What's Your City's Signature Building

tower of americas

SAN ANTONIO look it up on your own/  the original needle shutup seattle, toronto, las vegas. not sure about that actually

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Space Needle was constructed in 1962 for the 1964 World's Fair in Seattle. The Tower of Americas was built in 1969 for the "HemisFair", Texas' own lame recreation of the World's Fair. Nice try though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although Hartford, CT is not as well known a city as others and perceived in a negative way by the media at time I thougt I would share what I THINK are Hartford's signature building (s)

1. Travelers Tower (24 floors, 527 feet, 2nd highest building in city, first skyscraper in New England)

2. Connecticut State Capital (6 floors, 287 feet)

3. City Place I (38 story office tower, 535 feet, tallest building in the state)

4. Goodwin Square (30 story office tower, 522 feet, attached 124 room Goodwin Hotel)

I cannot post pics, but i Quito, the most renowned buildings asre the ones constructed by the Spaniards druing colonial times. There are many beautiful churches that were build by the indian, incan slaves. :):ph34r:

Industrial National building in Providence - formerly Providence National Bank, and IndustrialTrust Company, thenIndustrial National Bank, now Fleet Bank.....

Built as the tallest building in New England (1928), remained so for over twenty years. Designed by Walker & Gillette (NY).

source: "Guide to Providence Architecture" M. Woodward

Fleet Bank

Industrial National building in Providence - formerly Providence National Bank, and IndustrialTrust Company, thenIndustrial National Bank, now Fleet Bank.....

Built as the tallest building in New England (1928), remained so for over twenty years. Designed by Walker & Gillette (NY).

source: "Guide to Providence Architecture" M. Woodward

Fleet Bank

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love that pic by Stephanie Izzo, I'm going to have to buy a copy of it I think. I believe the building is currently being called "The Bank of America Building" although Fleet sold it ahead of the merger. Here's another photo of it by Sandor Bodo:

SandorBodo-SupermanBuilding.jpg

I love that pic by Stephanie Izzo, I'm going to have to buy a copy of it I think. I believe the building is currently being called "The Bank of America Building" although Fleet sold it ahead of the merger. Here's another photo of it by Sandor Bodo:

SandorBodo-SupermanBuilding.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love that building! It captures the essence of Art Deco brilliantly! Who was the architect and has it been renovated recently?

In a post 9/11 world the Empire State Building endures as the symbol of New York City's skyline. Ironically, the state license plates of New York have always had the image of the building in the upper left hand corner of the plates. An enduring symbol of our city.

Another Minneapolis building that is getting Noticed is the Target Corparation Headquarters. During the day it is pretty plain but at night the upper floors contain a unique lighting display of 130 thirty-foot glass pipes that can be illuminated in any color in any pattern. Light from 575-watt bulbs is shot through each tube and mixed by three color wheels representing the primary colors, and then distributed throughout the pipe by a unique film lining. The technology was developed by the locally-based 3M Corporation.

Here is a pic but it does no do it justice because the colors actually oscillate pulsate, rotate, fade --so the building looks completely different every minute -- the lights are constantly in motion and the pattern contantly is changing.

Target is on the left: minneapolis1.jpg

Another Minneapolis building that is getting Noticed is the Target Corparation Headquarters.  http://www.chessbase.de/2004/minneapolis/minneapolis1.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this building is a good example of how Target sees itself physically different than Walmart, their corporate headquarters are in a skyscraper in a downtown. Where is Walmart's, Bentonville, Arkansas? Target tries to fit into the urban fabric much more than Walmart.

Not to stray from the topic, just something I noticed....

I think this building is a good example of how Target sees itself physically different than Walmart, their corporate headquarters are in a skyscraper in a downtown.  Where is Walmart's, Bentonville, Arkansas? Target tries to fit into the urban fabric much more than Walmart. 

Not to stray from the topic, just something I noticed....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True that.... but Wal Mart remade the entire northwestern corner of Arkansas. Where else in that odd little state can you find a Gucci or a Saks? It's brought a tremendous amount of wealth to a seemingly random area. Nevertheless... Target does align itself with urbanity (if that's a word) much more.

Archived