Atlanta

ironchapman

I have just been to the newly-created Tallahassee forum.

It really got me to wondering: "Should Atlanta get its own forum?"

We really seem to have a dedicated group of posters here (including myself). The activity seems to suggest that they should try another forum on Atlanta. Maybe just give a week or two to prove itself withsome new topics and some topics tranferred from recent ones on the GA page.

Just wanted to know what you think.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought it would help people looking just for posts on ATL.

As for decent discussions, we might have a problem, but hopefull there will be a good moderator for any ATL forum (like Spartan does for the current one). Many NC threads seem to face the same problem though, with all the fighting amongst city supporters (Charlotte and Raleigh for example, but the posters there seem to be pretty well informed, generally) and from other states.

Of all the forums, about 4 of them including this one - I've only known of zigzag who is from Savannah (posts great pictures of his city) at 2 forums, of course someone here who I guess lives in Columbus & some girl from central GA at another forum. So - I doubt there ever will develop much forum activity for GA that doesn't include Atlanta.

In other words.... since most Atlanta forummers don't have much to say regarding the state of Georgia (& I admit I'm one) the Georgia forum is the de facto Atlanta forum. As I recall from the last attempt at an Atlanta forum - it was pretty awful dull, which explained my absence from a year ago.

Too true.

Notice exactly how many posts containsome version of Atlanta, Fulton County, Atlanta Metro, or one of the cities in the Atlanta Metro.

It's because we don't have enough matured cities here. The only ones I really consider mature are Atlanta (several posters) and Savannah (only a few posters).

Of all the forums, about 4 of them including this one - I've only known of zigzag who is from Savannah (posts great pictures of his city) at 2 forums, of course someone here who I guess lives in Columbus & some girl from central GA at another forum. So - I doubt there ever will develop much forum activity for GA that doesn't include Atlanta.

There was just someone on called "SavannahGa"

A new idea, what if the Georgia forum became the "Atlanta/Georgia" forum and "Other GA Cities" was a subforum?

I'm not really THAT determined to get an ATL forum of some sort, but the idea just entered my head.

So, you're saying the GA forum might die off in some senses if an Atlanta forum was created?

Other GA cities do need more representation, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly.

There was just someone on called "SavannahGa"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

zigzig = SavannahGa

A new idea, what if the Georgia forum became the "Atlanta/Georgia" forum and "Other GA Cities" was a subforum?

I'm not really THAT determined to get an ATL forum of some sort, but the idea just entered my head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our current set up has been much more successful than our previous set up, which was "Atlanta." Everything else was lumped in with the Carolinas for while. We have tried several combinations, and I think this one works the best for now. We have a pretty good mix of everything. Like monsoon said, if there is enough support we will make one. But IMO, it is not necessary at this point.

Compared to "other forums" we have more discussions about non-Atlanta areas, which I think is our biggest asset. I enjoy reading about the cities other than Atlanta, since I have done a lot of traveling in GA.

For now, I will say one last thing, the reason that ATL doesn't have its own forum is because, other than ATL, there isn't really a city supported by enough forumers here. While, in other forums, such as SC, cities with 1/3 and 1/4 the population of ATL get a forum because there are several forumers from that area. Most of them seem to frequent the boards for their hometown quite often. Thus a forum about a city of 130,000, like Columbia with 700,000 in its metro is able to survive as a forum while a city of 430,000 like ATL with 4,500,000 in its metro won't. It all comes down to the amount of loyal forumers, I guess. Many forumers seem to be from S/NC, and they are loyal to their cities' forums, for the most part.

For now, I will say one last thing, the reason that ATL doesn't have its own forum is because, other than ATL, there isn't really a city supported by enough forumers here. While, in other forums, such as SC, cities with 1/3 and 1/4 the population of ATL get a forum because there are several forumers from that area. Most of them seem to frequent the boards for their hometown quite often. Thus a forum about a city of 130,000, like Columbia with 700,000 in its metro is able to survive as a forum while a city of 430,000 like ATL with 4,500,000 in its metro won't. It all comes down to the amount of loyal forumers, I guess. Many forumers seem to be from S/NC, and they are loyal to their cities' forums, for the most part.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason for that was the forum was created by a group of Charlotte forumers. However I am not opposed to what you suggest as we can continue to adjust the formula to get more participation for Atlanta and the rest of the state. Maybe one of the reasons the rest of the state is almost non-existant is Atlanta.

So how about this.

1. We rename the subforum Atlanta/Georgia (or something similar, let me know)

2. We add an "Other Cities" subforum

We need a good description for both

So, you're saying the forum would like like this in the "Cities Places and Regions" Section

Atlanta/Georgia

Description of the state/city

Subforums: Other GA Cities

Is that what it would look like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but the the subforum would need a descrition also.

Try this:

Atlanta Metro/Georgia

The Peach State and Its Capital

Subforums: Other GA Cities

Outside Metro Atlanta

or

The Rest of the State

or

GA's Other Big Cities

Something like this?

Personally, I like the first two.

If created, the Atlanta Metro/Georgia forum would have any topic on Atlanta and any issue affecting the state as a whole. (new interstates, other roads, new taxes, new laws that affect the whole state).

The Other GA Cities Forum would have any news on Athens, Augusta, Albany, Brunswick, Columbus, Dalton, Macon, Rome, Savannah, Valdosta, Warner Robins and any other GA city outside of the ATL metro.

The Atlanta Metro should probably cover these cities in addition to ATL:

-Decatur and other DeKalb Cities

-Douglasville and Douglas County

-Marietta and other Cobb cities

-All Fulton cities

-All Cherokee cities

-All Gwinnett cities

-Gainesville and the rest of Hall

-All Paulding cities

-All Forsyth cities

-All Cowta Cities

-All Clayton Cities