~Downtown Dreaming~

goodbye

There is an interesting article in today's Greenville News about downtown living in Greenville:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/507260336

I love all of the high-end downtown condos, but I think there is definitely a need for more affordable residential units.  With downtown real estate prices rising, it would not surprise me to see developers build a couple of high-rises in the near future with most or all of the units being relatively affordable ($800 a month or less).  In order to make it worthwhile for developers, these high-rises would need to be fairly tall.  This might be a way for us skyline lovers to see a couple more nice additions to the downtown skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, you've got me anxiously waiting for that to happen now.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fountain in downtown Greenville would be great. That would definitely be popular with the kids, and something else for us to include if we ever have that Greenville commercial running in other markets. :)

Great idea!, let's steal your savings account to pay for it ! A huge waste of taxpayer money. Why not invest in infrastructure and receive a real return on the taxpayer's investment, instead of welfare job programs and feel-good public pork projects.

Great idea!, let's steal your savings account to pay for it ! A huge waste of taxpayer money. Why not invest in infrastructure and receive a real return on the taxpayer's investment, instead of welfare job programs and feel-good public pork projects.

What was that supposed to mean? There are plenty of places for people to live where their hard-earned tax money is used on those "practical" projects and not on "wasteful" public greenspace. You'd be surprised how many people actually are willing to fork over the extra cash to support buying a tree to sit under next to a fountain with a bronze sculpture of some local historical icon. :P

What was that supposed to mean? There are plenty of places for people to live where their hard-earned tax money is used on those "practical" projects and not on "wasteful" public greenspace. You'd be surprised how many people actually are willing to fork over the extra cash to support buying a tree to sit under next to a fountain with a bronze sculpture of some local historical icon. :P

It was supposed to mean exactly what I said. If you believe your own post, then why not establish a voluntary fund for the building of parks and fountains, and you will see exacty what the demand is for those things. Good luck!

Its really quite simple- Things like this increase the quality of life for the community, which in turn benefits the community as a whole by attracting new businesses and new people. Voluntary efforts are great things, but they can be hard to organize. It has little to do with demand. I know that most people don't mind seeing their tax dolalrs put towards a noble project such as this. I sure wouldn't mind if my town did something similar. We have government to provide leadership, and this is one aspect of it.

The city's tax dollars were used to revitalize Main St many years ago. Surely you aren't against that too... but hey, if you believe your posts, then that must be the case.

Archived