Rock Hill Textile Corridor

btoy

Rock Hill is in the process of looking for a Master Developer to take on the Giant mixed use Textile Corridor Master Planned Redevelopment.

The project will consist of 250 acres in the city. Various buildings will be renovated for mixed use, residantial, commercial, and a convention center.

These include three old mills, one being the Bleachery and the Rock Hill Cotton Mill.

One of the three mills is over 1,000,000 square feet alone. The total project is valued at well over $300,000,000.

See projects website

Site contains master plan, also available in PDF format, definatly check this out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool plan! Have to say, my home town is & has been very pro-active in terms of planning & development. Some of the past plans weren't that great (Towncenter Mall) but nonetheless on the forefront for the time. But this looks very promising, with the growth from the northwest section and will hopefully flow back towards the city on Hwy 5 & the proximity of Winthrop - this is a good plan.

The leading example in this long-term project is Highland Park in Rock Hill. It took about 4 years for a complete overhall of this old mill, built in 1889 and is on the national register of historic places. It closed in the 60's, and from what I saw on the news, the developers did a pretty good job. There are others in the area with much potential, and I really hope the city continues with the momentum generated with the initial renovation project.

• 1 year later...

The latest in efforts to revitalize the Textile Corridor includes the transformation of the old Cotton Factory on the edge of downtown Rock Hill from empty mill to business hub. About 200 employees from the Williams & Fudge student loan collection agency will move into the second and third floors. A second tenant, described as a major retail destination, is planned on the ground floor, but its identity is being closely guarded because talks are ongoing. An ambitious timetable has been planned: the $10 million renovation calls for work to start within two months and the project to finish by April. Read more about it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish this thread was in the Charlotte Forum. It would get more discussion and we already discuss Cabarrus, Union, Gaston, (and even York half the time) in that thread anyway. I just think this project is of more interest and value to the Charlotte community being in its region than to any other SC community. I always wonder where to discuss Rock Hill.

• 6 months later...

The latest work going on is the selective demolition of non-historic additions to the original old Cotton Mill. Here's an article I found:

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/...&headline=A

This project is so exciting in a number of ways. Kudos to the city of Rock Hill--I look forward to visiting and seeing the results! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived