City Trivial Pursuit

ironchapman

-Quito, Ecuador has the largest colonial, historic center in the Americas.

-It is the first city declared Cultural Patrimony of the World by the UN.

-It is the second highest capital in the world.

-The nation to which Quito is the capital is named Ecuador, because it was from Quito that the equator was measured for the first time.

-Ecuador has the Galapagos Islands, that, as I hope most of you know, is the place where Charles Darwin developed his theory of Evolution.

-A month ago, there was a conference organized in there regarding Evolution, which assembled the most important biologist in the world. If you are interested, check out the last National Geographic edition, "Was Darwin Wrong?".

We dont have much, but we have a little.... :thumbsup::ph34r:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No streets in Charlotte run north-south or east-west, and street names are astonishingly similar and change without warning

and I don't know how much truth there is to this but I heard:

Charlotte reportedly has more trees per capita than any city in the United States.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear that they found gold when building BOA headquarters bldg. I do know they had gold mines in uptown Charlotte.

It depends on what you mean by "largest".

Dennver International Airport is the largest in the country in terms of size (bigger than Dal-FTW Int'l and O'Hare put together). I don't know which one has the most runways though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Denver's infamous automated baggage handling system, which never worked, was finally scrapped this week. Humans will instead move the bags. I believe the airport still has to pay the lease on that system until 2025. Isn't that insane?

Denver's infamous automated baggage handling system, which never worked, was finally scrapped this week.  Humans will instead move the bags.  I believe the airport still has to pay the lease on that system until 2025.  Isn't that insane?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.

Denver Int'l has had several financial problems associated with it.

Norfolk also has a canon ball from the British during the Revolutionary War still stuck in the wall of a church. Newport News Shipyard has the largest moving crane in the world in metric tons, 900 to be exact. Norfolk is where the waffle cone was invented. If the third tunnel crossing is built it will be the widest tunnel in the world. Norfolk is the world's largest exporter of coal and grain. Has the largest container crane in the world. Has 5 tunnels through the metro area. 2nd worse bottleneck in the country for tourist traffic.

• 4 months later...

I live in Bremerton, Washington which is directly west of Seattle and the two are separated by the Puget Sound.

Bremerton was formed as a town by the Bremer family, and it was shortly thereafter decided the Sinclair Inlet (Bremerton's downtown riverfront) would make a terrific locale for a navy shipyard. Bremerton remained a small town for decades, a navy town and not much else.

During World War II, FDR feared the Japanese might attack Seattle. His administration quickly pushed through a massive increase in work at Bremerton's naval yard. Within a couple years the population of Bremerton exploded to 86,000.

After WWII, the military's buildup and spending was severely reduced. Bremerton's population dropped to around 28,000.

Bremerton languished as the poor kid on the Puget Sound block until about 1998. A full renaissance is now in bloom.

Bremerton is the home port for the USS Turner Joy Battleship, the one captured by North Korea in the 1970s. It can be toured by the public.

Bremerton's population is now 38,500. But it seems larger. It is urban, has public transit, and is diverse. Out of 28 voting districts, John Kerry carried 25:)

Just a few facts about Bremerton,my adopted home (born and raised in Charlotte)

^ The Bremerton area has been doing well for awhile now. The unincorporated areas north of the city have been growing for sometime and should be considered part of Bremerton. Unincorporated Silverdale is Bremerton and Kitsap County's retail hub. It is just Bremerton proper that had been suffering.

It is a beautiful place. My avatar are the mountains just to its west.

Bremerton is the home port for the USS Turner Joy Battleship, the one captured by North Korea in the 1970s. It can be toured by the public.

And Bremerton was also home to U.S.S. Missouri for 30 years until she was called up for refit in the 80s. I toured Missouri in the 70s while she was there. Her final voyage to Pearl Harbor began from Bremerton.

Archived