North Greenville Development News

RestedTraveler

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many of you know, I live up here in the Blue Ridge area of Greer, an area that I affectionately and self deprecatingly refer to as Greertucky. It appears that a dream of mine is becoming a reality; the widening of Hwy 14. About 2 weeks ago workers started cutting down trees and put up markers on the side of each lane. I spoke with a neighbor and he said that yes 14, north of Wade Hampton was going to become 2 lanes each way. It's my opinion that with all of the recent growth in this area 14, 290 and 101 should all be twinned from Hwy 11 to Wade hampton; looks like 14 is heading there.

• 2 weeks later...

Travelers Rest made the front page of this week's Greenville Journal. The feature article explains in some detail what the City of Travelers Rest has planned for Main Street (US HWY 276) going through town as well as some other projects that tie into the city's revitalization efforts and the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Some highlights (some of which were touched on previously in this tread):

• Work should begin around the first of May on reducing Main Street from 4 down to 2 lanes with on-street parking, landscaping improvements, streetscaping improvements, and a center turn lane between Roe Road and McElhaney Road...this section of HWY 276, approximately 3 city blocks (less than a mile), will essentially become once again the heart of Downtown Travelers Rest.

• Old Buncombe Road will be reduced to 1 lane between Roe Road and South Main Street. One lane will be turned into parking to replace parking that will be lost to the Swamp Rabbit Trail along South Main.

• A small park with a water feature, climbing rocks, and gazebo will be built where Old Buncombe Road intersects with South Main Street.

• A small park will be constructed along the Swamp Rabbit Trail at the intersection of McElhaney Road and Main Steet, near Surift.

• The old Travelers Rest High School (practically adjacent to the Swamp Rabbit Trail) has been purchased by the City of Travelers Rest. A new Municipal and Park Complex will be constructed on the site, including a new City Hall, Fire Station, Police Station, Amphitheater, and ball fields.

• The Greenville County Recreation District has purchased several acres of land adjacent to the old Travelers Rest High School and will construct park facilities and ball fields there as well, seamlessly tying into the T.R. Municipal Complex.

The focus is going to be returning Travelers Rest to a family-friendly city and a pedestrian-friendly destination in North Greenville County rather than just a place that people drive through on their way North or South.

For a refresher, see the master plan renderings in my previous post HERE. The Municipal Complex / Town Square from the plan renderings appear to be getting relocated to the old T.R.H.S. property, but aside from that, things appear to be on-course for the rest of the plan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd love to see what the City of TR and the Greenville County Recreation District have planned for these two adjoining properties. The wife and kids and I went down to Heritage Park in Simpsonville yesterday and I have to say that if the City of TR and GCRD don't work together to create something as nice as Heritage Park in Simpsonville, it'd be a shame and a waste of a great opportunity. The facilities and ball fields down at Heritage Park are top notch...no wonder they turned out the girls Little League Softball champions last year!! The kids (and adults) down there certainly have a great place to be (and stay) active.

Rumor has it that a Pizza Hut should be coming to one of the out parcels in front of Wal-Mart in Travelers Rest. So, when all is said and done, T.R. will have an Arby's (already open), a Pizza Hut, and a Sonic on the out parcels at Wal-Mart. I'd much rather see Chick-fil-A or Bruster's instead of Sonic and Pizza Hut, myself... :rolleyes:

Found another set of renderings of the Travelers Rest Main Street Master Plan streetscape improvements on the Trillium Arts Centre web site:

http://www.trilliumartscentre.org/files/st...master_plan.pdf

Mostly the same, with the exception of the first and last pages...those are new to me. The last page gives some good detail regarding what's going to be done at the intersection of Center and Main (where Sunrift is located).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived