Durant Hotel

Allan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitly an important building that can be refurbished because I've seen worse off buildings refurbished than the Durant. I think it's imparative that something is done with it soon. It's so close to the campus, it would be an excellent building for student housing. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Definitly an important building that can be refurbished because I've seen worse off buildings refurbished than the Durant. I think it's imparative that something is done with it soon. It's so close to the campus, it would be an excellent building for student housing. :thumbsup:

THe Durant is NEVER going to be remodled. Its totally trashed inside. I Saw a tree growing on the 3rd floor, and the back side (facing north) is completely demolished, falling apart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50198110@N00/...in/photostream/

I've seen buildings in much worse shape get renovated. I'm not going to get my hopes up too high though, since every renovation plan in years past has proven to be unfeasible...the cost of renovation tends to eclipse the amount of money the building will bring in in almost every scenario.

THe Durant is NEVER going to be remodled. Its totally trashed inside. I Saw a tree growing on the 3rd floor, and the back side (facing north) is completely demolished, falling apart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50198110@N00/...in/photostream/

Man they gotta completly gut the building anyway so why does it matter if it is trashed yeti? Thre have been buildings in far worse shape remodeled. Perhaps you have never been to the Detroit Opera House, or have seen those Row Houses on John R in Detroit, or possibly you have heard the Book Cadillac iand Fort Shelby are getting renovated.

Yes these buildings are expensive to fix up but there are many grants and tax subsidies out there that make them feasible. It will get fixed up, I really believe it.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Flint until I moved to CA in the late 70's. I have many fond memories of the Durant Hotel. My mother used to work there as a telephone operator (on the old cord board behind the front desk) in the late 40's and 50's.

I remember going to many events there, particularly meeting Bob Hope there when he was performing at the IMA back in 1970. I was even working there for a short time myself at the front desk and was on duty there the day Detroit won the world series back in 1968.

If I remember correctly, the hotel was closed for a while in the early 60's and then opened up again later in the 60's under the direction of hotel manager Cass Opyt. He was a real "networking" person back then and had really brought the hotel back to life for awhile. He then left and eventually left and became manager out at the old Sheraton on Pierson Rd (where I worked until I moved to CA in 1979). I wonder whatever became of him?

In any case, I have a question for those of you who have posted who have actually visited inside the hotel:

In your excursions, do any of you remember in the room directly behind the front desk (through the doorway) if the old cord switchboard was still there or not. I've always wondered if the telephone company came and removed it or if it too is still sitting there abandoned. It was a "2 position" board where two operators would sit. You really couldn't miss it is. If you walked through the doorway going into the back room, it was situated directly to your left within just a few steps or the doorway if I remember correctly.

If any of you could please reply and let me know if you remember seeing it or not, I would really appreciate it. If it is still there (by any miracle), I'd love to try and get it as a remembrance of my mother and all of the years she spent there. (She connected the phone calls to many a celebrity and dignitary).

Also, what is the latest scoop? Any plans on the remodeling or whatever? I'd love to hear from anyone about their old recollections of the Durant.

I also have fond memories of the old Capital Theatre as well. I remember hearing things about remodeling that too. Any news?

Thanks for your time.

KK

That's what I thought, but when you look at the close-up picture of the door, it almost looks like a piece of siding has fallen off to reveal the brick underneath.

Thats where the awning used to be. I imagine they never put limestone there to save on expenses.

Here's the online version of the story.

I'm glad they're not draggin their feet with this. I'm glad to see that they're acquiring some of the surrounding land, too. It would be nice to see a handful of shops open up across the street from the Durant like with what happened on the next block up with Big Al's, Soggy Bottom, etc. moving in.

• 1 month later...

It's really quieted down the last few weeks, but it's summer so I guess that's expected. ;)

I wasn't able to read the full article, but there was an article in the Journal last week about this past Monday being the deadline for companies to turn in qualifications to the Land Bank for redevelopment of the city. I'm really hoping that this is for renovation and not demolition.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just found an article from Dec. 26 I thought you guys would be interested. It is about a study done showing that the hotel is fine to reuse again.

I wasn't aware that the first and second floors are going to be used for retail and office and three through eight will be apartments. I hope they get started on it soon!

http://www.mlive.com/business/fljournal/in....xml&coll=5

Archived