PROPOSED: Grant's Block

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A flood since February (Hint, hint!).  Honestly, I was reading for at least a good six months before I finally signed up to post (it was my second most used source on the topic besides Artinruins.com ).  I'm sure a lot of the new members are in the same boat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I was lurking for about 9 months before I joined and started posting. Now you can't shut me up :rofl:

Yeah, I was lurking for about 9 months before I joined and started posting. Now you can't shut me up  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee... and I thought I was lurking for a long time (it was about a month!). I was shy at first since I have NO inside info... just lots of opinions!

I found ArtInRuins through this site, and was very really impressed. That's when I started joining in on the conversation.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like this project won't get off the ground untill next year, according to the link below.  I was hoping to see something happen this fall. So I guess we'll have to get use to seeing that big empty space on Weybosset street a little bit longer.

http://www.westminsterlofts.com/grantsblock.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Darn, late 2007 completion... Is that the new or old render?

- Garris

Well, it looks like this project won't get off the ground untill next year, according to the link below.  I was hoping to see something happen this fall. So I guess we'll have to get use to seeing that big empty space on Weybosset street a little bit longer.

http://www.westminsterlofts.com/grantsblock.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed a new peice of demolition equipment on the site over the weekend. The place has been deviod of any activity for a couple of months now, so maybe they are getting ready to continue now.

I noticed a new peice of demolition equipment on the site over the weekend.  The place has been deviod of any activity for a couple of months now, so maybe they are getting ready to continue now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the company, as AriPVD can tell you, has been more involved with The Peerless project, along with other things.

I walked past the Weybosset side of Grant's Block today, and as much as I find construction sites to be endlessly fascinating, not everyone does. The half demolished building and trash strewn lot portray quite a negative presense on Weybosset (the homeless guy in some sort of trance that I could smell half-way down the block didn't help any). I think Cornish should put a solid wall around the site (as is planned for the Westin). The way the parcel faces J&W it should be possible to sell ad space on it, and of course it would be a good canvas to do more ads for Westminster Lofts and Cornish's tenants on Westminster (Design Within Reach, Tazza, Symposium, Space at Alice...).

Also, as soon as the new renderings are ready to be released, a big ass rendering should go up with "Coming Spring '08 (or whenever)" and a description of what's coming. I think people unlike us who follow development (and Grant's Block hasn't been in the press much so you really have to seek out information on it in order to have it) probably have a pretty negative outlook on that parcel, not realizing that more housing and shops are on the way. Most probably think it is just an aborted building demolition and are wondering how long it will remain that way.

Now, if only someone from Cornish were reading...

• 2 weeks later...

Help me here...

The article states that Chase proposes an 8 floor garage and above that a 14 story condo tower...reaching 250 feet. So that would be a 22 floor building right? The numbers make sense (8X12' floors=96 plus 14X11=154 for a total of 250).

A 22 story building...that's good. I hope I am correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived