The Homemade Renderings Thread

EngineerNole

Two sweet developments in the world of city modeling:

-Google recently added the ability to add polygons (buildings) to its free version of Google Earth. You no longer need to have the Plus or Pro versions of the software to add your own buildings anymore. Get it here.

-The Orlando Business Journal reported today that "Harris Corp. announced Tuesday that its RealSite 3D urban city models are now being featured by Microsoft in the new release of Live Search Maps. Live Search Maps is a free, online local search and mapping service that combines worldwide road and aerial maps for select metropolitan areas. Three-dimensional models are initially available in 15 U.S. cities, but none in Florida." So go to Microsoft's Virtual Earth, download the new software that allows you to view cities in 3-D and enjoy scenes like this one of Boston:

virtualearthze9.jpg

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I updated the Google Earth model today, so it should be pretty accurate now. It will soon be available for download on orlandoskyscrapers.com but in the meantime, I have a bunch of screenshots to share:

NOTE: I added a new color to the mix--purple--to indicate confirmed sites of future development (i.e. new arena, PAC).

Vertical Overview

1fm0.jpg

3/4 Overview

2gr5.jpg

Eastbound I-4 view as seen today

3fv9.jpg

Eastbound I-4 view with construction projects

4oi5.jpg

Eastbound I-4 view of the future

6ww1.jpg

Westbound 408 view as seen today

7ah8.jpg

Westbound 408 view with construction projects

8ww9.jpg

Westbound 408 view of the future

9ec8.jpg

CBD as seen today

10gt2.jpg

CBD with construction projects

11bs0.jpg

CBD of the future

12zf0.jpg

Skyline today

13ub8.jpg

Skyline soon

14cp8.jpg

Skyline of the future

15dh8.jpg

And keep in mind that the new arena will have a major presence in the skyline and will fill in the gap on the left side of that last picture. Then there's the PAC with its 4-5 towers...

• 4 months later...

Awesome work! Not to be nit picky, but isn't the orientation of Dynetech Centre backwards? I thought the spire is going to face Lake Eola/Rosalind and not Magnolia. I'm working on a personal project involving Dynetech myself and was wondering if I should change my perpective.

Thanks for the new rendering, I love it!

I have yet to see a rendering of the "rear" or North side of 55W. Everyone assumes it will be completely flat. I know it will at least have the same spine feature going up the middle as the "front" or South side of the building. You can see that they are already starting to build that part out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The same picture is also on page 6 without any headlines in the way. I remember when I was a little kid my grandparents had an "Orlando-Land" magazine from the early 70's (same mag this one evolved from) and it's cover had "Step in to the Future-Orlando in 1980." I really wish I could find that somewhere, it was total fantasy, with people in shiny Jetson clothing and it said things like "Mother steps out the door of her living quad and on to the moving sidewalk which carries her to the nearest food distribution unit while Father travels to work in his hydrogen powered floating vehicle and drives in to the climate controlled dome over downtown Orlando....etc....

It was really a hoot, but at the time I took it seriously and I suppose adults would have too. It was during the Mideast Oil Crisis and it talked about how everything was solar powered and clean burning. Guess they got the idea from "Logan's Run" if any of you remember that movie or TV show.

Archived