CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

I agree. It makes Greenville look deceptively small when you drive down the interstates and only see trees lining the road. Innocent passers-by have no idea that many of those trees have significant things just on the other side!

An example of this is I-385. Before the widening project began, trees lined most of the road. When trees were cleared to make room for a bigger road, it opened up a lot of office and retail space that couldn't be seen previously.

Yeah, but according to the City of Greenville, they are going to replant trees where they cut them down due to residents living right off of I-385 getting upset of all of the trees being cut down. Also, I got the I-385 landscaping blue prints sent to me from scdot showing that. :) Remember its called GREEN-ville for a reason!!!! :)

Yeah, but according to the City of Greenville, they are going to replant trees where they cut them down due to residents living right off of I-385 getting upset of all of the trees being cut down. Also, I got the I-385 landscaping blue prints sent to me from scdot showing that.  :)  Remember its called GREEN-ville for a reason!!!!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points. I am glad we are keeping the "green" in Greenville. I am definitely a big fan of trees, especially when it comes to residential neighborhoods. In fact, I hate the fact that many new neighborhoods seem to clear almost all trees from a parcel of land before building houses. It leaves neighborhoods with nice houses and only a few trees, if any. Blah. :cry:

In my previous post, I was speaking more about businesses being seen from interstates. In stretches where there are no houses, I think it is important (if not pleasing) to be able to see businesses from the road. If an out-of-towner who knew nothing about Greenville were driving through Greenville for the first time, wouldn't it be a bad thing if places like Michelin, BMW, and ICAR were totally blocked from view because of trees? I think these businesses are an important way to showcase what our city is about. It is a way for us to be defined to those who might not have the time to stop and explore the city.

With that said, I certainly don't want us to look like much of Atlanta with everything being visible from the interstate. I think there is something to be said for smart planning and keeping an area pleasingly green. I just don't want us to go too far the other way, and fail to showcase what we're about because we want to keep a few trees intact. :)

Don't post them. The point is to minimize and/or eleminate having alot of text that can be read elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As someone who is not a Clemson grad, I would have no way of getting such info. What is the problem with posting a link? Isn't part of the purpose of this forum to inform?

Good points.  I am glad we are keeping the "green" in Greenville.  I am definitely a big fan of trees, especially when it comes to residential neighborhoods.  In fact, I hate the fact that many new neighborhoods seem to clear almost all trees from a parcel of land before building houses.  It leaves neighborhoods with nice houses and only a few trees, if any.  Blah.  :cry:

In my previous post, I was speaking more about businesses being seen from interstates.  In stretches where there are no houses, I think it is important (if not pleasing) to be able to see businesses from the road.  If an out-of-towner who knew nothing about Greenville were driving through Greenville for the first time, wouldn't it be a bad thing if places like Michelin, BMW, and ICAR were totally blocked from view because of trees?  I think these businesses are an important way to showcase what our city is about.  It is a way for us to be defined to those who might not have the time to stop and explore the city.

With that said, I certainly don't want us to look like much of Atlanta with everything being visible from the interstate.  I think there is something to be said for smart planning and keeping an area pleasingly green.  I just don't want us to go too far the other way, and fail to showcase what we're about because we want to keep a few trees intact. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One example of a hidden major office park is Brookfield on Butler Rd, just off of I-385. It has several large beautiful office buildings that are hidden by a thin layer of trees - just enough to allow travelers to remain completely oblivious to its being so developed. Just across the interstate is a new business park which has been cleared for new landscaping and buildings. Its an irony that two such completely different concepts are next to one another. ^_^

Yeah, what is the big deal about not being able to post links or/and articles from websites? I mean it gives these companies more business and makes them more popular. It's really stupid if you ask me and I think we should be able to post links and/or articles from websites. <_<

I spoke with Congressman Bob Inglis Friday and our discussion turned to the problem with fuel costs these days. He seems to be a very strong proponent of hydrogen as an alternative to oil, and said that he sees this as one of his greatest passions for the State of South Carolina. He believes that here at ICAR, new technologies can be researched and developed, such as fabric for buildings (interior and exterior) that will harness energy which can then be used to power them. Overall I think he is another wonderful leader for Greenville's present and future needs. :)

Edited by Skyliner

I'd love to see South Carolina (and ICAR) get involved in research and development of some of Stanford (Stan) Ovshinsky's hydrogen technologies.

If any of you ever have the opportunity, I would highly recommend checking out the following:

PBS' SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN FRONTIERS PROGRAM #1506 "Hydrogen Hopes" hosted by Alan Alda.

It will open your eyes! :thumbsup:

Edit: Here's a transcript: http://www.pbs.org/saf/1506/resources/transcript.htm

Edited by RestedTraveler

I'm just curious... But, are the trees that front 85 going to be removed??? Trees are nice and all, but it kills the presence of these buildings. It's hard to see and I usually never even notice the BMW building at ICAR, and last time I went by, trees were left along the interstate on the Hubbell plot... do yall know or will it not end up hindering the presence that we make for ourselves along I-85???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hubbell building will be very visible from the interstate. That exposure is the main reason it is located there and the reason that the design is oriented the way it is. I would not worry; It will be an impressive structure viewed from 85.

The BMW research facility is also visible at night and looks incredible.  I love the lighting they are using! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove by last night and agree with you....incredible lighting. Love the way it changes color! The color changes are inside though....where the offices will be. Is this the lighting the employees will see? Very unique!

Great building! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The Business Section of todays Greenville News as a feature on the Millenium Campus. They have just released their master plan which can be seen in the article.

The article can be seen here.

click me to see article

also click here for another article fron sunday's paper on the campus

Thanks Brad,

I didn't realize that there were four 11 story buildings planned. That's going to be some view from the highway. :thumbsup: