ICAR. I wondered how long it would be until Michelin joined in. Both excellent announcments. :thumbsup::thumbsup: