Tampa Traffic

gjoseph

How come in Tampa, we can't build a freeway or have a light rail system. Have you realized that with the streetcar system running from Ybor City, to Channelside those areas have boomed tremendously. Most likely without the streetcar those areas would probably look the same they looked before :( . Maybe if they build a Freeway or have Light Rail this city would have a more of a bigger boom and traffic will be allieveated. I mean come on they have a freakin Freeway in North Carolina how come we can't have a Freeway in FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what happens when you have a limited amount of roads, poor transit, and everyone is trying to use the roads at the same time. It's all about capacity, and when you are a driver sitting in a car all by yourself, you take up a lot of space on the road. Multiply that by tens of thousands of drivers on the road and you can begin to see that this isn't sustainable. A train, on the other hand, can carry many times more people all at once and takes up less space in comparison.

Unfortunately, the city of Tampa and Hillsborough County, have no one, but themselves to blame for the bad conditions on I-275. Half the traffic on the road would be re-routed if the Veterans Expressway were extended a couple miles east to connect to I-275 & I-75 in New Tampa, creating a beltway around town.

Freeways/expressways/interstates/any roads at all are the last thing the Tampa area needs to invest more land and money in building. We need to think ahead and build for the furture of those roads, but also build a real transit system. A transit system itself could help sustain and help grow current areas without taking up much room. Of course the system will probably never make money, but our roads don't either (excluding toll roads).

The original plan was to make the Veterans Xway go all the way to I-75. However, a highly potent civic group in the Lutz community blocked that from happening. Now that proposal has been erased... at least for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of spite I'd like to see lutz leveled for an extension of the VetEx but according to FDOT, Tampa, and Hillsborough County that won't happen soon, if at all. I think the alternative that is being looked at is a beltway around the east side connecting the suncoast parkway, I-75 in the north to I-4, Polk Parkway, and I-75 in the south. At least I know they're doing a study on it. I'd rather see money invested in high-speed, commuter, and light rail as well as other mass transit options before we build more roads.

It's too bad that the vet won't be extended because the latitude where it ends at Dale Mabry is about perfect for running into New Tampa/ Cross Creek rd at I75. That would be great for connecting New Tampa with the rest of North Hillsborough and Pinellas even and of course a great alternative to TIA. Furthermore, the Van Dyke and Dale Mabry crossroads area is becoming more and more a commercial destination not to mention the 4 super large Churches in the area. Lutz is going to be sorry in the near future that they did not allow the expressway to drain and relieve their local roads. Maybe they can reconsider.

It's too bad that the vet won't be extended because the latitude where it ends at Dale Mabry is about perfect for running into New Tampa/ Cross Creek rd at I75. That would be great for connecting New Tampa with the rest of North Hillsborough and Pinellas even and of course a great alternative to TIA. Furthermore, the Van Dyke and Dale Mabry crossroads area  is becoming more and more a commercial destination not to mention the 4 super large Churches in the area. Lutz is going to be sorry in the near future that they did not allow the expressway to drain and relieve their local roads. Maybe they can reconsider.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One can hope. I could never understand their reasoning behind their opposition and the state actually giving in. When has that stopped them before? Look at west meadows in new tampa. They don't want the east west road but it's going to be built anyway. Why not the same thing with lutz. Back to my trying to understand lutz, I have to say I can see why no one would want an expressway running through their backyard but would you rather have all those cars sitting in front of your house and cutting through your neighborhood? People just don't think ahead I guess. No forward thinkers out there and now when their are major traffic problems they have themselves to blame. No complaining to the DOT to do something.

^ So is it safe to say that people in Lutz are just plain Nuts??? I never understood why the Veteran's Expwy was never extented to I-75 and now I know.

Personally, I foresee more of an Inter-Regional transportation network in the future for all of Central Fla. There will eventually have to be an alternative to I-4 between Tampa & Orlando and I think there will be a new Expressway maybe connecting the Selmon Expwy, running along SR 60, then around Lakeland/Winter Haven and connecting the to the Turnpike in Osceola County. In addition, I think the bullet train will eventually be built between the two cities, but in addition to the original propsed route from Orlando Int'l to Disney to Downtown Tampa; there should be a link to downtown Orl.

What does everyone else think? Possible?

^ So is it safe to say that people in Lutz are just plain Nuts??? I never understood why the Veteran's Expwy was never extented to I-75 and now I know.

Personally, I foresee more of an Inter-Regional transportation network in the future for all of Central Fla. There will eventually have to be an alternative to I-4 between Tampa & Orlando and I think there will be a new Expressway maybe connecting the Selmon Expwy, running along SR 60, then around Lakeland/Winter Haven and connecting the to the Turnpike in Osceola County. In addition, I think the bullet train will eventually be built between the two cities, but in addition to the original propsed route from Orlando Int'l to Disney to Downtown Tampa; there should be a link to downtown Orl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not with the present governor, but I do see it happening at some time in the close future. Davis for Governor!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Polk County portion of this alternative expressway, the East-West Expressway, was proposed in the early 1990's. However, it was heavily defeated by environmentalist groups (the proposed path was within 2 miles of Bok Tower) and wealthy suburban residents living around Cypress Gardens.

BTW, I think the idea of building a 7 county Eastern Beltway, around Tampa, is the most crazy idea yet, by this asphalt loving state.

Im not sure about Tampa but neighboring city St.Petersburg did but too expensive

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too expensive? That seems like a lie. How can commuter rail on existing tracks be too expensive, but converting US 19 into an expressway or building a monorail system not be?

^^^Exactly. The road-builders seem to have a lot of political clout with Jeb and the big boys in Tallahassee. I wonder how much they contributed to his campaigne.

Anyway, since there's no support (at this time) for a statewide system...

I wonder if the counties along the coast (Sarasota, Manatee, Hillsborough and Pinellas) haven't considered coming together and forming a regional transit authority, like the one in south Florida or the one in San Francisco Bay. A commuter train along the existing CSX line going Sarasota to Tampa then over to Pinellas (ending in DT St. Pete) seems feasible and very logical. It would only have one stop in each city (maybe two or three strategic stops in Tampa and St. Pete). I'm pretty sure it would pay for itself, and make the area that much more attractive to business development due to access to a larger workforce.

A similar agreement could be reached between Hillsborough, Polk, Osceola and Orange for a commuter line from Tampa to Orlando, with a transfer station in Tampa alowing workers (and tourists) to go from the coastal communities to the inland communties without driving. Not only would it help decrease congestion, but it would have tremendous a positive economic impact. We'd become a true super region like DC/Baltimore. Imagine that! (It's already starting to happen with the Florida High Tech Corridor initiative.)

Each county's individual transit authority could develop their own light rail/monorail system for more localized travel.

It's going to happen eventually. It just seems like it will be later (and much more expensive) rather than sooner.

I think a commuter rail system would work perfectly in Tampa Metro; also no new highways would have to be built. If anyone hasn't already seen it, take a little at the article I posted that gives an insight of how Orlando metro is planning a commuter rail system...

Orlando Metro Commuter Rail

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always wondered why instead of building that behemoth of a bridge on the Crosstown, they didn't just run a commuter line from lakeland through plant city, brandon to Tampa's Union Station. Same with the north from Hernando to Tampa. Of course most of the things these county commissions do or don't do make no sense.

I wonder if the counties along the coast (Sarasota, Manatee, Hillsborough and Pinellas) haven't considered coming together and forming a regional transit authority, like the one in south Florida or the one in San Francisco Bay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you believe there already is one? :) I rarely hear about it and they don't appear to have a website, but there is a Tampa Bay Commuter Transit Authority on the books, that is supposed to serve Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Manatee, Polk, and Sarasota counties. The board doesn't seem to carry much weight as of yet.

The South Florida Regional Transportation Authority was created by an act of the Legislature (previously known as the Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority). It had tremendous support from the MPOs of all three counties (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach), as well as FDOT and the local legislative delegations, which is probably why it passed.

^Makes you wonder, because that definately would have been cheaper and quicker to achieve.  However, it most likely has to do with locals not wanting to park their car at a station, ride into downtown, and then have to walk to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHAAAA!!! :cry::cry:

Well I think you're right, I mean I know I hate walking in the heat but now they have that trolley thing downtown right? If they expanded the route where it was strictly downtown and operated all the streets it could work. At least give an alternative, but now thanks to Hillsboroughs $450 million dollar mistake (and Ronda Storms) there probably won't be commuter line between brandon and tampa anytime soon. Unless the people revolt, which probably won't happen.

^ She is your single biggest obstacle to progress. Isn't she supposed to be facing term limits soon? Good riddance.

If they had shaded walkways and stops, the walk would at least be bearable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GOD I HOPE SO!!!! Hopefully once the queen of maybeline is gone maybe something will get done, since I live in her district maybe I will run, get some new life on that commission.

Shaded walkways would be good especially if they do like Vegas and add misting devices that keep ya cool.

Archived