RI/PVD Economic Development Issues

Lova

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This won't rate with the "major announcement" or the $1.5b reach around, er, wind farm, but I'm doing my small part to help galvanize and, with luck, gain some official recognition for the economic cluster that I'm a part of -- the indy business/consultant/freelancer world.

SISE is an unconference parallel to BIF-4, the EDC's annual TED-like story fest. SISE Unconference will be held on October 15th at Local 121. There will be two separate sessions, 1-4 and 5-8. There is no cost to attend either or both sessions, but we will pass the hat and ask for a donation ($10 suggested) to defray the costs, which are coming out of my pocket.

This grows out of some disappointing conversations I've had with EDC folks about "the 1099 economy." Their only metric is the W2 form. Anybody who earns on a 1099 is completely off their radar. Until somebody/something readjusts their radar, they act like we don't exist and don't contribute. If they can't see us, they can't include us in their planning.

From the wiki:

The concept behind SISE is to extend the

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I posted some of this in the ALCO thread. Anyway, of the 157 jobs being moved, I'd be willing to bet some of them are held by people who live west of Dayville, so some might choose to move on. I'd say 10-20 of the 157 might be 'open' by the time they move here next May. Add in the 90-100 new jobs over 3 years and we have a big win. This is a company that had $3.3B in sales last year and 17,000 customers from around the country. Since it is in the food/distribution industry, don't discount the amount of venders, suppliers, and sales/customer visits this will bring the area. Hotels, restaurants, and the airport will all benefit from this type of company moving here. This is great news.

Not necessarily. From what I've read, the warehousing division is still staying in Dayville. That entire industrial area still has quite a bit of companies there too, including a Frito Lay plant and the regional distribution for Rite Aid. Losing the corporate hurts, but let's be real: northeast CT is not a great place for good sized corporations having headquarters. It is good for industrial, manufacturing, warehousing... the blue collar stuff.

I also should say that a sizable amount of workers in the Dayville park (United, Frito Lay, Rite Aid, Staples, etc... are from Worcester and Providence. Plenty of locals, but a decent majority of long commutes.

We're #1! In your face, Michigan.

Rhode Island is a lower-wage, lower-education state, compared with its New England peers. It lags behind Massachusetts in the diversity of its economy and the number of higher-wage, knowledge-based jobs. Such factors made the state more vulnerable to a steeper crash, economists said...Instead of trying to entice large manufacturing plants with incentives, they talk now about nurturing tech startups, luring biomedical companies, encouraging entrepreneurs, and developing a skilled workforce..."Rhode Island has been holding onto a lot of marginal companies," he said. "That's not a criticism; it's a reality. There's only so many white-metal casting corporations you can keep."

Time to really start developing our ports! With the Panama Canal being enlarged, every expert out there says the east coast ports will grow more and more and Providence/Quonset needs to get in on the action. Raritan, NJ already has named Quonset as a potential short sea shipping partner (along with others) and port jobs are one of the highest paying blue collar jobs out there and produce tremendous economic activity.

Archived