wrldcoupe4

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY! NEW TENANTS ANNOUNCED!

:yahoo:

Restaurant Group Will Take Over Power Plant

excerpts:

Riverside on the James should be rolling with upscale restaurants and entertainment later this year.

Two companies have signed leases in the development, bringing more dining and entertainment options downtown.....

"We wanted to make sure they were the right ones, and they are," Cordish said. "These are large companies that are national in scope . . . but at the same time creating unique concepts that are being done with Richmond in mind. They are not just the same things you see in city after city across the country but will be a unique draw to Richmond."

Here are the plans:

* The CB5 Restaurant Group, which has created about 70 restaurant concepts nationally, will take over the 34,000-square-foot renovated Power Plant building. It also will use a smaller building that connects the Power Plant with the residential tower.........The company also will use the Riverside on the James venue as its operational headquarters and a central culinary training facility. There could be three different venues within the space, he said -- one as a primary restaurant, another as a bar and a third as a place with music to gather after dinner.

* McFadden's Restaurant and Saloon, an upscale sports bar, will use 7,100 square feet in the first floor of the office tower closest to 11th Street. It also will have an outdoor patio area. McFadden's will feature a 50-foot-long bar, a fireplace and flat panel televisions. Its original location is in midtown Manhattan. The chain has added restaurants in markets such as Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and Chicago.

Apparently CB5 is planning on using the powerplant space for more than one use, which could become pretty interesting. McFadden's is a pretty big one to land, as they only have restaurants in cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, and NYC. So.... no Coyote Ugly for me and eric haha, but still good news none the less. I'd like to see some sort of retail in one of the spots as well...

The article also mentions that Toad's Place is set to open this spring...

:yahoo:

I went to Google to find McFadden's. There are web sites for its several locations, but when trying to pull up pictures, they ask for a password.

Sounds kinda racy, Eric! :whistling:

Yeah, I've just never heard of them before...I just hope that the restaurants there achieve what was envisioned.

Have you guys looked at the web site that coupe posted for CB5? Check it out, and click on "projects". You'll see what CB5 thru collaboration with owners like Cordish has developed in major cities across the country. And, believe me, there's nothing like them anywhere close to Richmond.

The Power Plant alone has about 35,000 square feet, so in addition to one of CB5's fanciful restaurants, it will also house separate bar(s) and club(s) like no others now in Richmond. The enclosed space between the Power Plant and the condo tower will be utilized for entertainment/food purposes.

Across the patio on the ground floor of the office tower, a sports bar called Mcfadden's will open. It will have multiple panel TVs, a fire place and a 50-foot bar. Its other locations in Boston, NYC, Phila, Balto and DC are very popular.

While it appears every foot will be filled with restaurants/bars, there is still considerable square footage on the ground floor of the condo tower. Hopefully, Cordish will find some retail tenants to occupy these spaces, some with desirable views overlooking the river.

How is this really supposed to work?

Will it really attract Richmonders to be successful? You know we're stubborn especially about downtown. I remember some hag in Wellesley complain Valentine Riverside was too far away in 1994 and that is why she wouldn't go. Who told her to move where she did? Spoiled suburbanites... one reason why I don't like the people in or near Short Pump.

Anyway, will they be attracted? Because whenever I mention building something unique downtown for retail, I get that crap critical mass thrown in my face. Here we are doing the "place it there and people will come" motif. You can't tell me it won't work in other areas downtown, especially along Broad.

And where will people park for all of this? In the deck?

Cam you certainly were in a funk last night :lol: .... I think the canal walk should be viewed slightly different than the rest of downtown. The canal walk was specifically designed to be a destination with shops, restaurants, office space etc....It was intended to draw in people from all over, particularly those that didn't frequent the city. Though it looks pretty and all, looking pretty doesn't really fulfill its purpose and vision. We were promised these shops and restaurants from the start of the ROTJ project. They've finally come.

I'd agree that, in order to promote downtown, that the parking should be free after 4pm and free on the weekends.... hopefully this is something Wilder can address. At least we don't have to pay the parking meters on weekends. I think free parking would help lure people downtown.

Heck, even if they charged $1 instead of the $5 or $6 that is typical...

But where will they park their SUVs and mini-vans?

Downtown parking and other parking areas need to be free. No more $5 night time parking, geeeeeeez.

Sez who? People in all big cities are enured to paying outrageous parking fees. I remember being astonished when the deck at 5th and Marshall charged me $7 for two-hour parking. I grumbled, but I paid it rather than back up cars behind me. It could very well discourage visitors from the outer rim UNLESS you have something hot to attract and distract!

Your friends, DEVELOPERS, don't build for free. Do you want Mr. Wilder to direct the City to decree that all privately built decks pick up the fee? Even he would lose that battle.

Another sad example, Cadeho, of why expanding suburbia appeals to the majority! :cry:

Another sad example, Cadeho, of why expanding suburbia appeals to the majority! :cry:

Perhaps it appeals to the majority but it doesn't mean that there won't be a continuing influx of people into downtown areas. As long as we keep getting young professionals and artists and the suburbs keep getting crabby homebodies I'll be happy. :D

Archived