~Downtown Dreaming~

goodbye

We needed a place to "spill the beans" on ideas or visions we would like to see happen in our cities and especially our downtowns. ANYTHING you have thought about, or wish would come to the area can be spoken of here, so don't hesitate to reply often. I've read a few great ideas in other threads and would love to see how creative we can be. Whether simple or complex, it's ALL welcome here! :thumbsup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We needed a place to "spill the beans" on ideas or visions we would like to see happen in our cities and especially our downtowns.  ANYTHING you have thought about, or wish would come to the area can be spoken of here, so don't hesitate to reply often.  I've read a few great ideas in other threads and would love to see how creative we can be.  Whether simple or complex, it's ALL welcome here! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Spartanburg...

1. A new city hall

2. Renovated Montgomery Building and Carolina Theater

3. Another "theme" restaurant on the square

4. More downtown housing

5. Finish Renaissance Park

For Anderson...

1. More development oriented toward downtown instead of Clemson Blvd.

2. A decent sized white collar employer

For Greenville...

1. Something built on the old auditorium site. I think a 36 story skyscraper is a bit of a stretch for this location. Just a 4-5 office building should be the goal.

2. Something in place of Greenville Mall.

---Anderson---

I was in Anderson again today. They have a kickin little Main St. The variety of architecture alone is worth the trip. It was very attractive, and I wish I could have explored a little more. They have a very nice City Hall, Court Houses, and Library. What they lack is a large employer. They also need to concentrat on expanding it beyond that one strip along Main St. They have a great start though.

---Spartanburg---

I agree that Spartanburg needs a new City Hall in a bad way. It needs to front the street and be pedestrian oriented and be more or a centerpiece than the crap that is there now.

I would love to see more downtown housing. Maybe a new apartment tower of some sort. I would very much enjoy living there. I think one of our forumers lives downtown?

I would also like to see a large scale project like RiverPlace in Spartanburg. Perhaps in the Renaissance Park? That is a great place to set up something fantastic.

And in general, whats up with Spartanburg's lack of restaurants? Anderson has an Olive Garden, Chili's, Fazoli's, I could name a few more if I thought about it. I know these are chains and add nothing to a city, but its the principle of the thing.

---Anderson---

I was in Anderson again today. They have a kickin little Main St. The variety of architecture alone is worth the trip. It was very attractive, and I wish I could have explored a little more. They have a very nice City Hall, Court Houses, and Library. What they lack is a large employer. They also need to concentrat on expanding it beyond that one strip along Main St. They have a great start though.

---Spartanburg---

I agree that Spartanburg needs a new City Hall in a bad way. It needs to front the street and be pedestrian oriented and be more or a centerpiece than the crap that is there now.

I would love to see more downtown housing. Maybe a new apartment tower of some sort. I would very much enjoy living there. I think one of our forumers lives downtown?

I would also like to see a large scale project like RiverPlace in Spartanburg. Perhaps in the Renaissance Park? That is a great place to set up something fantastic.

And in general, whats up with Spartanburg's lack of restaurants? Anderson has an Olive Garden, Chili's, Fazoli's, I could name a few more if I thought about it. I know these are chains and add nothing to a city, but its the principle of the thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want someone to tell my why Spartanburg doesn't have a Chili's or an Olive Garden? These are not exactly "upscale" restaurants. Plenty of smaller cities have them. Spartanburg has two Ruby Tuesdays, Several Applebee's, and a Wild Wing. So why not these?

I think, however, that Shanbhag might be working on them for his Westgate development along with City Range that is now under construction. Anyone know?

I agree with the restaurants...i think in downtown we need more...i don't know how to say it but kind of uppity, trendy type restaurants--not just expensive but with a trendy catch. You know what I mean? Like Cazbah in Gville. I'm more of a NuWay kinda gal ;) but people like those places. I have a friend that loves to go to Cazbah and that's great--we've been with them. We need to offer that in Spartanburg because there is a market for it... those restaurants will go hand in hand with that Bijou Market when it opens---anyone have any news on that by chance?

I went to Sonny's Brick Oven Pizza for the first time last night--a group of my Hampton Heights neighbors all walked down for dinner. Man, that place is GREAT. We sat out on the patio and enjoyed a cold beer with yummy pizza on a beautiful night. I highly recommend it!! :thumbsup: t

Restaurants are exactly what Spartanburg needs. I keep hearing that Carrabbas, Olive Garden, Marble Slab, and Hooters are all interested in coming to the Westside, but there are no committments yet that I know of. I will keep my fingers crossed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can tell you for certain that we are getting two Marble Slabs, one near the new theater near Westgate and another in the Converse Plaza near Converse Cinema's and next to Gerhart's.

I have heard that Olive Garden and Carrabbas may be looking as well. I would think that those plus many more would be looking considering the growth and general size of the area. I have never been to one if these restaurants that wasn't slam full most nights.

We need to offer that in Spartanburg because there is a market for it... those restaurants will go hand in hand with that Bijou Market when it opens---anyone have any news on that by chance?

I went to Sonny's Brick Oven Pizza for the first time last night--a group of my Hampton Heights neighbors all walked down for dinner. Man, that place is GREAT. We sat out on the patio and enjoyed a cold beer with yummy pizza on a beautiful night. I highly recommend it!!  :thumbsup: t

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I heard the Bijou was still working on the building. That was several months ago though. Its probably in the Spartanburg Developments thread somewhere.

Sonny's is a great restaurant! I would like to see Ezell St (behind Sonny's) become the next area of interest as Morgan Square is built out.

Went by the Bijou yesterday and they've started back working again. It seems as if they took a little time off.

I agree about Ezell St. I think the Qs1 guys own the buildings there and are developing plans for them. Took a little tour of the Qs1 headquarters. WOW!! beautiful building inside and out.

I agree with the restaurants...i think in downtown we need more...i don't know how to say it but kind of uppity, trendy type restaurants--not just expensive but with a trendy catch. You know what I mean? Like Cazbah in Gville. I'm more of a NuWay kinda gal  ;) but people like those places. I have a friend that loves to go to Cazbah and that's great--we've been with them. We need to offer that in Spartanburg because there is a market for it... those restaurants will go hand in hand with that Bijou Market when it opens---anyone have any news on that by chance?

I went to Sonny's Brick Oven Pizza for the first time last night--a group of my Hampton Heights neighbors all walked down for dinner. Man, that place is GREAT. We sat out on the patio and enjoyed a cold beer with yummy pizza on a beautiful night. I highly recommend it!!  :thumbsup: t

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove by Sonny's around 7 last evening and observed a festive gathering on the deck. I suppose that was you?

You're right, Sonny's has been a great addition to downtown. When the Ezell block develops I suspect Sonny's will continue to thrive.

I can tell you for certain that we are getting two Marble Slabs, one near the new theater near Westgate and another in the Converse Plaza near Converse Cinema's and next to Gerhart's.

I have heard that Olive Garden and Carrabbas may be looking as well. I would think that those plus many more would be looking considering the growth and general size of the area. I have never been to one if these restaurants that wasn't slam full most nights.

Last I heard the Bijou was still working on the building. That was several months ago though. Its probably in the Spartanburg Developments thread somewhere.

Sonny's is a great restaurant! I would like to see Ezell St (behind Sonny's) become the next area of interest as Morgan Square is built out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone heard of a Marble Slab or any other restaurants going to the Boiling Springs area? I heard Logan's was looking.

• 2 months later...

On especially HOT days like today, I'd LOVE to see something like this located at various spots throughout downtown Greenville (Piazza Bergamo, River Place, Cleveland Park, McPherson Park, etc.):

post-292-1122328253_thumb.jpg

If we had something like this, I'd take my kids just so I could cool off myself :lol:

My apologies for the size, but I couldn't find a smaller image on the site that this image is provided by.

Moderator's Note: That image was entriely too large. I have scaled this one down for you. Please use more discression in the future. -Spartan

post-292-1122328253_thumb.jpg

I had heard that something like this was going to be part of the cascading fountain area between Hampton Inn and the Terrace building; however, recent renderings don't really show this to be the case.

I'd definitely like to see this type of kid's fountain area at River Place.

I think another one would be a good use of the lawn outside of the Mast General Store between Piazza Bergamo and the BOA Building (during the spring and summer) and the same area could be used as an ice rink during the winter time.

I also would like to see a Bellagio-style "show" fountain set to music and lit to be various colors be part of River Place (on either side of the river or in the middle of it even).

My apologies for the over-sized image previously; however, I didn't want to "steal" the image from the [url=http://www.centennialpark.com/]Centennial Olympic Park Web Site/URL] and I couldn't find URL for a smaller image from their site either.

I am well aware of that one, but I think the things I have seen on the "interactive one have said it would be on the otherside of the river from that one"  The pictures of the big one next to hampton inn does not look like something you would play in, not with all the water falls it has.  but maybe their is water shooting out of the ground or something at the very top.

Wait no, i am looking at the drawing and their is a car parked there.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that the fountain at RiverPlace was going to just have a wading pool at the bottom. Where you could walk in and i guess therefore "interact" with the water cascading down. more like: let it fall on you. but it's neat and cool nonetheless.

For Greenville:

I'd like to see another RiverPlace sort of development occur in the CBD. On a prime piece of land... near heritage green maybe or even better: TEAR DOWN THE PALMETTO BANK AND DEVELOP ABOUT.... hmmm, maybe two high-highrises, and 3 mid-rises around it on that block. It would increase the density of downtown and that location would be fantastic.

For Greenville:

I'd like to see another RiverPlace sort of development occur in the CBD. On a prime piece of land... near heritage green maybe or even better: TEAR DOWN THE PALMETTO BANK AND DEVELOP ABOUT.... hmmm, maybe two high-highrises, and 3 mid-rises around it on that block. It would increase the density of downtown and that location would be fantastic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've got my vote! A mixed-use office (mostly legal offices) and residential, and shopping (cash advance stores, bail bonds, auto insurance agents, etc.) would be a smart addition to that corner...as well as another parking facility.

Sounds great! I wonder if the Palmetto Bank plans on staying there long-term? I wonder if they would be interested in renting enough of a new high-rise to get their name on the building?

Their location is a prime one, and I hate it that their building and lot sit right there. Such a waste of usable space!

There is an interesting article in today's Greenville News about downtown living in Greenville:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/507260336

I love all of the high-end downtown condos, but I think there is definitely a need for more affordable residential units. With downtown real estate prices rising, it would not surprise me to see developers build a couple of high-rises in the near future with most or all of the units being relatively affordable ($800 a month or less). In order to make it worthwhile for developers, these high-rises would need to be fairly tall. This might be a way for us skyline lovers to see a couple more nice additions to the downtown skyline.

Archived