CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Considering Greenville doesn’t have a public university, CU-ICAR overall all slow development, and growth constraints of Clemson main campus, I’m curious what people think of formally transforming CU-ICAR into a campus for Clemson hosting various schools, dormitories, and an overall more connected/cohesive campus. This isn’t to say to abandon CU-ICAR initial mission of building a world class automotive research center, but rather to broaden the mission of the campus and to provide Greenville with a larger university presence even if it is not technically a stand-alone university (perhaps create a Clemson University System?).

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 3

I could see Clemson using the space as a research park, as currently planned but do not see them wanting a satellite campus in Greenville. They have a similar structure of institutes and research centers in other parts of the state (Coastal Ecology and Forest Science near Georgetown) but do not house students there. While I love the idea of having more of a university presence in Greenville I am not sure this is the correct step toward that.

I think Clemson will continue to buy property surrounding the university as needed and push outward if they chose to keep expanding. I do believe they are losing there way however and should focus less on growth and more on maintaining the 25k range with excited students in their current environment. Soon it feels like downtown will be a part of the main campus.

22 hours ago, GVLover said:

Considering Greenville doesn’t have a public university, CU-ICAR overall all slow development, and growth constraints of Clemson main campus, I’m curious what people think of formally transforming CU-ICAR into a campus for Clemson hosting various schools, dormitories, and an overall more connected/cohesive campus. This isn’t to say to abandon CU-ICAR initial mission of building a world class automotive research center, but rather to broaden the mission of the campus and to provide Greenville with a larger university presence even if it is not technically a stand-alone university (perhaps create a Clemson University System?).

A few years ago, the Dean of Engineering expressed a desire to move the entire college of engineering to ICAR. Doesn't seem to have gotten any traction.  It was never clear to me how he thought you could accommodate undergrads so far away from Clemson.

2 hours ago, Exile said:

A few years ago, the Dean of Engineering expressed a desire to move the entire college of engineering to ICAR. Doesn't seem to have gotten any traction.  It was never clear to me how he thought you could accommodate undergrads so far away from Clemson.

I agree, I think it would be a hard sell to many engineering students who want to be on campus and not live 45 minutes away from campus activities and friend groups.

• 5 months later...

Upstate Alliance has relocated their offices to 3 Research Drive, in technology neighborhood I. 
According to P&C, the next building (40,000 SF spec building in technology neighborhood III) is expected to start construction this month (July). 

edit: these numbers seem to have changed from when the building was previously planned. Anyone know details? 

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

There is a $6.5mm building permit for a 39,200 SF building at 215 Innovation Drive in CU-ICAR.  I guess that is the Spec building  GvilleSC mentioned. 

You'd be correct. Here is the old ITB for that project. https://www.clemson.edu/giving/cufoundations/structure/culsf/culsf-flex-lab-building-project/documents/invitation-for-bids.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bon Secours St. Francis Health System plans to break ground this fall on a new ambulatory surgery center at its Millennium Campus that will take a substantial portion of the orthopedic, spinal, and ENT patients now seen in its hospitals.

The $30 million Millennium Surgery Center is a partnership between Bon Secours, Compass Surgical Partners, and two physician groups – Piedmont Orthopedics and Carolina ENT – and reflects a growing trend across South Carolina and the U.S.

More info: 

https://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2022/10/03/413240/ambulatory-surgery-centers-on-the-rise-in-south-carolina

Edited by gman430

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
18 hours ago, gman430 said:

According to the tax map number listed under Exhibit A, the standalone building along Innovation Drive (across from St. Francis' facilities) is where they'll be located (see below). I have not driven Innovation Drive in a long time. Has the concept of technology neighborhoods been completely abandoned? 

Anyway, it's great to see the investment and jobs. It's not clear to me what the nature of these jobs will be. Will this be a lab, or just storage of tissue?  

image.thumb.png.5685ed58f9288c9d93ba80d89632a5bb.png

Edited by GvilleSC