Greenville Bombers

Started going to the games this week. Baseball is a sport that I usually have very little interest in with football getting most of my attention. I have enjoyed the couple of games I have been to and will be going back. Very young team it seems, but I think they have potential. Can't wait untill the downtown stadium is finished. Has anyone else attended any of these games?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been swamped with work lately, so my few opportunities to get a breath of fresh air have been used to do necessities and keeping up on downtown activities.

I definitely plan to go sometime this season, but I and several others will make downtown baseball a regular outing. :D

? What are the concessions like for the Bombers games?

? Are there any special activities for adults and kids?

Started going to the games this week. Baseball is a sport that I usually have very little interest in with football getting most of my attention. I have enjoyed the couple of games I have been to and will be going back. Very young team it seems, but I think they have potential. Can't wait untill the downtown stadium is finished. Has anyone else attended any of these games?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took my wife and kids to Opening Night vs. the Charleston Riverdogs. It was great. For the first time ever, I had to park in the grass lot behind the Stadium. When we went to Braves Games, we usually were able to get a parking place right in front of the front gate.

edit: Forgot to mention: Theo Epstein, the very young Senior Vice President/General Manager of the Boston Red Sox, was there at Opening Night - we sat just a few rows behind him.

edit: Also, my wife and kids went out to have their photo taken with the Red Sox 2004 World Series Trophy (I had to work and wasn't able to go).

? What are the concessions like for the Bombers games?

? Are there any special activities for adults and kids?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The concessions are pretty typical of what they were at the Braves Games. Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Hot Dogs, Pretzels, Cotton Candy, Peanuts, Beer, Soda, Ice Cream. I hope there is something a little more up-scale at the new ballpark - it doesn't have to be baskets of crabs like they serve at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland or anything - but just some regional faire...shrimp and grits, etc. :)

As for special activities, there are still the between-innings games and activities for the kids. Additionally, we saw a GREAT fireworks display at opening night.

All in all, it's a great value - especially considering the ticket prices and the Wednesday Afternoon Getaways.

For more information, check out:

http://www.bomberball.com/

We can only hope that winning the Title is their ultimate goal. These days it is much harder to watch pro sports because of the selfishness and greediness of athletes looking for more money to spend. I love the game of baseball and hope it will become an integral part of the Greenville community. :) BTW, nice photo of the Fam with the World Series trophy! What an opportunity! B)

These days it is much harder to watch pro sports because of the selfishness and greediness of athletes looking for more money to spend.  I love the game of baseball and hope it will become an integral part of the Greenville community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya. And I agree. I find it interesting though that Erwin-Penland's advertisinig campaign for the bomobers leverages this. :) Have you seen the ads?

"Come see them before they own an Escalade."

"Come see them before they sign a multi-million-dollar contract."

etc.

I, too, love the game and trust that it will definitely become and remain part of the "fabric" of our community.

BTW, nice photo of the Fam with the World Series trophy! What an opportunity!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I wish I could have joined them :(

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the ballpark will look very similar to Fenway Park in Boston, though obviously on a smaller scale. This will be great for the fans of the game of baseball because that ballpark has a unique nostalgic feeling, taking you back to good old summer days when the sport was played because of the sport and not money. I'm excited that ground has finally been broken. :)

I believe the ballpark will look very similar to Fenway Park in Boston, though obviously on a smaller scale.  This will be great for the fans of the game of baseball because that ballpark has a unique nostalgic feeling, taking you back to good old summer days when the sport was played because of the sport and not money.  I'm excited that ground has finally been broken. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as ballparks go, it's definitely going to be one of the prettiest in the country, that's for sure. And very quaint...no more than 12 rows back from the action at any time. You will all be amazed and in love with the game of baseball again.

Is it me, or is Greenville really doing things right compared to other places?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not just you, the reality is just what you perceive it to be in this case.

I moved up here from Orlando 5 years or so ago, myself. I just LOVE it here, for all the same reasons as everybody else, it seems!

Thanks alot guys,

I've been living in the area for 2 years now, and absolutely love it.

Is it me, or is Greenville really doing things right compared to other places?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your perception is correct about Greenville! GV is doing things right!

I too moved here only a few years ago. My company tagged me to open a Southeastern office. As a southerner by birth (though not from the Carolinas) my company ask me to check out several cities in the south. Atlanta was an obvious choice as I had lived there. After much research on cities, I was steered to the Carolinas because of the high amount of investment by Europeans (my company is Italian). Aftre checking out several NC cities, and also Columbia and Charleston, Greenville easily won. The moment I stepped off the plane and saw the amount of trees around the airport I was hooked! My initial visit to Greenville blew me away! I had only passed Greenville on 85, had never been. It's great now when family, friends or others in the company visit Greenville for the first time.....they fall in love! So that's the long and short of why I'm here.

Is GV doing things right? Hell yes! I think the difference that separates Greenville is the level of detail. Other cities build tall buildings, build arts centers, new parks, everything Greenville is doing.....but the execution of projects in other cities usually miss details. GV does not miss a single detail! I think the overall vision here is very clear compared to other cities and I think Knox White is an INCREDIBLE mayor guiding it all. It's as if Greenville is his own little "Sim City" and he's building utopia. :lol: The man has vision!

Add to all this, the fact GV has four true seaons (climate is the best in the South), the city sits in a geographically beautiful area and the city sits midway between the South's two dominant cities (Atlanta and Charlotte) on I-85.

The city has the right things going for it and the mayor and population are smart enough to recognize those things and capitalize on them! While that may sound simple, many cities never recognize or capitalize on their strengths. Greenville gets it!

Very well written, gsupstate! Very well, indeed. Your comments echo my thoughts, exactly.

I, too, had passed by Greenville a few times while driving from Atlanta over to Charlotte/Lake Wylie to visit my brother. At the time, I-85 was under re-construction and was nothing like it is today. It was, in short, a mess. I was aware, geographically, of where I was; however, the thought to exit off and explore never crossed my mind.

Well, as the fates would have it, my in-laws moved to Greenville from Orlando back in 1997 (choosing Greenville over Anaheim, CA, themselves). In June of 2000, our first child was born in Orlando. We drove up to Greenville from Orlando for a long weekend at the end of July to visit the new grandparents. During our visit, we fell in love with Greenville (especially Downtown). Within the year, I had convinced my employer to allow me to work remotely and we moved.

The climate and the location between Atlanta and Charlotte were a draw for me as well. Additionally, the proximity to the Blue Ridge Escarpment and Asheville was something I found favorable.

I agree - the people and planners in Greenville doesn't miss one single detail. They don't overlook or take for granted strengths that other municipalities tend to do. They also tend to find brilliant ways to uncover hidden strengths/jewels. Cleveland Park, the Falls Park, and the planned Mayberry Park, for example.

And, all the while, they're patient enough to ensure that the overall vision for downtown is met and that the city's best interests are kept in mind (the situation with the Greenville Braves and the new ballpark comes to mind as well as the situation with the Gateway site).

Greenville truly does "get it," indeed.

A photo update of ballpark construction from this evening:

Signage announcing construction:

20050528_0000.jpg

These were taken from near the Allen Temple Church near what will be the Right Field Line. It gives you an idea of the view of downtown Greenville you'll have from the ballpark.

20050528_0001.jpg

20050528_0002.jpg

20050528_0003.jpg

20050528_0006.jpg

Archived