Valdosta, Ga part of your metro

monsoon

Do you guys consider Valdosta part of you Metro?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys consider Valdosta part of you Metro?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No... I see Valdosta doing its own thing. We should remember that in order for a metro to exist, more than 50% of the residents from that community must be gainfully employed in another. As far as I know, Tallahassee doesn't employ that many from Valdosta. Additionally, it is too far away for this matchup.

I'd leave this one for Georgia. Its growing, and will soon become its own metro.

No... I see Valdosta doing its own thing. We should remember that in order for a metro to exist, more than 50% of the residents from that community must be gainfully employed in another. As far as I know, Tallahassee doesn't employ that many from Valdosta. Additionally, it is too far away for this matchup.

I'd leave this one for Georgia. Its growing, and will soon become its own metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to assume monsoon's intent wasn't that Valdosta would technically be part of Tallahassee' MSA or even CSA - but that they were similar in a regional sense. Valdosta is actually a MSA - 4 counties even.

Right... therefore it should remain in the GA forum. I truly think the only connection between it and the Tallahassee region is its theme park "Wild Aventures" that draws alot of Tallahasseeans. There are occasional mentions of Valdosta on the local news, but not enough to where I would consider them similar in a regional since. Valdosta is truly a Georgia treasure.

If Valdosta is a part of your Metro now, it won't be in the future, it'll one day be part of it's own metro.

Thanks on the Treasure remark.

P.S. How did the city get its name. Is it from the Valle d'Oste in France/Italy?

No, Valdosta is considered its own metro area. Yes, Valdosta is The Azalea City. It's also famous for Doc Holiday, who lived there for a short time...

My in-laws live in Madison Coounty, FL. And I used to work at VSU.... How I hated living down there. It's too hot, there's toads and frogs everywhere and Tallahassee is the BIG city.... :lol: OMG that was an awful (for me) place to live.

ETA: Valdosta and Tallahassee do share at least one TV station. The local CBS affiliate... Channel 6. I can't remember, but I think they shared the local Fox and NBC stations as well. I know most local stations in Valdosta come out of Tallahassee with the exception of the Atlanta ABC affiliate.

No, Valdosta is considered its own metro area. Yes, Valdosta is The Azalea City. It's also famous for Doc Holiday, who lived there for a short time...

My in-laws live in Madison Coounty, FL. And I used to work at VSU.... How I hated living down there. It's too hot, there's toads and frogs everywhere and Tallahassee is the BIG city....  :lol: OMG that was an awful (for me) place to live.

ETA: Valdosta and Tallahassee do share at least one TV station. The local CBS affiliate... Channel 6. I can't remember, but I think they shared the local Fox and NBC stations as well. I know most local stations in Valdosta come out of Tallahassee with the exception of the Atlanta ABC affiliate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CBS, WCTV does cover the Valdosta area. The local FOX station does cover Valdosta news, it is affiliated with CBS.

WTLH-Downtown-2.jpg

Love that image!!

But the local NBC does not.

• 7 months later...

You'll hear on WCTV something to the effect of "This is WCTV Channel 6: North Florida/South GA or Thomasville/Tallahassee". But in general, I consider Valdosta to be an independent metro, separate from Tallahassee. Valdosta has it's own suburbs, we got our own. Plus, Valdosta is about the same distance as Lake City is from Tallahassee.

Atlanta's metro is practically dominating Georgia. They might annex all the way up to the TN state line if they keep growing the way they are.

Not to nit-pick but Metro's don't annex counties. The US census determines what consititutes a metro or MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) based on economic ties. Specifically 25% of the employed must work in the MSA to be included in that MSA. In Atlanta's case, many of the outer counties are very small (<25,000) and rural with few jobs for locals which leads to them commuting to the metro for work. I think metro Atlanta is probably near its physical limits as it is now adjacent to other metros that DO have jobs and seperate MSA's.

Now back to the topic. What counties DO make up Tallahassee metro and does anyone have a map?

Since Tallahassee is the closest "major city" in South GA, there isn't an adequate job market in Valdosta, Thomasville and those country towns so the residents commute here for work/recreational purposes.

That may be the case. There's a percentage of a home county's population that must work in a host county for that host county to be able to claim that home county as part of its metro. I'm not sure enough people from Thomas, Grady, and Decautr counties work in Tallahassee, although quite a few do.

Archived