North Greenville Development News

RestedTraveler

Although Northern Greenville County isn't being developed at the same pace as other parts of the County, there are some ripples in the water and things are beginning to take place.

Northern Greenville County has a fairly sizeable population base which will soon be served by retail and other developments.

Here's the topic for posting news, information, questions, rumors, and images pertaining to such development in Northern Greenville County.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To kick things off, there will be an article in the Monday, 16-MAY-2005 edition of GSA Business about new development in Travelers Rest, spurred by the construction of a Wal-Mart Supercenter which has begun between Little Texas Road and State Park Road on U.S. Highway 25.

Here's a link to the GSA Business article:

http://www.gsabusiness.com/addedValuesPI/s...Reader$868

Land all around the Tigerville area is either up for sale or being developed. This is one of the next hot spots in the county, along with TR. I can't say that I'm overly enthused about this new development though, because it is disturbing some of the most beautiful countryside in SC. That being said, it is inevitable and therefore roads should be prepared ahead of time to accomodate that much more traffic as it arrives. I still feel strongly about the need for rail transportation as an alternative to heavy congestion on the highways and backroads.

Plenty of homes being planned in the Northern Part of the County.  Don't forget the Blue Ridge Plantation, 1,100 homes at Lake Robinson.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Brad! I hadn't heard about this. Is this being developed by a single developer or is it a grouping of various developers?

Northwest Greenville (Berea, Cherrydale, Marietta, Traveler's Rest, etc.) will continue to grow.

Shopping is always good. Even though Cherrydale Point has brought in some stores, more businesses would be a welcome boost. Some stores I would like to see are:

*an office supply store (Office Depot, Office Max, or Staples)

*a books & music store (Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, or Borders)

*an electronics store (Best Buy or Circuit City)

*a sporting goods store (Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority)

Even if it may be many years in the future, I think a mall towards Traveler's Rest would be a great idea. All you need is two to three anchor department stores, 75 to 80 specialty stores, one or two restaurants, and a multilevel hotel with a convention center. US 25 and Poinsett Hwy. would be the logical choices to have a mall on.

I'm with you 100% BoDragon up to the point where you suggest a Mall.  I'm not sure we're ready for a full fledged mall in these parts just yet :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is never too early to begin thinking of another mall. It will eventually come, but I agree with you it is probably too soon.

Have there been any rumors Target was considering building across from Wal-Mart? I know they have also been scouting out Easley for a potential store.

Is there any chance the US 25/US 276 interchange will be improved sometime in the future? There is no direct roads for: US 276 westbound to US 25 southbound, US 25 northbound to US 276 eastbound (Poinsett Hwy), US 25 southbound to US 276 westbound (Geer Hwy.), and US 276 eastbound to US 25 northbound.

My guess is that the construction of a Northern Connector will include the solvency of these problems. There are definite plans for such a new road, but federal, state, and private funding will continue to be a major factor in its eventual materialization.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the Sunday Greenville News regarding the proposed retail development at the old Emb-Tex plant on Highway 25 in Travelers Rest:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/05/2...05052264886.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to that article, the site could have up to 100,000 square feet retail space and four outparcels. The outparcels would be ideal for a fast food restaurant, a wait staff restaurant, a bank, and a movie store. Unfortunately, we may see some across the street with the new Wal-Mart Supercenter. Thinking about the retail space, I doubt Target's stores are smaller than 100,000 square feet unless it was the only thing built. We will not realistically know the exact plans until it has been finalized.

If you are looking for a variety of stores at the old Emb-Tex, an office supply store, clothing/home store, and possibly a supermarket come to mind. I could see an office supply store and a clothing/home store coming. As for another supermarket, that is questionable. Wal-Mart will create competition with Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie (which may likely close soon). Ingle's previously had a store on State Park Road a few years ago, and I do not know if they would like to build a new store on their formet site. Publix could arrive at any time. Their (Furman) University Center store has done quite well within the past decade. As there is no drug store at that shopping center. Publix should consider an in-store pharmacy.

Correct. Most Target stores are 180,000+ square feet. This number of 100,000 suare feet surprised me as well; however, I suspect they're only considering the Emb-Tex plant property itself. I had understood previously that this development not only included the Emb-Text property but also the old Ingles/Eckard shopping center and other property adjacent to it. It seems that these plans have been scaled back a bit.

I don't know what other grocer other than Publix would locate here, since T.R. already has a Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo, and Ingles (HWY 276 near Marietta) nearby. That could fit.

[The frontage road alongside US 25 where Emb-Tex was located separates that property from another property consisting of the former Ingle's and Eckerd. It is a state secondary road that does not see much traffic. To make this center larger than 100,000 square feet, the state should will maintainance of the road to the city. The developer could also buy the former Ingle's shopping center and really make things work. Perhaps this is what is in the way of things.

Does Ingle's still have a lease on its former store, and do they own that shopping center?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My pleasure! There isn't a lot in the way of development going on here in T.R.; however, I try to stay up-to-date. It's a bummer that this is a Wal-Mart though. And even moreso a bummer is the fact that I'll very likely shop there. It's just inevitable. :blink:

At least it's a brick building and will have green metal awnings and trim and monument signage, just as the City of Travelers Rest requested. That's a plus, I guess. :whistling:

Are any of the T.R. developments including sit down restaurants?  Ruby Tuesday? O'Charley's?  Outback? etc, etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish. I'd love to see something other than Burger King, McDonald's, etc. up here. There's already a Ruby Tuesday down at Cherrydale, so I doubt they'd open another one in T.R.. There are some full-service restaurants and other varied counter-service restaurants that would fit in here nicely though. I would like to (and could very easily) see the following restaurants in T.R.:

- Applebee's

- Chili's

- Sticky Fingers or O'Charley's

- Long Horn Steakhouse

- Panera

- Moe's Southwestern Grill

- Firehouse Subs

- Jersey Mike's

- Sonic

- Chick-fil-A

- Port City Java (no offense to Leopard Forest, of course) or Starbuck's

So far, there are just Outparcels; however, I'm sure that at least a couple of full-service places will get their wits about them and realize that this is an excellent location up here in T.R..

I'd like to see another Texas Roadhouse.  I've thought one would be great in Powdersville, but the name would also be neat in Travelers Rest.  T.R. in T.R.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's uncanny.

I almost added that to the list, but then I remembered there's already a Roadhouse over on Wade Hampton :D

Yep, time to think about restaurants.

Applebee's (White Horse Road) and Ruby Tuesday (Cherrydale Pointe) are about six miles away from Traveler's Rest. Another location for them would not hurt. I would like to see a Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, or O'Charley's instead.

Ryan's/Fire Mountain and Golden Corral would be great. Ryan's/Fire Mountain usually build eateries near Wal-Mart Supercenters.

Cracker Barrel would be a perfect addition. They have shifted from Interstate locations to major arteries (i.e. SC 72 in Greenwood).

Archived