The Homemade Renderings Thread

EngineerNole

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by Church Street south of Sanctuary and noticed that in addition to the little old redbrick units there are several units getting whole new exteriors (e.g., under construction). Do they plan to scrap these to build the Chuch & Eola Condo? It'll be interesting to see if they keep working on these. It will be an indication of how serious this proposed project is.

I won't believe it until I see a rendering with a crease in it.

j/k :P

I assume this is the building you're talking about:

Church-Eola.jpg

If so, would you happen to have a rendering of what would be on the Jackson block? Judging from the rendering above and inferring from the sky bridge comment, my guess would be that it's the parking garage for the complex. Is that right?

SMOG... To be frank, the project does not have the details with it to merit a review by the Municipal Planning Board. The retail street is tucked underneath a parking garage... and they also need to appear before the Downtown Development Board's Design Review Committee for preliminary comments prior to an MPB appearance. Plus their traffic report is all screwed up.

I won't believe it until I see a rendering with a crease in it.

j/k  :P

I assume this is the building you're talking about:

Church-Eola.jpg

If so, would you happen to have a rendering of what would be on the Jackson block? Judging from the rendering above and inferring from the sky bridge comment, my guess would be that it's the parking garage for the complex. Is that right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This architecture has been scrapped, I think we'll get something better. A massing model is out there for this block and the block south surrounding the Jackson. The north block is a curved form to take advantage of views of Lake Eola. There is housing on both blocks with podium parking garages. Townhomes line the street between the two projects surrounding the parking podiums. There is a plaza at Eola Avenue. I'll post when renderings solidify.

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrated with the lack of 3-D representation of downtown Orlando in Google Earth, I've started to model it myself. I've started off by adding some of the tallest buildings first and some others at random. Hopefully I'll be able to model enough of downtown so that I can quickly add new development proposals and we can all see how they would appear in the skyline. Unfortunately, the modeling in Google Earth is limited to drawing 2-D dimensional polygons at ground level and extruding them up, so ornamental tops are out of the question, thus the reason for all of the buildings looking so boxy.

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

3dorlando17rz.jpg

3dorlando28gs.jpg

The good news:

I managed to model pretty much all of the major buildings downtown, and it looked pretty good-- Thornton Park was amazingly dense with all of the new proposals.

The bad news:

Google Earth randomly crashed and I lost about 40 buildings I had modeled.

Anyway, here are a couple of updated pictures, minus the buildings I lost:

3dorlando38db.jpg

3dorlando47iq.jpg

The good news:

I managed to model basically all of downtown-- even the 3-story buildings.

The bad news:

Just like before, Google Earth crashed and I lost most of what I had worked on. Fortunately, the program at least saved a lot of the lower downtown/Thornton Park buildings I had modeled. Virtually none of uptown or west of I-4 made it. Sigh.

In the meantime, I'm posting some pictures below so you can take a look at what downtown could look like in a few years.

Buildings under construction are orange, proposed buildings are teal:

3dorlando129yv.jpg

Same shot, grayed out:

3dorlando118qo.jpg

Downtown from the northeast:

3dorlando106ei.jpg

The new Lake Eola wall:

3dorlando95ha.jpg

Say hello to the 400 Club:

3dorlando87rz.jpg

The talls from a different angle:

3dorlando73ca.jpg