RI/PVD Economic Development Issues

Lova

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

That's ugly. Then you get another 90 here.

Does anybody know the name of that Pittsburgh area steel mill that, when the parent company wanted to close it, the employees bought it and have managed it successfully ever since? That's a model I think could work in some of these situations.

I was deep inside a company that jettisoned about 500 mfg jobs to China. Originally privately-held, the owner sold out for personal, selfish reasons. The acquiring company took on too many acquisitions, got caught out and itself got acquired by some VC. By the time those decisions were made, they were coming from two organizations away.

The pending sale to a weak partner and other opportunities led me away just before the sale, but I still have contact with my friends there. Many of them think back with regret to the frenzy when the company was on the market and them all discounting my idea to buy the company ourselves. wouldacouldashoulda.

In the case of the Bristol plastics facility, there's some people in France who'd rather see a product get made in Mexico than RI. Why does that necessarily mean that the manufacturing knowledge and the plant itself can't continue making plastic stuff?

I've said for a while that the only secure job in America is the one you give yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Saski Report already studied this area as part of "Prov 2020" Not sure then what they are talking about when they say hiring a consultant to study this 20 acres. Also not sure the need to worry about this part of downtown when there are undeveloped parcels in the capital center area and the sea of surface parking currently downtown.

I thought the Saski Report already studied this area as part of "Prov 2020" Not sure then what they are talking about when they say hiring a consultant to study this 20 acres. Also not sure the need to worry about this part of downtown when there are undeveloped parcels in the capital center area and the sea of surface parking currently downtown.

Yes, but they won't be. Eminent domain is not to be used for cities to take property by force and then give it over to a private developer. Ever since the New London case, municipal entities have been far less willing to involk ED for economic development.

Also, the city would need to come up with the cash to pay for these lots and there's no way that is going to happen.

Don't know if anybody saw this move by The Guv. I knew some people at the RI Economic Policy Council and would count them among the brightest people working for the state. 'course they're all working in other states now.

They just completed their second five-ish year strategy (executive summary attached as ~600k PDF). Like the first, it's really good and really doable. Much of what they set out to accomplish with the first plan has, in fact, succeeded. Hence the big growth in hi-tech jobs, high marks on innovation, etc. The brain drain is directly addressed in both plans, and there's been progress. Yes, we have a small net loss (600/yr), but we have high churn which is very healthy. Next, turn net loss to net gain.

10 Strategies to Grow the Top, Build a New Middle and Move the Bottom Up

1. Expand experiential learning and problem solving opportunities for high school and college students

2. Fully integrate adult education, skill training and frontline innovation as part of a holistic approach to upward mobility.

3. Develop partnerships in whole place development

4. Enact tax reform that aligns state and local development interests

5. Increase Rhode Island's capacity for water supply and demand management

6. Build a seamless transit system from the sidewalk to the Megaregion

7. Make Rhode Island a leader in energy demand management and alternative supply

8. Create a robust Research Alliance among Rhode Island's colleges, hospitals and technology industry to increase basic and applied research and promote entrepreneurship

9. Leverage the Slater Technology Fund to accelerate technology commercialization and technology entrepreneurship

10. Create a best-in-nation business recruitment and retention capability that leverages Rhode Island's unique innovation strengths

08_Economic_Strategy_ExSum.pdf

08_Economic_Strategy_ExSum.pdf

• 1 month later...

Follow-up to Above: WRNI Political Roundtable covers the newly EDC-ized EPC. They don't mention EPC's previous history, and they're critical of the "CEO governor." Gary Sasse is a "reasonable guy," which is about as much support as anybody in the inner circle seems to be getting right now.

Segment is toward the end.

So here comes the downstream push back on big development. It's all about replacing wetlands (rain buckets) with impermeable/non-porous surfaces (gutters). I've been on about this last spring when I heard someone from federal EPA say that the big Euro re-insurer Swiss:Re was all over him for maps of - that's right - recent development that turned - say it with me, kids - wetlands into non-porous surfaces.

Jobs and development are good, but sending every drop of rain downstream's bad, mkay.

Press release: Cranston vs. Johnston - Scheduled 15 Rounds

CCRZD questions the 1 Million square foot development in Johnston and demands an IMPACT STUDY to be done for Cranston.

CRANSTON, RI: Cranston Citizens for Responsible Zoning & Development ("CCRZD") question Johnston's recent approval for development of nearly 1,000,000 square feet of permeable land located in the watershed area draining directly into Cranston. Our group is responsible to all Cranston residents and those that would be adversely affected are those along the Pocasset River starting at Fletcher Avenue.

Representative Peter Palumbo claims, "They have not even talked about Cranston, and we need to demand answers and assurances today." Representative Robert Jacquard has stated the Fletcher area, which has been flooded in the past, has had studies showing that substantial impacts on the whole watershed area is due to over development. "We need to closely monitor future developments, and get some answers now, rather than a year from now."

We understand a complex Permit was given to allow development in a wetland along the Pocasset. CCRZD wants to ensure the goals for development include a dry side for Cranston.

So far, 537 acres of wetlands have been lost in the Watershed, according to the NRCS May 2008 report. Only 1,800 acres of wetlands remain - so to date about 25% of the wetlands in the watershed have been lost (not counting these two projects). Almost 1 million square feet of building development (not counting parking surfaces); Stonehill development is about 600,000 square feet; FM Global 350,000 square feet, and on about 200 acres in the watershed: Stonehill is 115 acres; FM Global is 93 acres.

We need to have a full-scale impact study of storm-water runoff and potential flooding. According to the recent Pocasset Watershed Study (May 2008) it clearly states that Fletcher is already prone to substantial flooding as are a number of other Cranston neighborhoods further downstream.

Archived