Greenville Bombers

Thanks for the pics RT.  Hard to imagine that there will be a ball field there by April.

I went to the Bombers game last night.  Boy you can tell they aren't investing any more than they need to to keep it running. :(  I guess they are looking ahead to next year!! :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think part of it is the location. Maybe it's just a perception for me (especially since I live in T.R.); however, Municipal Stadium just seems so far out in the middle of nowhere. I don't like driving out there to games at all...I'm almost certain that I'm not alone, so I imagine that attendance is probably around 2000-2500 per game (on the optimistic side). That'll change once they move into the new ballpark.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think part of it is the location.  Maybe it's just a perception for me (especially since I live in T.R.); however, Municipal Stadium just seems so far out in the middle of nowhere.  I don't like driving out there to games at all...I'm almost certain that I'm not alone, so I imagine that attendance is probably around 2000-2500 per game (on the optimistic side).  That'll change once they move into the new ballpark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. I was going to be really upset if the new ballpark site was chosen to be on or adjacent to the existing Municipal Stadium site. I just don't think it makes sense to have a stadium out in the middle of nowhere. Same goes for the proposed site off of I-85 in Powdersville. Yeah, land is cheaper there, but does it really encourage growth the way a downtown ballpark does?

I think the downtown ballpark makes sense on several levels. It is in an area that needs revitalization, but it is still close enough to the rest of downtown to encourage growth out that way. We extend our downtown, improve the area where the stadium is, and help businesses that already exist in the area. Perfect.

My percenption of Municipal Stadium is that it is in the middle of everywhere, but out of sight. I know there were many times I would have gone to a game had I seen the park with lights on, but I rarely drive down that stretch of Mauldin Road. It also seemed kind of removed from everything else I wanted to do in downtown and/or Haywood, Woodruff, Laurens, or Pelham Roads. As I said, it is in the middle of everywhere, when that is including the whole Upstate, but not close enough to the thriving evening and night hotspots IMO. <_<

The downtown ballpark should remain strong for many years to come, with all that is happening around the area. Nightly activity is extremely heavy already and only getting stronger every year. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it (the naming contest) had already begun?

I really wouldn't mind the team keeping the name "Greenville Bombers," myself. The reason I say this is that "Bombers" could just as easily identify with Greenville as it would Columbia.

The Donaldson Center, formerly known as John O. Donaldson Air Force Base, was built in 1942 to support the United States' wartime effort during World War II. Originally opened as "Greenville Air Force Base," the base was used to train flight crews for the B-24 Liberator Long-Range Heavy Bombers and B-25 Mitchell Medium-Range Bombers from 1942 to 1945.

However, if the team feels that another name would be better suited, I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

I still hope for us to be the Green Sox, not only because we are a farm team for the Red Sox, but because it is a name that relates to Greenville. Who wouldn't want to own a Green Sox hat, navy blue with a green "G" on the front and the green socks logo on the back? That would be so cool!

I still hope for us to be the Green Sox, not only because we are a farm team for the Red Sox, but because it is a name that relates to Greenville.  Who wouldn't want to own a Green Sox hat, navy blue with a green "G" on the front and the green socks logo on the back?  That would be so cool!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it were Purple with a Green "G" on the front and a couple of Green Sox on the back, that'd be cool. But realistically, the Minor League Baseball Logo would be on the back instead :P

The home uniforms could be white with Green Sox across the front and green trim along the sides, and the away uniforms just plain grey with Greenville across the front, kinda throwback style if ya know what I mean. I saw someone mention purple and green, I don't know about the purple part of it I'm just not a big fan of purple. Blue hats with a green G in the style that the Red Sox have there logo.

That's 3 people I know of maybe more that I don't know maybe the Green Sox idea will really catch fire. I sure hope so. If there gonna model the park after Fenway to some extent, why stop at the stadium, why not take on the name, with our very own derivitive of course. I can just hear it now, Go Green Sox! you wouldn't even have to mention what city they are from everybody would know.

I think purple would go well with the green. The minor league team where I came from had Maroon & Green trim. I thought it looked good.

I like the Idea of the Green Sox. It makes sense from more than one point of view.

Last time I was at the game, I asked about next year's name, and the guy selling programs thought it was going to stay the Bombers. I guess you could take that with a grain of salt though. Not like it came from the GM or anything.

I would suggest e-mailing the bombers:

Rich Mozingo, Bombers President and General Manager

Diana Vossbrinck, Director of Fan Relations

Brenda Yoder, Director of Community Relations & Operations

Or, just send a generic e-mail.

Edit: While we're at it, maybe we should point out en force that the photos section of their web site 1) still refers to "Capital City Stadium" and 2) doesn't contain any ballpark construction update photos.

Archived