Will there ever be a freeway in Florida?

gjoseph

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps he means new freeways? And if so, then the answer is a resounding yes, as Orlando and Jax are both finishing connecting their beltways (though you could argue that Orlando's isn't a "free"way since its all toll roads).

The more appropriate question would be - "Will there ever be more than 1 freeway in Orlando in the next 5-15 years?" My answer would be, don't count on it; especially after the Orlando/Orange County Expressway Authority finishes expanding the toll roads. Also, don't expect the Florida Turnpike Authority to change that road into a freeway anytime soon, although it functions as an Interstate highway.

The era of Freeway construction is gone and a new era of Toll roads is coming into play. The official media reason; "Hybrid vehicles are using less gas, causing Gas taxes to drop, meaning less money for highway construction". A more common sense approach; too many stupid politicians cutting taxes and awarding money to local "Pork barrell" projects. Anyway, expect to see more Tollways than Freeways; not only in Florida, but the rest of the country as well. California has already stopped building freeways; they are now building Tollways modeled after (guess who?) Orlando's.

Is Orlando the only city getting a new "freeway"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Jax is getting a couple new ones, too. An eastern beltway, to complete the I-295 loop is already well under construction. There's only about a 3 mile segment left, currently u/c, to complete the loop. Everything else is finished.

Other projects scheduled to get underway soon, include I-795 and an outer beltway )from I-10 to I-95 via Branan Chaffee Rd, Clay and St. Johns Counties.

The Southside Connector, between the Arlington Expressway and 9A, near Regency Mall is also currently being upgraded to expressway status.

Miami has a project that involves completely reconfiguring the feeder roads that go into Miami International Airport and the new Miami Intermodal Center. Soon you will be able to drive directly into these two facilities from two expressways without stopping at a single light.

Other than that, new expressway construction is pretty much out of the question in the Miami area, with no open spaces left to build them. Maintenance and reconstruction of existing highways is what's being done.

State Road 836 (Dolphin Expressway) is being extended three miles west of its current terminus to relieve congestion on the main arterial that runs parallel to it, US 41 (SW 8th Street). The Turnpike is being widened to eight lanes in the heaviest-trafficked areas, the Palmetto Expressway (826) is being reconstructed and widened to 8 lanes. There are also several new interchanges and flyovers either in the works or already under construction.

In Broward, I-595 may be widened or get reversible lanes, and I-95 south of Fort Lauderdale was recently resurfaced. And in Palm Beach at one time there was talk of converting Southern Blvd (US 98) into a limited access east-west roadway west of I-95. What became of that I am not sure.

Mass transit has become a greater priority rather than just pure highway building. Expanding heavy rail, adding light rail streetcars, adding a parallel track to our commuter rail line, etc. The capacity is simply much greater.

Is Orlando the only city getting a new "freeway"?

I didn't know anything in Orlando was free.

Sorry about that.

What's the final verdict on Orlando, will the new expressway be free or toll?

I'm going down there sometime around Thanksgiving (yeah, I know it's a little too early to mention this). Just wanted to know.

Also, what will it be called?
An outer beltway would likely be called I-495 if it gets an interstate designation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't there already an I-495 near Miami? They couldn't redesignate any road in Florida like that, you can't have two interstates with the same number in the same state, unless of course it is one road, but from what I'm hearing this will be two, so I'm not sure they could do that.

And in Palm Beach at one time there was talk of converting Southern Blvd (US 98) into a limited access east-west roadway west of I-95. What became of that I am not sure.

I think they're still going through with that. Some of Southern is already a highway, near the airport. But they've cleard land adjacent to the entire road, to widen it. And I think they will have overpasses at the intersections.

That is all.

Theve got all of the I-?95's covered in other states also, so you can have the designation. Usually a loop bypass is designated with a 2 (i.e. 295) and the single bypass from the interstate to another area will be designated with a odd number in front of the interstate number (I-595, I-795, I-395). I think that is how it goes.

Are you talking about 9B as the outer beltway?. 9B is currently under design, it will connect to 9A just south of baymeadows road and run into Northern St. Johns County. They are then talking about another river crossing, between Shands and Buckman. This road would eventually connect 9B to the whole BFC system which connects to I-10. I'm not sure if this will ever get an interstate designation becuase BFC isn't as limited access as was originally intentioned by JTA/FDOT.

Archived