Riverside on the James

wrldcoupe4

I suspect that the reasoning is twofold.

1) Henrico Fire Department... at the time that the restrictions were put into place Henrico probably had an all volunteer Fire Dept (maybe it still does?).  Lifting the height restrictions would mean serious upgrades for the fire dept (they would have to buy ladder trucks for example).

2) Most people consider high-rises out in the country unsightly.  Aesthetics usually play a role (primary in most cases) with height restrictions.  Developers and residents of  "nice" neighborhoods don't want high-rise development to destroy the illusion of living in the country.  I used to hate this idea but over time I like the fact that there aren't buildings visible above the tree line out in the counties.  Henrico county (with the exception of Broad Street) looks like park land from most of the major roads.  It is pleasant and intentional.  On  the flip side, low density development is eating up more rural land than is necessary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the explanation Brent. I can understand the fire department thing, but like you said regarding the low density problem and the increase of development eating more land, for almost that reason alone it seems like Henrico needs to grow up and kill the height restrictions!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the ROTJ topic. Latest rumor (and I emphasize RUMOR) is that the Power Plant will be transformed into - tadaah!!! Are you ready for this?!!!

CAYOTE UGLY!!!

It may not make Richmond's feminists happy, but I'll bet the Macho-Macho Men will flock to it.

A Ruth's Chris "type" restaurant may be a tenant on the ground floor of the office tower and other unspecified retail is being sought for other ground level areas.

When I was down there, a door to the Power Plant was open so, of course, I walked through. It is IMMENSE - about the length of a football field.

Incidentally, if you take an elevator to P-6 from the ground level of the office tower, you can get a great river view, but parapets are so high in other areas, you can only look up at the skyline.

:)

PS: McAllister's Deli is NOT open nor was any work going on there the weekday I visited.

I think coyote Ugly should be in the bottom I just checked my website it seems a little extreme I think it would do better in the bottom its just not right for the Canal Walk. I think Hard Rock would do better on the canal then Coyote Ugly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, Joey. It might be just the thing to liven up that dead area. After all, it's not a "Gentlemen's Club" like Velvet. It's a kind of an up-scale Hooters, isn't it? The girls don't strip, they just dance on the bars and mix drinks in their revealing costumes. Sounds like fun to me!! :lol:

btw thanks for the update on the rest of the tenant information. I think a nice steak restaurant would fit pretty well. It would be even better if you could have your steak dinner delivered to your aparment for dinner for 2 on the balcony looking out upon the city/river.

Hopefully, they line up serious tenants sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

btw thanks for the update on the rest of the tenant information. I think a nice steak restaurant would fit pretty well. It would be even better if you could have your steak dinner delivered to your aparment for dinner for 2 on the balcony looking out upon the city/river.

Hopefully, they line up serious tenants sooner rather than later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worldcoupe4 - ever the romantic!! He wants dinner for two by candlelight catered by the downstairs chic restaurant in his intimate 1-bedroom. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I looked in the old power plant part of the project. While empty, I noticed a large piece of machinery that runs on what seems to be fairly new tracks near the ceiling. hard to explain but it looks like something permanent (I don't know if it was there before renovation)....any ideas? Also, McAllister's is definitely opening soon, interior work is totally finished and they were training employees. However, it's only opened Mon-Fri :(

I looked in the old power plant part of the project. While empty, I noticed a large piece of machinery that runs on what seems to be fairly new tracks near the ceiling. hard to explain but it looks like something permanent (I don't know if it was there before renovation)....any ideas? Also, McAllister's is definitely opening soon, interior work is totally finished and they were training employees. However, it's only opened Mon-Fri :(

Maybe those ceiling tracks will levitate and swing the COYOTE UGLY show girls over the customers' heads!

:yahoo:

Did you check to see if my receptionist/informer was on duty? :lol:

I was dragging my little brother around with me and totally forgot about the receptionist.

I hope those ceiling tracks aren't for Coyote Ugly! Girls that heavy might not draw such a large crowd! :rofl:

No, the girls wouldn't be heavy. The mechanism would just allow a show/biz way to manouver the attractions in a sort of cirque soleiu manner.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

well it was:

"Major retail announcements for a portion of the space will be announced in mid-December"

So I'm assuming that means more than 1 announcement? I wish I knew what was planned there....

A B&N would be awesome. At one point that was a possibility right or was that just what people were hoping would come there?

hahaha that was a hope we had for across the canal in a beautiful italianate building still owned by alcoa.

What we've heard is... a nice steakhouse on par with Ruth's Chris, something like Coyote Ugly, maybe other shops?

but we couldn't confirm those. At least we know the storefronts won't be empty now :w00t:

A B&N would be awesome. At one point that was a possibility right or was that just what people were hoping would come there?

Ric75, What is B&N. Is it some kind of restaurant/amusement facility with "Buster" in its name?

It's definitely not a B&B, coupe. :lol:

hahaha that was a hope we had for across the canal in a beautiful italianate building still owned by alcoa.

What we've heard is... a nice steakhouse on par with Ruth's Chris, something like Coyote Ugly, maybe other shops?

but we couldn't confirm those. At least we know the storefronts won't be empty now :w00t:

Now, coupe! Those steakhouse and Coyoto rumors came from me, so take 'em with a grain of salt. Some people think I lie. :rolleyes:

Archived