PROPOSED: Grant's Block

Grant's Block

GrantsBlock-001.jpg

Construction Photos | November 2004 (click to enlarge)

GrantsTHUMB003.jpg GrantsTHUMB005.jpg GrantsTHUMB006.jpg

Location: Westminster, Union, Clemence, and Weybosset Streets | Downcity

Use: Parking garage, retail, and condominium

Under development and scheduled for a Spring 2006 completion is the Grant

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for Grant's Block to come in at around 200 feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REALLY!?  :blink:

That's taller than GTECH and Citizens! Citizens is 180feet, 13 floors. How many floors is Grant's Block going to be? That sounds a lot different than the most recent public proposals for Grant's Block.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea what to think about a 200 foot Grant's Block. On the one hand it's exciting to get some more height Downcity. On the other hand, I was totally happy with what little I had seen on Grant's Block, and liked the way it would more or less fit in seemlessly with the buildings in the area. I'm hoping/assuming that the highest point would be at the Weybosset end with the Westminster end more in keeping with building heights on that street.

I guess all the talk about increased height coming out of the planning office has Buff thinking a bit differently about the block. I wonder if people will freak.

I'm very excited to hear Grant's Block is going higher. That'll add some depth to Providence's skyline... It won't look like everything is just on Westminster/Washington line downtown...

It'll also give Weybosset a nice residential shot in the arm. In all the Westminster excitement, I've been afraid Weybosset would get neglected... This, plus the Saki Pizza building condo conversions, will start to give that street some residential life.

- Garris

Beyond college students that is.

It'll also give Weybosset a nice residential shot in the arm.  In all the Westminster excitement, I've been afraid Weybosset would get neglected...  This, plus the Saki Pizza building condo conversions, will start to give that street some residential life.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In speaking with some folks from Cornish today it sounds like Grants block may be rise in a tier fashion with the residential side on Westminster and parking on the Weybosset side and retail along the ground floor. This could mean that onen side of the building will be considerably higher than the other. Sounded also like they hadn't picked a height yet but they were certain it would rise above the surrounding buildings (at least part of it)

There have been two cranes sitting on this site since the Fall/Winter and there not doing anything. Since tearing down the Weybosset St side the cranes just sit there. Dosen't that cost money? I know Chase is waiting untill the Peerless opens before he turns his attention to Grant's Block.

There have been two cranes sitting on this site since the Fall/Winter and there not doing anything. Since tearing down the Weybosset St side the cranes just sit there. Dosen't that cost money? I know Chase is waiting untill the Peerless opens before he turns his attention to Grant's Block.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope the demolition company has them Locked Up Good. The Projo reports today that yet another peice of heavy constuction equipment has been stolen. This time it's a $128,000 backhoe from a construction site on Allens Avenue. :ph34r:

I hope the demolition company has them Locked Up GoodThe Projo reports today that yet another peice of heavy constuction equipment has been stolen.  This time it's a $128,000 backhoe from a construction site on Allens Avenue.    :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well how do you expect me to break ground on these stalled projects if I don't have heavy machinery? :whistling:

How the hell does someone discreetly steal heavy machinery?  Nobody notices it while its happening??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Try the newly installed boiler we had stolen out of a house under construction (the second in a year!), or the FENCE from the Locust Grove cemetery on Elmwood Ave... I was going to say if its not tied down, its gone, but then I remember the fence...now THAT was bold!

How the hell does someone discreetly steal heavy machinery?  Nobody notices it while its happening??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just have one guy yell, "hey, look at me!" Then while everyone is looking at him, I make off with my booty. :)

• 1 month later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bet you it's quite easy... Just put on a hardhat... carry a clipboard... and so long as nobody is on the site... nobody off the site would ask any questions... because you look "official"...

Same thing with banks... just walk in with a Brinks uniform... smile at the manager... :whistling:

Bet you it's quite easy... Just put on a hardhat... carry a clipboard... and so long as nobody is on the site... nobody off the site would ask any questions... because you look "official"...

Same thing with banks... just walk in with a Brinks uniform... smile at the manager...  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You speaking from experience? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any updates on this?  The site has been lacking activity for a couple of weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that the Peerless is almost done look for Chase to turn his attention toward's the Grant Block, the site of the former Grant's department store.

Archived