Greenville Bombers

Indeed, I agree with all the well written posts about Greenville "doing things right" in terms of urban redevelopment.

How many times have the naysayers said "parking will be a nightmare at the BiLo Center, it should go on I-85", "tearing down the Camperdown Bridge is crazy", or "put the baseball stadium on I-385". Each time Mayor White said they were wrong, took the heat, and had the guts to see that the right decision was made. In less than a year everyone will realize how stupid it was to ever doubt that the West End was the best location for the ballpark.

It would be remiss not to also mention the considerable heat he took on the emenient domain controversy involving the Riverplace project.

It should now be quite obvious to even the naysayers that the considerable investment made by Greenville in downtown and West End is really starting to pay some serious dividends.

I hope that White runs for another term, but he is already one term (3rd) beyond what he initially promised to serve. At some point, I wouldn't mind seeing him run for governor.

To quote someone in a letter to the editor on a total different subject, "Leaders lead. Politicians who only take us where we wanted to go in the first place are bus drivers" -- Shell Suber III

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think too many of the naysayers are boycotting these new developments either. And if they are, it isn't causing any problems for the shops, parks, or the city in general. :P

Knox White has indeed shown a great ability to handle the pressures of a few negative people. One thing I would definitely like to see him push harder is better regulation of the styles of new buildings in the downtown area. No more simple boxes. Property is at a premium in the CBD, and really good pieces of land are becoming harder than ever to find these days. We should be capitalizing on every new development and creating an image for Greenville's skyline as well as its ground-level, which will stick in people's mind. :)

A Taste of Fenway Park

A nice article in the Greenville News today about the new ballpark:

Click Here

Some things to look forward to:

- Field Dimensions similar to those at Fenway Park

- A 30-foot Green Wall without any advertisements

- An old fashioned manually operated scoreboard

- Stadium seats behind Home Plate and down the Left Field and Right Field lines which...the seats will have arms (some, if not all, with cup-holders, I hope) and retractable seats

- A grass berm down in the left field corner for additional lawn seating

- A picnic area with benches down in the right field corner

- A dark green metal canopy roof covering the main seating sections

- 17 luxury boxes or private corporate suites

Additionally, the construction could use bricks salvaged from an old mill which is being deconstructed, depending on the condition of the bricks and the timing of ballpark construction in conjunction with the mill deconstruction. This would really make the ballpark look and feel as if it had been there forever...I hope this part of the plan works out.

I can almost smell the fenway dogs, popcorn, and peanuts in the air now...

Edit: The DLR Group from Overland Park, Kansas is designing the ballpark in coopertion with the City of Greenville and the Bombers. Here's their web site:

http://www.dlrgroupsports.com/sports/

I have to admit that I was one of those skeptics who didn't see the point in removed the Camperdown Bridge. I can also say that I am quite pleased at the success of that project.

I think the arguements for putting the stadium outside of downtown are good. its not just an issue of parking or traffic either. A stadium is dead space. There are more days where the stadium sits unused than used. When it isnt used it creates a barrier for pedestrian activity. Most pedistrians don't like to walk through dead space.

That said, I don't oppose it's location :) The whole West End development plan its truely awsome, and I am quite envious because Spartanburg can't make similar strides with its much smaller Renaissance Park area.

I think the arguements for putting the stadium outside of downtown are good. its not just an issue of parking or traffic either. A stadium is dead space. There are more days where the stadium sits unused than used. When it isnt used it creates a barrier for pedestrian activity. Most pedistrians don't like to walk through dead space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Call me an oddball, but I tend to be one pedestrian who walks to ballparks even during the off season or when the home team is out of town. :) It started out as just plain dumb luck/timing on my part. It's turned into a hobby.

I believe the surrounding mixed-use development at this particular site will still draw and be a source for pedestrian traffic even during the other 240 days of the year.

The ball park itself may not be always in use, BUT, their will be retail and office around it and it will be used even when games are not in town. Also they can use the park for things other than just baseball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way the stadium is designed, there is very little frontage on Pendleton St. So it certainly won't impede pedestrian movement there. The other streets were fronted only by abandoned overgrown property. What would discourage pedestrian traffic more than that?

Also, there will be concerts and other events at the stadium, not just baseball.

As for Renanissance Park, to me it a waste because noone has any reason to be there, it is set off by itself. There is nothing (restaurant, ice cream shop, gallery,etc. ) to interact with it, no snergy.

I believe the surrounding mixed-use development at this particular site will still draw and be a source for pedestrian traffic even during the other 240 days of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way the stadium is designed, there is very little frontage on Pendleton St.  So it certainly won't impede pedestrian movement there.  The other streets were fronted only by abandoned overgrown property.  What would discourage pedestrian traffic more than that? 

Also, there will be concerts and other events at the stadium, not just baseball. 

As for Renanissance Park, to me it a waste because noone has any reason to be there, it is set off by itself.  There is nothing (restaurant, ice cream shop, gallery,etc. ) to interact with it, no snergy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, Iim not trying to knock the stadium :) It fits in well with the West End plan.

The problem with Renaissance Park is the developer, IMO. The Marriott is next door, and Morgan Square and the active sections of downtown are not far off. They need to devise a plan to connect the two areas. Thats a topic for another thread I suppose.

Someone please remind me of Renaissance park I know I've read about it but I cant recall where or what it is.However I still think the ballpark is a good idea it brings one more activity to a growing downtown.Now we need that theater everyones been talking about.

Renaissance Park is a large development which is supposed to transform downtown Spartanburg into an Arts and Entertainment center. Check out the Spartanburg subforum for more info on it. :)

The Bombers' ballpark will have so much retail surrounding it that it will be hard to even notice the ballpark itself except for the lights above. :rolleyes:

Renaissance Park is a large development which is supposed to transform downtown Spartanburg into an Arts and Entertainment center.  Check out the Spartanburg subforum for more info on it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you described there is the Renaissance Project. That is the overall downtown improvement effort.

Renaissance Park is the large open expanse behind the Marriott that is prime real estate for something good. There is a new Arts Center planned, but that is all. Nobody wants to step up and make something happen with it.

There are a few threads about it in the GSA subforum.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a nice article in this coming Monday's GSA Business about the new Ballpark and the blueprint being followed based on the success with the Bomber's AA Sister City Chattanooga.

Here's the story:

http://www.gsabusiness.com/addedValuesPI/s...Reader$888

Edit: I just have to add....Greenville truly is fortunate to have had the G-Braves leave this market and to have the owners of the Bombers come into our community and finance their own ballpark. I agree - this, if other owners would realize it, can definitely be a recipe for success. It will be a success here just has it has been in Chattanooga.

I would like to see this new stadium bring in big venues like championships... ACC or SEC baseball championships. It would be huge for the city. I'm sure the Bombers wouldn't mind, it's all about the money.

I certainly hope that the stadium will help fill up a lot of those empty, boarded up, stores on main and augusta streets in the westend. I would like to see a tower come to that area, too. It would be a nice addition and a big daytime or possible night time population boost, depending on the tenants.

I would like to see this new stadium bring in big venues like championships... ACC or SEC baseball championships. It would be huge for the city. I'm sure the Bombers wouldn't mind, it's all about the money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to admit, I personally prefer the term "ballpark" over the use of "stadium." I don't know why exactly, but it's become a pet peeve ;)

Seriously though - I agree with you 100% on this. I'd love to see the ballpark play host to tournaments for conferences such as the ACC, SEC, or even (and most likely) the SoCon. There are college venues in the ACC and SEC that would probably be better choices for their tournaments, but why not at least try to go out and lure them in? The SoCon Tournament would be a great one to have here in Greenville, that's for certain. Don't stop there though - why not go after the South Carolina State High School Baseball Championship Games. :thumbsup: And while we're at it, why not bring more SEC/ACC/SoCon Basketball events to the Bi-Lo Center? The sky's the limit! ^_^

Events such as these would definitely benefit the Bombers, the Ballpark, the West End, and Greenville. It would expose people from other parts of the state and the Southeastern U.S. to our beautiful hamlet and would most likely inspire many to return to the area again in the future. :D

The Greenville Bombers are having a "name the team" contest to rename the team. I'm curious...what names can we come up with in U.P.?

From another thread, I realized that the "Greenville Gush" may be appropriate.

Other possibilities come to mind as well:

- Greenville Groove (yea, I know it was used previously for the NBDL team).

- Greenville Green Sox

- Greenville Grasshoppers would have been cool had Greensboro not taken it ;)

- Greenville Statesmen

- Greenville Rapids

- Greenville Falls

What other ideas are out there?

Also - I've noticed that the Topic Title says "Greenville Bombers." Is there any way a Topic Description of "Ballpark and Team News" or something of the like can be added ex post facto? I don't want anyone to think we've got a problem with terrorists in our fair city :D

RestedTraveler, I like your idea of Greenville Green Sox. I like that for several reasons:

-because we are a farm team for the Red Sox

-because Green Sox is a unique slant on the already established "Sox" name

-because "Green" in the team name goes well with Greenville

Let's do it!!

I kind of like the "Greenville Statesmen". I dont know why, I think it might be because it sounds historical and therefore appeals to me. Although it might have little to do with the area, I like it nonetheless. I also like the name: Greenville Rapids. :thumbsup:

Just for fun: :lol:

Greenville Guards

Greenville Ghosts- haha, I'm sure there have been sitings somewhere....?

Greenville Guides -corny, but they are guiding growth in the area...

Greenville Westenders

Upstate United

I kind of like the "Greenville Statesmen". I dont know why, I think it might be because it sounds historical and therefore appeals to me. Although it might have little to do with the area, I like it nonetheless. I also like the name: Greenville Rapids.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's got more to do with the area than many people realize. Think Joel Poinsett :)

Maybe a variation of this...."Greenville Upstatesmen?" :P

I've been out by the ballpark site two weeks in a row. There's nothing much happening since my last photos of the site. I'll keep going out there each weekend to take photos and promise to keep this thread up to date with construction progress. Sorry that there's nothing much to show this week though.

Also - I've noticed that the Topic Title says "Greenville Bombers."  Is there any way a Topic Description of "Ballpark and Team News" or something of the like can be added ex post facto?  I don't want anyone to think we've got a problem with terrorists in our fair city  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Ask me. :) I will differ preference to the thread's creator, of course, if they do not like the change.

I'll go back and add it as a subtitle for this one.

Does anybody know if there are plans to install WiFi in the new ballpark as an ammenity for the fans?

I, personally, think this would be awesome...especially if they scheduled afternoon games during the work week.

I, for one, would be willing to pay a couple of bucks to go take in a ballgame and work from the ballpark while doing so on a beautiful afternoon in Greenville. Heck, it'd probably make me *more* productive. :D Either that, or I'd sit and browse/post U.P.

Yes. Ask me. :) I will differ preference to the thread's creator, of course, if they do not like the change.

I'll go back and add it as a subtitle for this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Spartan!

Moton: Is this alright with you or would you rather see some other subtitle? :)

Archived