CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Noticed this morning that part of Millennium Campus has flags and stakes EVERYWHERE. There was a guy in pick-up on site as well. This is the part of Millennium to the right of Laurens Road if you are headed South. Across Laurens from ICAR. Anyone know what is about to get underway? :dontknow: Too early for the hospital I would think.

Noticed this morning that part of Millennium Campus has flags and stakes EVERYWHERE. There was a guy in pick-up on site as well. This is the part of Millennium to the right of Laurens Road if you are headed South. Across Laurens from ICAR. Anyone know what is about to get underway? :dontknow: Too early for the hospital I would think.

Like where the old warehouse sort of building is standing now or next to the mobile home sales place?

Slightly further south. Just past the mobile home place.....the wooded area.

Thanks. I'm coming to home for a few hours today, I'll be sure to check it out on my way. G-man said there was a financing sign up too. Something must be going down... or up!

I also noticed last week that across I-85 from Hubbell is a billboard ad by Hubbell that says "proud to call Greenville home". it's a nice touch

Edited by GvilleSC

There is an article in today's Greenville News about Greenville city leaders' lobbying efforts in DC this week. The main objective was to try to secure federal funds to improve the Salters Road bridge over I-85. Their reasoning is that it will provide better access between CU-ICAR and Verdae, while also relieving some of the traffic burden on Woodruff Road. Knox White and others went on the trip. Hopefully it was productive!

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...040/1004/NEWS01

• 1 month later...

Mazda has teamed with Clemson's International Center for Automotive Research. They will be donating a CX-7 SUV and 'automobile components' for the use by the engineering program.

Irvine, Calif.-based Mazda North American Operations has made an initial pledge of $30,000 for the Mazda Annual Graduate Fellowships program. The fellowships are renewable for a potential $90,000, Clemson said.

While it's not HUGE news, it certainly is good news for the campus and program. Not only will it enable research and instruction, it will promote the program and potentially push it to another level, which could produce more partners and investors for the campus and program.

The State

Did anyone else happen to catch a glimpse of the campus yesterday evening? Wow! It was sporting a fabulous look with stylish tents and very cool images projected onto the graduate building. I hope the lighting will remain for the long term, since it was totally unique. :shades:

I saw that both from the interstate and Millennium Blvd. What was going on? It actually reminded me of the renderings of the first phase that included people hanging out and walking around the plaza...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the white pieces along the interstate are? They almost look like pvc piping. One set is put together in a fence-like fashion (a very rough resemblance at that) and the other is taller. If you haven't seen it, then this probably makes no sense at all...

Anyway, I was wondering if maybe this has to do with the rumored 'spire' that would mark CU-ICAR's presence along 85. I figured that would be what the taller pvc structure is representing, and the other is where a wall will go that will carry the campus' name?? Other wise, I can't figure it out.

Does anyone know what the white pieces along the interstate are? They almost look like pvc piping. One set is put together in a fence-like fashion (a very rough resemblance at that) and the other is taller. If you haven't seen it, then this probably makes no sense at all...

Anyway, I was wondering if maybe this has to do with the rumored 'spire' that would mark CU-ICAR's presence along 85. I figured that would be what the taller pvc structure is representing, and the other is where a wall will go that will carry the campus' name?? Other wise, I can't figure it out.

I work at CU-ICAR, and the explanation I got was that the PVC structures are mockups of two possible "icons" for the campus, and that there are folks traveling up and down I-85 looking at them to see which they like best. I'm not sure if the initially proposed spire is still in the running or not.

I work at CU-ICAR, and the explanation I got was that the PVC structures are mockups of two possible "icons" for the campus, and that there are folks traveling up and down I-85 looking at them to see which they like best. I'm not sure if the initially proposed spire is still in the running or not.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

And welcome to UP! :)

I've ridden my bike through the ICA campus the last two weekends, and I love it. Today I noticed a small lake with an old mobile home on it. It's right next to one of the traffic circles. That's not the legendary Hollingsworth mobile home, is it? :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

CU-ICAR continues to improve and add to its partnerships and everything that comes along with that.

Now, CU-ICAR has landed a partnership with "Ozen Engineering Inc. of Sunnyvale, Calif., and its associates, CADFEM GMbH of Munich, Germany, and EnginSoft, SpA, of Trento, Italy".

What this means for the campus is this:

-serve as the "center for North American operations"

-grow its employee presence at the campus to 30-40 engineers over the next few years

This group of corporations have a high profile portfolio of clientsm most of which pertain to the automotive industry:

Current clients include BMW, Ferrari, Daimler, Toyota, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Volkswagen, Siemens, Mazda, Toshiba, Bosch, TRW, Honda, Ford, Denso, Nissan, Airbus and others.

CLEMSON.EDU

---------

I assume they'll lease space in the BMW building or Timken's?

CU-ICAR continues to improve and add to its partnerships and everything that comes along with that.

Now, CU-ICAR has landed a partnership with "Ozen Engineering Inc. of Sunnyvale, Calif., and its associates, CADFEM GMbH of Munich, Germany, and EnginSoft, SpA, of Trento, Italy".

What this means for the campus is this:

-serve as the "center for North American operations"

-grow its employee presence at the campus to 30-40 engineers over the next few years

This group of corporations have a high profile portfolio of clientsm most of which pertain to the automotive industry:

CLEMSON.EDU

---------

I assume they'll lease space in the BMW building or Timken's?

Excellent news! :good:

I've ridden my bike through the ICA campus the last two weekends, and I love it.

My friends and I longboard and recently went over there and it's the best place ever, especially at night. Very nice paved roads, well lit, and almost no traffic! We went last night at around 11pm and lost track of time before we realized it was almost 1:30...went again tonight and just got home. Just thought I'd throw out a different perspective of how awesome that area is! So if any of you happen to be going through there and see some guys on longboards say hey! (and don't honk at us, we mean no harm!)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any announcement coming up at Millennium Campus?

Driving through this evening, there is a temporary stage set-up in one of the paved areas that will lead to future development

(the type of stage on wheels, with a backdrop....stairs up to the stage, etc). This is the type of stage that gets used often in groundbreakings and for major announcements. I didn't notice it two days ago. Wonder what's up?

Could this be something to do with Project Teal? :dontknow: From everything I hear, Project Teal is basically a done deal.

Anyone know of any announcement coming up at Millennium Campus?

Driving through this evening, there is a temporary stage set-up in one of the paved areas that will lead to future development

(the type of stage on wheels, with a backdrop....stairs up to the stage, etc). This is the type of stage that gets used often in groundbreakings and for major announcements. I didn't notice it two days ago. Wonder what's up?

Could this be something to do with Project Teal? :dontknow: From everything I hear, Project Teal is basically a done deal.

Is Project Teal the one that is supposed to bring 1,500 jobs? Don't know if it's related, but I heard that we are very close to landing a call center...

Is Project Teal the one that is supposed to bring 1,500 jobs? Don't know if it's related, but I heard that we are very close to landing a call center...

Did you hear what company?

Project Teal is a call center / service center from what I hear. With about 90% of the jobs falling in the 12-13 an hour range, must be call center / service center type work. Only about 5-10 percent will be high paying managerial from what everyone has said.

This stage must connected with the project announcement somehow. Why else would anyone set-up a stage on Millennium Campus in front of vacant land? :dontknow:

Is this stage set up in the same place where st. Francis is planning a hospital?

-

The stage is set-up across Millennium Blvd. from Hubble, somewhat close to the corner of Old Sulphur Springs. Most of the St. Francis banners are closer to Laurens, on the Millennium Campus road that shoots off of Millennium Blvd (don't know the road name).

How soon is St. Francis starting construction? Have they had the official ground breaking?

The stage is set-up across Millennium Blvd. from Hubble, somewhat close to the corner of Old Sulphur Springs. Most of the St. Francis banners are closer to Laurens, on the Millennium Campus road that shoots off of Millennium Blvd (don't know the road name).

How soon is St. Francis starting construction? Have they had the official ground breaking?

If it's not set up there then it's probably for a road or bike race this weekend. There are several traffic cones/barriers set up at most if not every intersection next to and in Millennium Campus. I don't know the timeline for the St. Francis campus. They have not had an official groundbreaking yet. I imagine sometime this or next year is when that will occur.