RI/PVD Economic Development Issues

Lova

abc6 announced this morning that Spirit Airlines will stop all flights out of tf green starting in april. that can't be good news. there are fewer and fewer choices at green for cheap regional flights. Not everyone needs a nonstop to LA. Some of us just need to get to chicago, or Washington DC on the cheap.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to really like flying Spirit to Ft. Lauderdale as a cheap way to get to Miami. Not only were they inexpensive, but the seats were more comfortable for tall people like me than most other airlines out there. Is Spirit in trouble or are we not giving them enough traffic?

• 2 weeks later...
Governor Carcieri announced today that A. Duie Pyle, Inc., a transportation and logistics supplier that serves the Northeast, will build a 47,000-square-foot distribution facility and a 20,000-square-foot warehouse here.

With this facility, A. Duie Pyle will hire 120 full-time employees over the next three years, according to a press release from the governor's office this afternoon.

The buildings will be located in the town

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know a little about the contract that brought in that group, having been part a bid that obviously didn't win. Yeah, it's stuck in my craw a little bit, but it's also indicative of the way RI sees itself: local people are never as good/smart/capable as outsiders.

Basically, the Providence Foundation rejected a super-solid team of local and international players in favor of these super-solid DC-based guys. They've paid them $100k+ to come up and say how much great talent Providence has.

I couldn't find if this topic has been brought up in the past but didnt think a new thread was needed. ANYWAYS.. I am placing this link here because its a perfect example of a new revenue source that will not only increase revenue, but tourism, and the educational experience it will (hopefully soon) provide is great.

so here it is.. http://www.pbn.com/stories/29150.htm

and just a question if anyone would kindly answer :)

There was talk of this project a while back http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...286-7135429_ITM

and this quote "Robert Ballard wants to build the undersea equivalent of the Houston Space Center at the Bay campus of the University of Rhode Island." caught my attention..

anyone know anything about this still being around as a proposal?? It sounds like it could have a major impact on the local economy. I think I read somewhere that we knows more about the moon than our oceans.

ok done with my post :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived