PROPOSED: Grant's Block

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

We are not ready to make an annoucement yet, but it is likely that Grants will be a midrise building, something between the original garage proposal and the tower. I will keep you all posted.

So does this mean something closer to G-Tech height or something closer to Biltmore height?

- Garris

Height would be similar to the Federal Reserve building on Dorrance St.

I have no idea how tall that building (The Union Trust Building, Providence's 26th tallest) is in feet, but it's about 12 stories high for those keeping score at home...

- Garris

We are not ready to make an annoucement yet, but it is likely that Grants will be a midrise building, something between the original garage proposal and the tower. I will keep you all posted.

The news out of Promenade killed our new tower!!! :cry: Say it ain't so!

Height would be similar to the Federal Reserve building on Dorrance St.

Was, or is, there any consideration to a design that has a smaller footprint and therefore a taller building?

Frankly, due to the location, a 18-20 floor structure would have been a nice movement of the taller buildings west in Downcity.

• 1 month later...

Good to know we have a long term mud field on Westminster

Why don't we make it a big surface lot? Or how about a Walgreens with parking in front? I don't think anything should have been demolished unless financing was 100% secure.

It was an abandoned, non-historic building. A garage and residential building will be built, it's a matter of months, not years.

It wasn't abandoned. There was a DD, bar, clothing store, and beauty supply store there. Only the latter was relocated downtown. Whether those businesses fit in with the image that downtown is aiming for, it doesn't matter. They were tax-paying entities. Demolition should have waited until construction could commence right away. Period. I think that's unacceptable...the same way that the 110 demolition was unacceptable. Sorry to be a typical RI naysayer, but the crane is still not in the ground... :huh:

relax relax... it'll happen soon enough. I just wish rents could range from like 800 a month for a small 2 bedroom to as high as Cornish sees fit for that area. It'd be nice but I'm pretty sure from the knowledge I've been given by you fantastic people that it doesnt work that way :( unfortunately

I have to agree with Jerry on this one. I wish demolition had to wait til the project was an absolute go.

I have no doubts that the project will happen though, I'm just wondering when. So this municipal involvement, can we be hopeful?

Hate to be combatant, but given the developers track record I think you can assume that this site will not remain vacant for the long term. Developers are generally given 12 months between demolition and the start of a project.

relax relax... it'll happen soon enough.

Hate to be combatant, but given the developers track record I think you can assume that this site will not remain vacant for the long term. Developers are generally given 12 months between demolition and the start of a project.

Wow, I'm surprised on the sudden hyperventilation about this. The demolition has been done there for what, like several months?

Capitol Cove has been awaiting a shovel in the ground for how long?

We've been waiting for a render of what is going on the Intercontinental Hotel site for how long?

What's happening now at the Produce Market?

The G-Tech site sat as "open space" for how many years?

The building that was at the Grant's Block site was a blight to the area, and I'm sure something will move forward soon. From day one all of the articles and info on the project have stated that the traffic flow issues needed to be addressed first, so as far as I'm concerned, no surprises so far...

It would be nice if there were something on the site (banner, signs, etc) indicating something is coming for passers by, though :whistling: .

- Garris

It's far from time to be freaking about Grant's Block. It would have been nice for construction to closely follow demolition, and it would also behoove Cornish to take a bit better care of the site until construction commences, but I'm not about to freak out about it.

As for OneTen, the building has not started going up yet, but work has been progressing more or less uninterupted since demolision began, it's not in the same league as Grant's Block by far.

So can this really be designated IN-PROGRESS?

Until a building actually starts going up, I'm switching this one back to "PROPOSED."

Archived