North Greenville Development News

RestedTraveler

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, time to think about restaurants.

Applebee's (White Horse Road) and Ruby Tuesday (Cherrydale Pointe) are about six miles away from Traveler's Rest.  Another location for them would not hurt.  I would like to see a Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, or O'Charley's instead.

Ryan's/Fire Mountain and Golden Corral would be great.  Ryan's/Fire Mountain usually build eateries near Wal-Mart Supercenters.

Cracker Barrel would be a perfect addition.  They have shifted from Interstate locations to major arteries (i.e. SC 72 in Greenwood).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting. I didn't realize they had finally begun building along highways away from Interstates. I remember thinking they should several years ago. Nice to hear that. :)

Cracker Barrel would be a perfect addition.  They have shifted from Interstate locations to major arteries (i.e. SC 72 in Greenwood).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Cracker Barrel has indeed begun the shift from Interstates to other major arteries, then T.R. would be an absolute IDEAL location for a Cracker Barrel, this is true. :D The only reason I had left them off of my list is that I thought they focused on Interstate Highway locations.

There was a Fire Mountain in Spartanburg last I was over by the new Wal-Mart, I think.  Is this the same one being planned on Woodruff?  I can't recall.  It has a similar name if not.  For some reason, though, I had thought it would be the first regional location. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm currently unaware of a Fire Mountain coming to Woodruff Road.

I would like to see a steak & buffet combo open up in the North Pleasantburg/Wade Hampton area. There was once one by Ingle's/Sav Mor years ago, but bad things led to its demise.

Has anyone heard if Golden Corral is coming to Greenville?

That's interesting.  I didn't realize they had finally begun building along highways away from Interstates.  I remember thinking they should several years ago.  Nice to hear that. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Cracker Barrel has indeed begun the shift from Interstates to other major arteries, then T.R. would be an absolute IDEAL location for a Cracker Barrel, this is true.  :D  The only reason I had left them off of my list is that I thought they focused on Interstate Highway locations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first, Crackel Barrel wanted to build only alongside Interstates to serve as a "rest stop." I guess they figured out locating off the interstate and into communities is a great way to do more business.

Major locations not on an Interstate that have a Cracker Barrel within a 250-mile radius of Greenville are Greenwood, Pigeon Forge, TN, and Athens, GA.

I am sure the Greenville area can handle another Cracker Barrel. Powdersville is getting one, and Traveler's Rest and Greer can both support one.

There was a Fire Mountain in Spartanburg last I was over by the new Wal-Mart, I think.  Is this the same one being planned on Woodruff?  I can't recall.  It has a similar name if not.  For some reason, though, I had thought it would be the first regional location. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hadn't heard of one on Woodruff road. There are two Fire Mountains in Spartanburg Eastside/Westside. There is also a Golden Corral. One in TR would be great.

At first, Crackel Barrel wanted to build only alongside Interstates to serve as a "rest stop."  I guess they figured out locating off the interstate and into communities is a great way to do more business. 

Major locations not on an Interstate that have a Cracker Barrel within a 250-mile radius of Greenville are Greenwood, Pigeon Forge, TN, and Athens, GA.

I am sure the Greenville area can handle another Cracker Barrel.  Powdersville is getting one, and Traveler's Rest and Greer can both support one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As much traffic as there is on U.S. Highway 25 between Hendersonville and Travelers Rest, I'd think this would be an ideal location.

Duffs, on Laurens Road was also a buffet favorite.  Another I loved back in its hayday was The Hungry Fisherman.  Too bad it is no longer standing.  It will remain a Greenville "icon" in my mind. ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duff's I do not remember. It was probably back before my lifetime. I'm glad the original Ryan's is still open on Laurens Road. It is the only one in Greenville I eat at.

I went to The Hungry Fisherman only once about a decade ago. The food was good, but it bust for some reason. Mayflower went in a few years later and did not last as long. With the structure now demolished, will Fairfield Inn turn that into additional parking?

I think the name included, "Rocky Mountain Grill," or something similar.  I don't remember.

I used to eat at the old Western Family Steakhouse before its downfall to the resurgent Ryan's.  Duffs, on Laurens Road was also a buffet favorite.  Another I loved back in its hayday was The Hungry Fisherman.  Too bad it is no longer standing.  It will remain a Greenville "icon" in my mind. ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I now if you remember Duff's. You have to remember PO FOLKS on Pleasntburg Dr. But yeah I can remember Duff's. UMMMMM DUFF'S!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of "Items of Interest" from the October 2005 Travelers Rest "Talk of the Town," a Report Provided by the City of Travelers Rest:

Redevelopment of Emb-Tex Property Brings Exciting Changes to Travelers Rest

Everyone is buzzing about the sign posted in front of the vacant Emb-Tex plant on Highway 25. The Travelers Rest Crossing, as presented by its developer, Magnolia Property Group, promises to bring retail and restaurants to the site. Martin Fridy of Magnolia Property Group is preparing to demolish the existing structure by the end of the year. He expects to build half of the planned development, Phase I, which will include a 10,000 square foot retail development and two restaurants. Phase II site plans include more retail space, approximately 60,000 square feet total, and two additional restaurants, for a total of four.

TRCrossing.jpg

Hughes Commercial Properties to Build Shops on State Park Road

Hughes Commercial Properties of Greenville has purchased the property adjacent to Burger King on State Park Road for development of a 17,000 square foot multi-tenant shopping center. While there are no specific details on teh potential tenants, the approved plans indicate approximately 11,000 feet of retail space, with the remainder occupied by restaurants. The completion date for this developemt is expected to be June, 2006.

Hughes_001.jpg

Both of these developments are near the new Travelers Rest Wal-Mart, which should be opening by the end of year (if not the end of November, just in time for the Holiday Sales Rush). The Emb-Tex Property is directly across Highway 25 from Wal-Mart. The Hughes development is adjacent to Wal-Mart (which sits between State Park Road and Little Texas Road).

The New Travelers Rest High School Almost Complete

Students, Teachers, and Administrators of Travelers Rest High School will be moving into the brand new school at the end of the Holiday Break in January. The school's new Web Site is http://www.trhsdevildogs.com/. Some photos taken during a recent tour of the new school by faculty and staff are located here.

Travelers Rest Adopts Design Standards for New Commercial Development

The City of Travelers Rest Zoning Ordinance has been amended to establish stringent standards for the design and layout of new commercial developments. The Commercial Design Ordinance, adopted in May, will improve the appearance and accessibility of new commercial buildings by creating design standards for features such as exterior design, entrances, pedestrian paths, landscaping, and visual screening.

The section of the ordinance addressing aesthetic character specifies that commercial buildings include significant architectural detailing, which can greatly improve the way the building looks. The use of quality materials such as brick and native stone can also achieve this. Smooth-faced concrete block, tilt-up concrete panels, and pre-fabricated steel panels are restricted under the new design guidelines.

Also, the relationship of the commercial building to the surrounding areas will be improved by this ordinance. Under the new ordinance, commercial buildings will feature more access points and more windows. Only a limited amount of parking coverage can exist between an exterior wall of a building and a public or private right-of-way. To protect residential areas from potentially intrusive commercial development, new screening and buffering requirements have been established. When the commercial property is adjacent to single-family residential uses, an earthen berm will be installed containing a double row of evergreen and deciduous trees. Outdoor storage, trash collection, loading areas, and utility areas will also be required to include additional screening.

The Commercial Design Ordinance also includes standards for pedestrian access. The ordinance requires sidewalks to be provided along all sides of the lot that abut most public or private rights-of-way, as well as provisions for better internal pedestrian movement. There are also guidelines to improve vehicular movement, which stipulate that new commercial developments are required to connect to adjacent undeveloped parcels, and access points onto existing roads will be limited.

The Commercial Design Ordinance has received positive reviews from various sectors of the community. The ordinance provides benefits to residents, business owners, and developers.

Current residents will see commercial development that is more visually pleasing and will have fewer negative impacts in the community. In addition, requiring well-designed commercial developments helps reduce issues associated with commercial vacancies, which can act as a magnet for vandalism and crime.

Business owners benefit by knowing that all commercial developments will be treated fairly and equitably. The ordinance gives clear guidelines that will indicate what is necessary to meet City Requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

The view from that location is indeed a nice one.

Exterior work is almost finished. The sign is on the front of the building and burning bright white on a dark green background. I'll have to drive over and snap an updated photo soon.

It should be just a matter of time before the doors open.

I still wish it was a SuperTarget though, instead of Wal-Mart. :wacko:

Archived