Would it Really Hurt us if we lost Fort Jackson?

Hybrid0NE

What do you think?

I know that there is no way we are realistically going to lose Fort Jackson anytime soon but if so; it seems like it would be better for the city. As another forumer mentioned it would open up tons of land that has become a barrier to keep the Northeast and Southeast sections from blending into one overwhelming surburban mass. It would also limit Forest Acres growth somewhat since the entire base is already in the city limits of Columbia.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think someone said earlier and I tend to agree, it may hurt the city for a little bit but no for the long haul. Columbia isn't really a military town. It's a town that happens to have a military base.

I think if Ft. Jackson did close it could significantly help Columbia. That land would already be within city limits and development could begin with residents already there instead of being annexed in.

I think parts of Decker and Two Notch would become more of a dump. And that's not good. But I think the city as a whole would recovery quickly. With the development boom that's going, there would be 100 different creative reuse ideas -- they probably already have some drawn up.

It would hurt us for a little while, but in the long run I think it would help. Most of the soldiers at Fort Jackson are short term basic training recruits - not really people with much money to spend. There are probably a few thousand civilian jobs that would take some months to re-create, but in the long run, having that 85 or so square miles - in the heart of Richland County - open for development, would be a great thing for Columbia.

Archived