What's Your City's Signature Building

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one was the first Spanish church to be built in the area. It was construted over the ruins of an old "tiangues", or market in the natives's language. Its importance comes from that, being the building born from the clash between two different cultures, the Incas, or natives quitus, and the Spanish.

Before

6.JPG

later

IMG058.jpg

This little mountain is just in the middle of the city, right behind the colonial, historic center. It divides the northern part from the southern one. Unfortunately, Quito is planned according to the british model of forming the new, modern, rich city in the north, and placing the industry, factories and workers in the south. The virgen's back, on the top of the mountain, points towards the south. You could say, that it is our most sinificant skyline.

El_Panecillo_Quito.JPG

w_panecillo_c.jpg

Undoubtedly, this monument is very representative. Ecuador's name comes from the word "equator". This construction is build in latitute 0.

Equator%20near%20Quito%20jan%2003.jpg

equator.jpg

The Cathedral

Quito%20Colonial%20Building.jpg

And finally, our most representative factor, our mountains....

Quito.jpg

quito-pichincha.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.galapagosnet.com/bus/images/QUITO%20MODERNO%20A%20LAS%20FALDAS%20DEL%20VOLC

Of course, I forgot. The Jesuit Company. This Church is a pure and perfect example of the Barroque style during the 16th century. It is just too busy. What is interesting about it, and about all of the colonial churches, is that, because they were designed by spanish and constructed by indians, it is possible to see how these natives hide their own symbols among the Christian structure. The incan god, the sun appears constantly over Jesus, together with the appeareance of many continental symbology, such as fruits and animals.

ecuador8.jpg

La_Compania_Church_quito.jpg

residen.jpg

la%20compania%20quito,ecuador.jpg

ecuador10.jpg

Also, the bas

While I have more than a slight love of modern, high-rise architecture, I doubt that anyone on here can not have an appreciation for such beautiful buildings. Great collection of pics Ruso :) The picture of the city with the mountains in the background is gorgeous. I wish we had mountains here in Hampton Roads hahaha. Too bad our highest elevation is probably less than 100 feet.

Signature Building in New Orleans...Saint Louis Cathedral

31352627stlouiscathedralmaster.jpg

Signature tower in New Orleans...One Shell Square(not the best looking, but it stands out)   

couldnt find a good pic...

oneshellsquare4nl.th.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beautiful building :ph34r:

When was it constructed? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first church that stood on the current site of the Saint Louis Cathedral was constructed in 1727, it acted as the main catholic church of New Orleans. That building was later destroyed. The second building to stand on this site was the original Saint Louis Cathedral, but it was burned to the ground by a massive fire that destroyed over 850 buildings in the French Quarter in 1788. The third building to stand on this site is the Saint Louis Cathedral that still stands today, it was completed in 1794. In 1819 the city of New Orleans agreed to pay for a clock and a clock tower to be put in the center of the building(it is still there today) The cathedral underwent a massive renovation in 1851 and part of it collapsed during the renovation. The building still looks the same on the exterior today.

According to some of the old New Orleans legends, Saint Louis Cathedral is haunted.

Prairieghosts.com

In Lansing, MI our signature buildings are not nearly as impressive as the other ones on this forum, but here they are:

The Boji Tower (AKA Michigan National Tower, Olds Tower) built in 1931

8790michigan_national_2_compressed.jpg

Or the Michigan State Capitol, built in 1878.

8790capitol-with_flowers_compressed.jpg

I agree the Bellsouth tower is a signature for Nashville, I still think the old L & C building is the real Signature. After all at the time it was built in 1956 or so, it was the tallest building in the Southeast at 30 floors and 409 ft. Now almost everything is taller but it still is a landmark buidling. See link below.

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/...andC/landc1.htm

I thougt I would share what I THINK are Hartford's signature building (s)

1. Travelers Tower (24 floors, 527 feet, 2nd highest building in city, first skyscraper in New England)

2. Connecticut State Capital (6 floors, 287 feet)

3. City Place I (38 story office tower, 535 feet, tallest building in the state)

4. Goodwin Square (30 story office tower, 522 feet, attached 124 room Goodwin Hotel)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely correct, the Travelers Tower is, and has been Hartford's signature building for over 85 years. Although not the tallest building in Hartford, it still stands alone in terms of it's design.

Hartford_Travelers_Tower.jpg

It can still dominate the skyline from certain angles.

HartfordskylinefromColtParksmall.jpg

It certainly dominates the night skyline B)

HartfordfromALsmall.jpg

Archived