Dallas, Texas - Uptown - Victory Park

rantanamo

I thought instead of one huge post, I could spread these out in categories.

With Tuesday's(5/10/2005) announcement, Victory Park details have finally gone official and very public. I'll try to keep up with the construction and announcement's here.

Victory before anything was built. It was basically a wasteland. An old water treatment plant, old mill, and power plant. A brownfield on the edge of downtown.

h5.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phase I: American Airlines Center

The first step of Victory was the $420 million American Airlines Center(still the most expensive in the NBA). The arena was very controversial and barely passed the vote. Along with the arena was a planned urban type village. This was very very controversial. The current Mayor led the charge against it. Interesting now that she seems to never speak on the success of the arena or the fact that Victory is even happening.

The design was actually the third. The arches and barrell vaulted roof remained from the original, but the brick was added later. The original design was much more glass dominated

arena9.jpg

Groundbreaking

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

Construction begins

eventphoto_nr4large.jpg

arena11.jpg

americanairlinesI.jpg

DSC00028.JPG

presentation10005.jpg

aac_view_corner2.jpg

Finally completed in the summer of 2001

aa-center-web.jpg

sample.jpg

aac-concession-area-east-web.jpg

aac_view_downt.jpg

After the AAC opened, 9/11 took place. The idea of Victory started to die as the developer, Palladium, pulled out, so Victory's development corp Hillwood and with the leadership of billionaires Tom Hicks and Ross Perot Jr, Victory began to change its identity.

Once new and improved plans were made for Victory in 2003, the next step was to demolish the power station, and extend DART light rail to the arena and Victory.

Victory Station

victorystationaerial.jpg

Now the station is open and makes a great stop for gamedays, concerts and tours of the arena, as well as serving future residents and workers of Victory Park. It also serves as a stop for the TRE from Fort Worth and other points west.

victorystation.jpg

victorystationplatform3.jpg

victorystationplatform2.jpg

victorystationplatform1.jpg

TREAACenter.jpg

I'm very excited for this, as well.

I am a little apprehensive about how up-scale it seems to be. I know Uptown is an upscale place, but I wonder how much D/FW can handle. We already have a lot of places to leave tons of cash in terms of shopping, and I am concerned that the average resident won't be able to make Victory a frequent destination for shopping and entertainment. However, I do think anything that goes there is much-needed. We need a place like that in/near downtown to give us something to do. I like the idea of riding to Victory from my apartment and never having to get in my car to have access to some fun stuff!

Semi-related: AAC is a great concert venue, and I'm normally apprehensive about arena shows. But the design is really well-done. I've sat on the floor, in the first, second, and top tiers, and always had a great view. So, go see a show there! But also, I'd like to see figures for the success of Victory DART usage. The last show I want to there, we were going to use the rail, but we realized if you go in a group, it's still cheaper to pay 8, 9, or 10 bucks for parking one car than it is to ride the RAIL. And with so many lots around there, traffic isn't usually that bad (unless you're at a DMB show and you have to swerve around the tailgaters). Just wonderin' about that...

I don't worry about the upscale nature of it at all. Victory is no different than Turtle Creek, except these towers will be urban rather than the "in the park" type towers there. The Dallas luxury market is far underserved according to developers, as is its urban demand.. The general public will get all the Victory they want with the AAC, Museum of Natural History and most importantly, office space. Plus we still don't know what will come in future phases. I imagine the land Besides this place is directly one block from the West End. The retail, clubs, restaurants, etc announced so far are nothing above what one would see at NorthPark, Highland Park Village, Willow Bend or the Galleria. The public frequents those places.

For the regular folks, there will be plenty of stuff like this built. You still have The West Village/Cityplace development, Citylights, Mockingbird Station, and the very, very, very promising Park Lane Place. Not to mention, there are much cheaper conversions and even a new residential tower going up right now with others planned downtown. We'll probably see a similar area to these in the Cedars, as developers have already said that they intend to do this, and are acquiring land for it.

Anyways, I'll do a W-Hotel post next, and then continue on with subsequent phases. I'll do the same with other areas like The Arts District, Bryan Place, West Village, etc.

For the regular folks, there will be plenty of stuff like this built.  You still have The West Village/Cityplace development, Citylights, Mockingbird Station, and the very, very, very promising Park Lane Place.  Not to mention, there are much cheaper conversions and even a new residential tower going up right now with others planned downtown.  We'll probably see a similar area to these in the Cedars, as developers have already said that they intend to do this, and are acquiring land for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing is the West Village and Mockingbird Station, apart from the eateries, aren't for "regular folks." I like to spend a pretty penny in both locations, but you don't walk into Octane, pay 200 for a t-shirt, and think the average Dallasite is doing that too. It seems like the bulk of new developments are really being geared to just high-end consumers. That's a big part of what worries me. Aside from NorthPark (which has some history), the other upscale retail isn't that full of character. McKinney/Oak Lawn has lost a lot of its unique feel since the Village became what it is today. It's not the same place it was 5 years ago...and that's what I'm afraid the city's going to be overrun with.

I think Park Lane looks promising. I hope it actually moves somewhere, unlike Cityplace, which isn't developing like its original projection.

So that's a big part of my concern. This development, if not handled well, can end up being like the HPShopping Village Part II --and that's not something that adds flavour to Dallas. I just think we need some developments akin to Deep Ellum, perhaps less bohemiam, but more Dallas-centric.

What I really hope this does is bridge the gap between Downtown and Uptown. Not necessarily make them one big homogenous neighbourhood, but make them flow into each other so they're not completely different districts.

Rantanamo, can you post some of those AA Ctr construction shots over at the DFWU Forum? I think a few guys/gals there would love to see that again - after all these years. (Or wait, is it already there somewhere and I missed it?)

• 1 month later...

I've seen 2015 as an optimistic finish out date. One has to remember that this is a huge undertaking though. Total finish out would entail square footage comparable to places like downtown Austin or Ft Worth. Anyway, to continue the story. The next step for Victory was the W-Hotel and Residences. This started out as a 1 tall tower project that ended up as two towers attached to a base. The tower is probably the fastest rising tower I've seen in person and is looking good.

rtr109lk.jpg

ut46wz.jpg

picture9pi.jpg

You can see the parking garage being built for the Terrace Park and Vista that will go next to the W. Its the big hole in front the W. Needless to say, this area will be drastically different in one year

328070.jpg

Wondering the impact that Victory will have on the skyline?

original.jpg

keep in mind that the W's neighbor will be much taller, and that that there will be a nice cluster of W sized towers.

The next phase will simply be awesome. The next round of announcements have been coming out one by one with really exciting projects all starting in the next calendar year. Here are some renderings in the order of projected groundbreaking

Terrace Park condos and Vista Apartments. These have begun construction next to the W. They will sit adjacent to the actual Victory Park

072804_victory.jpg

Victory Plaza. This should be the next to start. The bases were built when the AAC was built and still stand. A mock-up of the facade has been erected next to the site. Can't wait to see the video boards(they have been officially confirmed)

victoryplaza02.jpg

The Icon. 27-story residential to go up next door to the AAC(Eastern neighbor and diagonally NE from the W. This one will be apartments and was announced to break ground in August. I hope so.

victoryicontower.jpg

The House. The next tower should be very interesting. I don't know if I should put it before The Icon or after until the announcement(which is Monday!!!!!!). A very interesting campaign has been going around Dallas and the web to announce it. See the website here: http://www.canyookeepasecret.com/features_amenities.htm. All we know is 26 story residential and retail with Phillipe Starcke interiors. next to the Terrace Park Condos. Wonder what the press conference will say. Could be a groundbreaking or a reveal of the rendering. The site has already built its construction fence, which The Icon hasn't yet. Can't wait.

Victory One. Kind of secretive project, with several alternatives being shown. So it could look much better or much worse than the rendering. It has been announced as 45 stories and over 600 ft tall and starting this year. There will be two attached towers with office space, large retail and residential. This will sit next to the W across from the AAC. The tallest building in a long time in Dallas.

aia.jpg

The last announcement this week is the one eastsider posted. Two office towers scheduled to start in '06. Should be a good year of craneage. Hopefully more announcements are to come soon. If not, Dallas has already been spoiled this year with the new towers and renovations downtown, the first bridge starting and all the new towers going up in Uptown.

Thank you very much for this information. I live in Dallas (have all my life) and have noticed lately there is a lot of change going on in the Downtown area.... (that's how I found this website). Your information answered a lot of my questions. It is good to know that Dallas is taking huge strides.

It really is impressive to see just how fast the W Hotel has risen.

I hope the Victory One project will still have that waterwall section. That would be very cool.

Can't wait for the starck/yoo site and the victorypark site to get their fresh updates so we can have some solid updated looks at the near future.

This is from GlobeSt.com about The House announcement

Starck, making his second design mark on Dallas in nearly 30 years, has pulled together a self-sustaining high-rise environment of mixed-use space. Taking up a 1.5-acre block in the 75-acre Victory, the four-story base will contain 30,000 sf of retail, including room for a specialty grocer, and four parking levels and topped off with a 20-story spire with 150 condos. The signature Starck Park will be a Garden of Eden-style buffer of dense landscaping, patios and pools that separate the parking component from first level of residential units.

The story also said that the exterior will be made of glass, white concrete, and stainless steel with construction begining in early 2006 and occupancy in early 2008.

Story at http://www.globest.com/news/315_315/dallas/135675-1.html

The is the website for The House http://www.thehousebystarck.com/

• 1 month later...

A recent article about Victory Park mostly about the W Dallas Hotel and Residences that is currently under construction. It also listed other projects that are planned or under way:

The Vista, a 125-unit apartment complex with street-level retail scheduled to be ready in 2006.

The Terrace, a 95-unit condominium project with specialty retail and patio dining space located on a walkway overlooking a park, due to be ready in 2006.

Victory Plaza, a two-building, 180,000-square-foot office project that Hillwood plans just south of the American Airlines Center. The buildings are scheduled to be complete in summer 2006. One building will include a television studio and offices for WFAA-TV (Channel 8), which will bring live television shows and celebrities to the venue.

One Victory Park, the first phase of two 18-story office towers totaling about 800,000 square feet of space, including 350,000 square feet of office space and 20,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurant and shop space. Hillwood, the real estate company owned by Ross Perot Jr., has entered a joint venture with Houston-based developer Hines for the project. Dallas-based BOKA Powell has designed One Victory Park, which is slated for late 2007 occupancy.

Cirque, a 260-unit multifamily project by Houston-based The Hanover Corp., planned to open in mid-2007.

The House by Starck and Yoo, a 26-story condominium project with 10 penthouse units on the top four floors and 140 standard units of one to three bedrooms. The ground level of the building will have more than 30,000 square feet of retail space and include an upscale grocery store, shops and restaurants. Renowned designer Phillippe Starck and his associates will design the $80 million building, which is due for completion in 2008.

The Dallas Museum of Nature and Science will also likely open in 2008-2009.

Dallas Business Journal: Victory Surge

• 4 weeks later...

Luxury hotel company, Manarin Oriental, is planning a hotel-condominium project in Victory Park, near the American Airlines Center. A formal annoucement could be made in the next few weeks. The Hong Kong based company has six hotels in the U.S. and is planning to open hotel-condo projects in Boston in 2007 and Chicago in 2008.

Dallas Morning News: Madarin Oriental plans Victory hotel

• 2 weeks later...

The next phase will simply be awesome. The next round of announcements have been coming out one by one with really exciting projects all starting in the next calendar year. Here are some renderings in the order of projected groundbreaking

Terrace Park condos and Vista Apartments. These have begun construction next to the W. They will sit adjacent to the actual Victory Park

072804_victory.jpg

Victory Plaza. This should be the next to start. The bases were built when the AAC was built and still stand. A mock-up of the facade has been erected next to the site. Can't wait to see the video boards(they have been officially confirmed)

victoryplaza02.jpg

The Icon. 27-story residential to go up next door to the AAC(Eastern neighbor and diagonally NE from the W. This one will be apartments and was announced to break ground in August. I hope so.

victoryicontower.jpg

The House. The next tower should be very interesting. I don't know if I should put it before The Icon or after until the announcement(which is Monday!!!!!!). A very interesting campaign has been going around Dallas and the web to announce it. See the website here: http://www.canyookeepasecret.com/features_amenities.htm. All we know is 26 story residential and retail with Phillipe Starcke interiors. next to the Terrace Park Condos. Wonder what the press conference will say. Could be a groundbreaking or a reveal of the rendering. The site has already built its construction fence, which The Icon hasn't yet. Can't wait.

Victory One. Kind of secretive project, with several alternatives being shown. So it could look much better or much worse than the rendering. It has been announced as 45 stories and over 600 ft tall and starting this year. There will be two attached towers with office space, large retail and residential. This will sit next to the W across from the AAC. The tallest building in a long time in Dallas.

aia.jpg

The last announcement this week is the one eastsider posted. Two office towers scheduled to start in '06. Should be a good year of craneage. Hopefully more announcements are to come soon. If not, Dallas has already been spoiled this year with the new towers and renovations downtown, the first bridge starting and all the new towers going up in Uptown.

Archived