Downtown Memphis--17 new residential projects

sleepy

I've posted about 2 or 3 of these projects in the past month or so, but this is a complete list of residential projects going on in the South End of downtown Memphis.

There are other residential projects going on elsewhere downtown--the 28 story Vue on Main, the proposed 25 story One Beale, the Court Place project, and others, but imho, the South End is the most interesting and historical part of downtown.

Excerpts from:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/news.../developer.html

"Residential growth in the South End of Downtown continues at remarkable speed. To date, seventeen residential projects, totaling $246 million, are either under construction or in the planning phase.

Combined, these projects will bring nearly 900 new residential units to this area within the next two years."

original.jpg

Renderings of four of the projects:

original.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good deal! Looks like Memphis's downtown population might be about to boom. I only wish Nashville had that kind of news to report...

It's been booming for years--residential, yes--business, no. The Claridge Hotel went to apartments in 1985, the Exchange Building did it in the early 90's, Mud Island and South Bluffs opened up in 1990.

Annual population growth rate for downtown Memphis--10.3% annually from 2000-2004.

Annual population growth rate for Metro Memphis--1.1% annually from 2000-2004.

It's even growing faster than suburban DeSoto County, the 35th fastest growing county in the nation.

The population of downtown is 11,282--that's the real downtown, not the phony figures listed by the Center City Commission which touts the Medical Center as downtown--part of some made up Central Business Improvement District:

"The current population of the CBID is 25,142 and is projected to grow to 31,000 by 2009 and 38,000 by 2014."

Figures from http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/docu..._highlights.pdf

Downtown Memphis is a strange bird.

In the 70's or so, most large businesses left, moved out to East Memphis, and not much was built. Even 1st TN bank which is in the top 40 or so national banks, never built anything new, preferring to stay put in their squat 1963 headquarters.

Since then, AutoZone moved its headquarters downtown, but that's about it. FedEx could've built a gazillion story headquarters . . . . . but they preferred East Memphis and an office park.

Having said that, downtown Memphis always had a cool thing to it about residential--maybe the river, the music heritage, the funk. Even in the 70's I knew people living downtown.

I'm not very familiar with DT Memphis, or much of that city at all for that matter. I remember you saying that DT is not in the center of town (like it seems to be for most cities)...so could you see a "new" downtown developing somewhere in the "true" center of town? That would be interesting.

Downtown Memphis is on the Mississippi River. The city could only grow eastward, so downtown is on the westernmost edge of the city.

By the late 60's and early 70's, skyscrapers were already being built along the Poplar Corridor in East Memphis 10 miles east of downtown--the 30 story Clark Tower and the 18 story WhiteStation Tower. Nowadays, another 10 miles from East Memphis to Germantown is built up with 5-10 story office buildings along Poplar Avenue

That area, the Poplar Corridor from East Memphis to Germantown is the business center of Memphis and has been for 30 years.

Downtown Memphis is on the Mississippi River.  The city could only grow eastward, so downtown is on the westernmost edge of the city.

By the late 60's and early 70's, skyscrapers were already being built along the Poplar Corridor in East Memphis 10 miles east of downtown--the 30 story Clark Tower and the 18 story WhiteStation Tower.  Nowadays, another 10 miles from East Memphis to Germantown is built up with 5-10 story office buildings along Poplar Avenue 

That area, the Poplar Corridor from East Memphis to Germantown is the business center of Memphis and has been for 30 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't know that...thanks! I've only been through Memphis...never stopped there. My dad has something against Memphis...he just hates it so much, he refuses to stop there. I hope to visit some day...I might get a chance, a lot of my college friends are from there.

(P.S.- My dad hates Atlanta too, so I have never stopped there...he does on business a lot, though)

Didn't know that...thanks! I've only been through Memphis...never stopped there. My dad has something against Memphis...he just hates it so much, he refuses to stop there. I hope to visit some day...I might get a chance, a lot of my college friends are from there.

(P.S.- My dad hates Atlanta too, so I have never stopped there...he does on business a lot, though)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense to your dad, and I'm probably stepping out of line here and probably incorrect, but do you think your dad's dislike of Memphis and Atlanta might be racial?

I only mention that because I've heard other Tennesseans say it in very explicit terms.

Extremely impressive. GE5 and Rooftops are very similar to new construction around my home in Brooklyn (Williamsburg). Actually, I'm thinking of getting out of NY (housing is ridiculous $$$) so I'm looking around for a more affordable developing urban area.

Hey Sleepy, by any chance do you know which real estate firm is handling GE5 (or if it's already sold out)? Also, other than the residential construction you mention, what else is going on in the area? Restaurants? Bars? Shops? Thanks.

Extremely impressive.  GE5 and Rooftops are very similar to new construction around my home in Brooklyn (Williamsburg).  Actually, I'm thinking of getting out of NY (housing is ridiculous $$$) so I'm looking around for a more affordable developing urban area.

Hey Sleepy, by any chance do you know which real estate firm is handling GE5 (or if it's already sold out)?  Also, other than the residential construction you mention, what else is going on in the area?  Restaurants?  Bars?  Shops?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a pic of the completed GE5 condos. I'm not sure what affordable means to you, but these start at $415,000:

GE5.jpg

It's location is in a previous vacant lot between these two old high rises which are also condos:

medium.jpg

The sales agent for the GE5 is http://www.garlandcompany.com/res.html

They've also got other South End stuff on their site, including a one bedroom in an ugly building for $115,000.

I think most 2 bedrooms in the area are probably around $200,000.

Here's a shot of the Rooftops. Don't know who the sales agent is:

Rooftops.jpg

City Commons--ReMax is the realtor:

city_commons3.jpg

You can go here for information about housing in downtown Memphis as a whole, though I don't think it's particularly updated:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/live...housing_apt.asp

Also, this site has info on residential projects throughout downtown:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/deve...ojects_type.asp

The SouthEnd area has restaurants, bars, and some retail. Half a mile or so up Main in the center of downtown, there's more restaurants and bars all over the place and Beale Street. There's a couple streetcar lines which go through that area that take you all over downtown.

Here's two South End dives, the Blue Monkey and Raiford's Hollywood Disco:

medium.jpg

31187691.jpg

Here's a pic of South Main Street

original.jpg

No offense to your dad, and I'm probably stepping out of line here and probably incorrect, but do you think your dad's dislike of Memphis and Atlanta might be racial?

I only mention that because I've heard other Tennesseans say it in very explicit terms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably part of it...I don't think that's why he hates ATL though...he just gets pissed off when 9 lanes of traffic come to a complete stop...LOL

With Memphis, he always percieves it as a really dirty city...which is true to say about some parts (Nashville has these parts too), but not the entire place. I also think he doesn't like the politics of the region (that's where the Ford "crime family" as he calls it is from). It's certainly not all racial, or we would have moved to Knoxville by now...he's not a racist, but the fact that Memphis is 60%+ black couldn't help.

That's probably part of it...I don't think that's why he hates ATL though...he just gets pissed off when 9 lanes of traffic come to a complete stop...LOL

With Memphis, he always percieves it as a really dirty city...which is true to say about some parts (Nashville has these parts too), but not the entire place.  I also think he doesn't like the politics of the region (that's where the Ford "crime family" as he calls it is from).  It's certainly not all racial, or we would have moved to Knoxville by now...he's not a racist, but the fact that Memphis is 60%+ black couldn't help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all do respect, your dad is an idiot. Memphis being 60% black shouldn't have any thing to do with whether or not he likes a place. His perception of Memphis being dirty is incorrect. Memphis is one of the most beautiful cities in the nation. Yes, the city is going through a financial crisis right now, just as many cities are. To say that you would not move here because of the Black population is insulting. I would never say that I wouldn't move somewhere because of the White population, although White people have made my people suffer a great deal in America. I'm proud to be Black, and disappointed that some White people still have this terrible outlook on society. I'm also disappointed at the treatment that I have endured while becoming a very successful businessman in Memphis. Also, the Ford family members are great friends of this community and it is very easy to talk down on someone that you don't know anything about, only what you here from the media. The media would never tell you how many poor families benefit from their generosity.

With all do respect, your dad is an idiot.  Memphis being 60% black shouldn't have any thing to do with whether or not he likes a place.  His perception of Memphis being dirty is incorrect.  Memphis is one of the most beautiful cities in the nation.  Yes, the city is going through a financial crisis right now, just as many cities are.  To say that you would not move here because of the Black population is insulting.  I would never say that I wouldn't move somewhere because of the White population, although White people have made my people suffer a great deal in America.  I'm proud to be Black, and disappointed that some White people still have this terrible outlook on society.  I'm also disappointed at the treatment that I have endured while becoming a very successful businessman in Memphis.  Also, the Ford family members are great friends of this community and it is very easy to talk down on someone that you don't know anything about, only what you here from the media.  The media would never tell you how many poor families benefit from their generosity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa whoa whoa...don't get me wrong here, my dad is not some hardcore racist or anything close. Let me clear it up a little bit...he does not hate Memphis just because there are a lot of black people living there (hell, there are a lot that live here)...there are many other reasons that he has a bad view of your town. For one, his idea of beauty involves tree covered hills...which Memphis lacks...also the older high rises (from the 60's-70's) in contrast to many southern cities that have newer more modern downtown buildings. He doesn't like the drivers in general (not that he thinks that ours are saints), and especially the cops (i think he has a few tickets). He really isn't much of a fan of West Tennessee in general...he doesn't like the flatlands very much. <shrugs>

If it was purely racial, he would hate Birmingham and Montgomery (where he has lived). He doesn't.

And about Ford, generosity or not, people won't find it generous that he is taking bribes from companies so that they could get TennCare contracts. What he did was wrong, and he needs to be removed from the Sentate imo.

With all do respect, your dad is an idiot.  Memphis being 60% black shouldn't have any thing to do with whether or not he likes a place.  His perception of Memphis being dirty is incorrect.  Memphis is one of the most beautiful cities in the nation.  Yes, the city is going through a financial crisis right now, just as many cities are.  To say that you would not move here because of the Black population is insulting.  I would never say that I wouldn't move somewhere because of the White population, although White people have made my people suffer a great deal in America.  I'm proud to be Black, and disappointed that some White people still have this terrible outlook on society.  I'm also disappointed at the treatment that I have endured while becoming a very successful businessman in Memphis.  Also, the Ford family members are great friends of this community and it is very easy to talk down on someone that you don't know anything about, only what you here from the media.  The media would never tell you how many poor families benefit from their generosity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets refrain from calling 3rd parties names. Its just not a good way to start off posting. Memphis has an image problem that leads many in this state and region to view it as dirty, crime-ridden, and corrupt. I grew up in rural West Tennessee and the image there is no different. Now those impressions used to be alot more true, but not as much anymore. Riots in the late 60s, urban decline, white flight, followed by high crime in the inner city, etc all perpetuated those views (which is the racial factor), as they did in many cities. Its also a rivercity, which often come off rougher than other cities, ie see New Orleans and St. Louis. Over the last 10-15 years urban renewal, economic investments, and better policing have turned the city around alot. Memphis is just now coming into a good upswing after years of decline, so its natural for alot of people white and black to still have negative opinions of the city due to how it used to be.

Memphis is one of my favorite cities, I like it better than Nashville in many regards, but I realize it has a negative image, that is not soley based on race though. I know LOTS of blacks from Memphis who hold similar views of their home city as nashvol's dad, so its really not soley white racial thing IMO.

Its also a rivercity, which often come off rougher than other cities, ie see New Orleans and St. Louis. Over the last 10-15 years urban renewal, economic investments, and better policing have turned the city around alot. Memphis is just now coming into a good upswing after years of decline, so its natural for alot of people white and black to still have negative opinions of the city due to how it used to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's a faulty perception that Memphis was in decline for years. Those supposedly bad years of the 70's and 80's saw the founding of FedEx, AutoZone, and the relocation of International Paper.

The only thing in decline then was downtown, as in most cities.

And if anything, white-flight wasn't an issue until fairly recently--particularly in the past 5 years, not in the 70's and 80's when I don't think it had any incorporated suburbs of even 10,000 population. Now, it's got 5 of at least 35,000 or more, with Fayette the fastest growing county in the state, and DeSoto's one of the fastest in the nation. I think Shelby's about topped out in population.

So, aside from downtown--and Midtown and East Memphis--which are still relatively prosperous and growing, most of the rest of the city is probably on more of a decline in some sense than ever. I think the middle-class will continue to flee and the area will be stuck with "fortress" suburbs, and the city itself will be increasingly divided among wealthy and poor.

But that's no much different I guess than any other city.

Interesting comment about a "river city". I had a student who went to Dubuque IA last year and I asked him what it was like. His comment was "well, you know, it's a river town." I didn't know what that meant, so he explained that it meant something along the lines of old and disheveled.

^I would have to argue that downtown and the areas around it are not in a decline, unless you only define the location of corporate or business offices as prospering. Residential and commerical development seems to be making downtown very viable again as far as citizens of the city and the region wanting to actually go into downtown area. I think white flight was an issue, why else did businesses move out to East Memphis, I would argue it wasn't simply for cheaper land. People wanted to live, shop, and work away from those questionable areas where crime, social tension, etc were issues. They may not have been moving from Memphis proper in the 70s, but i think it could be argued by the mid-80s they were.

I was to young to know first hand the reality or to have first hand opinions, I just know what I have been told from people form Memphis, locals at home, family, etc. from quizing them about such things. :) I ask lots of questions of folks who I think know stuff I would like to know. So my opinion is formed around what I have learned mainly from second hand sources, so I'm not arguing my point is wholey the reality that transpired from 1968 to the present, its just what empression I have formed from the information presented to me. You on the other hand have first hand knowledge, which gives you a better insight then I would have.

As for the "rivercity" or "rivertown". I grew up hearing that term for St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Cairo-IL, Hickman-KY, etc. It mainly meant towns that existed due the the river, but whose best days were behind them and in many cases were in serious decline, facing abnormally high crime rates, etc.

^I would have to argue that downtown and the areas around it are not in a decline, unless you only define the location of corporate or business offices as prospering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was mentioning the decline of downtown in the 70s and 80s. Anybody can tell that downtown Memphis is thriving these days.

He was mentioning the decline of downtown in the 70s and 80s. Anybody can tell that downtown Memphis is thriving these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I misread the sentence with Midtown and East Memphis, I didn't read downtown in that sentence. I thought downtown was being lumped into the rest of the city by MY oversight in reading.

^I would have to argue that downtown and the areas around it are not in a decline, unless you only define the location of corporate or business offices as prospering. Residential and commerical development seems to be making downtown very viable again as far as citizens of the city and the region wanting to actually go into downtown area. I think white flight was an issue, why else did businesses move out to East Memphis, I would argue it wasn't simply for cheaper land. People wanted to live, shop, and work away from those questionable areas where crime, social tension, etc were issues. They may not have been moving from Memphis proper in the 70s, but i think it could be argued by the mid-80s they were.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't characterize people moving to East Memphis in the 50's and 60's as white flight. Besides, due to legal housing segregation, it's not as if blacks were moving into white neighborhoods in innercity Memphis anyway back then. Much of East Memphis had already been annexed to the city by the late '40's--way before there was the concept of white flight. I think the movement out there had as much to do with the expansion of post-WW2 suburbia with the GI housing bill, etc. And since downtown is on the extreme edge of the city, businesses and retail followed, although downtown is still the largest employment center in the area.

That sort of thing occured in cities with relatively small black populations.

But up until 1990 or so, I never sensed the absolute refusal of many area residents to live anywhere in the city. And that's when I think white flight really got started, and sprawl as well since Memphis really never suffered much from that before then--East Memphis certainly isn't sprawl. Much of that flight is increasingly black flight: Shelby County schools are now 25% black.

In 1980, Memphis had 645,000 out of a metro pop. of 910,000. It now has 650,000 out of a metro pop. of 1,250,000.

But like I said earlier in this thread, the downtown pop. is growing at 10% annually, faster even than DeSoto County.

Archived