Valdosta, Ga part of your metro

monsoon

Do you guys consider Valdosta part of you Metro?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys consider Valdosta part of you Metro?

• Yes
    • No

I definitely see Valdosta as being quite separate from Tallahassee. To me it seems quite remote. I just did a MapQuest driving directions search starting from my old address near downtown Tallahassee and ending in Valdosta (no specified ending address). MapQuest gave me 1 hour, 46 minutes as the estimated driving time. Anything that far from Tallahassee should be considered as outside of Tallahassee metro (unless it is determined that that many people really do commute from there).

Valdosta's a beautiful city, and I was born there. I definitely feel that barring any census discoveries changing it, it should remain its own metro.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta has sprawl like no other.

Haha thats true. Atlanta still kicks ass though! Harris County (which is in Columbus's metro) has become a place for many Atlanta residents to move to. They often commute to Newnan or Peachtree City right south of downtown ATL. Before long, Columbus will be a giant suburb of Atlanta!

Haha thats true. Atlanta still kicks ass though! Harris County (which is in Columbus's metro) has become a place for many Atlanta residents to move to. They often commute to Newnan or Peachtree City right south of downtown ATL. Before long, Columbus will be a giant suburb of Atlanta!

This is a good thing? This is a bragging point and something to be proud of? :huh:

Now for the record, Valdosta is NOT part of the Tally metro and probably never will be. It is its own separate metro. It was designated in 2003 by the census bureau as a new metro area and includes the following counties in GA:

Lowndes (Valdosta)

Brooks(Quitman)

Echols(Statenville)

Lanier(Lakeland)

with a 2003 population of approx. 120K compared to a metro area pop. for Tally of approx. 330K. Now maybe one day in the future Tally and Valdosta could become a CMA, but that would be a long way off. They are however part of our TV market.

Good map of our metro area TJ. I think that if we ever add another county to our metro the best candidate based on how the census burea defines them would be Grady County, GA (Cairo.) Thomas County and Thomasville have many more jobs in the county than Grady County. I am sure a larger Percent of those in Grady commute to Tally than those in Thomas County, thus making them the best candidate. Another probable candidate would be Liberty County (Bristol.) If they were added to our metro they'd increase our population by a whopping 8,000 people....wow! Liberty and Lafayette counties are always in a race for the smallest population county in FL. Each year they seem to flip-flop for who is in last place.

• 2 years later...

In the theme of not starting another Valdosta thread I figure I should post on this existing one.

When i heard weeks ago that Valdosta was auctioning off a large portion of land to developers I was suddenly excited.

I havent been to Valdosta in a few years but with this magnitude of growth maybe Tallahassean's will want to make the trek up here once in a while to get out.

Archived