Riverside on the James

wrldcoupe4

What else is at the Hampton Power Plant, Urbanfan? I remember reading some months back that the developer had reneged on a lot he had promised for Hampton. Is he finally beginning to deliver?

Is Mcfadden's popular there?

Please visit here more often, urbanfan. It's nice to read your contributions. :)

To add to the list, there is alot of restaurants, such as joes crab shack, lonestar steakhouse and salon, of course mcfadden's, some club called the parrot beach?, it is a comedy club, ice cream parlor called cold stone creamery (one of my favorite spots. I can't even begin to name all of the restaraunts in this one development there are so many. You'll have to come down and try some of these restaraunts out. There is a really good Italian restaraunt called Jonny Carino's. Anyway, this is all centered around a big lake. Bass Pro Shop's does some shows and stuff out on the lake. The Power Plant seemed like it would fall apart, yet it has defied logic and is very popular with the younger club crowd. Not to mention that Bass Pro Shops is always full. The area is really starting to pick up momentum. A big announcement is expected this week on some new developments going in, and we already had some announcements about new hotels going up in the complex. One is a Hilton brand the other I'm not sure, this will add some 300 more hotels rooms to the several thousand that are within a half mile already.

Anyway, I'll try to refrain from hijacking the thread. I'll stop by some more in the off-topic thread. :thumbsup:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I tried to move some postings today and actually as of now 2 are missing! I hope to find them soon. You guys were speaking of the Power Plant and I tried to move two postings over to off topic but they seemed to have vanished into thin air. :(

Riverside on the James and the Power Plant in Hampton are connected because the same man is the head honcho of both, so we were just comparing facilities and expected facilities. In my view, I don't think we really have strayed off topic. Or at least, not too far. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Goodbye Suburbs!

Great article about living downtown, and more specifically in Riverside on the James. One couple that spent 25 years in Salisbury in Midlothian decided to take up digs in a riverfront condo downtown, and they couldn't be happier....

The corner apartment seems to hang over the James River, poised perfectly for views of Manchester

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, i'm also a resident at ROTJ but i've had a completely different experience than the one described. I've found most of the people I've run in to to be very polite and have had many doors held for me. Of course there have been a few people i'd describe as snooty but what luxury condo building doesn't have some of those? It seems the young professional crowd (which seem to make up about half of the residents) are always friendly. The rules that the building has, in my opinion, are reasonable and are what I would expect for the place. The walls are thin, I live next to a guy who plays techno early every morning but I haven't complained because I figure thats the nature of urban living. Besides, everyones got their own way of waking up. Also because I hope he'll grant me a little slack if I the tables were turned. I have spent the past few months mostly away so I have not had much experience with "the board" so I can't speak much about them. During the time i've been there, i've loved living there. I enjoy being a five minute walk from shockoe slip and taking a walk along the canal or the river. I enjoy the panoramic view of the city, especially during the holiday season. I occasionally play pool and watch tv or study in the clubroom. I can't say living there is perfect, but I'm definitely looking forward to returning in Aug for med school. Aside from my experience there I think the area has great potential, if these retail projects ever get going. Vistas and Toad's should be great additions, I think we just need to be patient. We are just in the baby stages of developing along the canal. I just wanted to give another perspective of ROTJ to anyone considering buying a place there.

Hey everyone, i'm also a resident at ROTJ but i've had a completely different experience than the one described. I've found most of the people I've run in to to be very polite and have had many doors held for me. Of course there have been a few people i'd describe as snooty but what luxury condo building doesn't have some of those? It seems the young professional crowd (which seem to make up about half of the residents) are always friendly. The rules that the building has, in my opinion, are reasonable and are what I would expect for the place. The walls are thin, I live next to a guy who plays techno early every morning but I haven't complained because I figure thats the nature of urban living. Besides, everyones got their own way of waking up. Also because I hope he'll grant me a little slack if I the tables were turned. I have spent the past few months mostly away so I have not had much experience with "the board" so I can't speak much about them. During the time i've been there, i've loved living there. I enjoy being a five minute walk from shockoe slip and taking a walk along the canal or the river. I enjoy the panoramic view of the city, especially during the holiday season. I occasionally play pool and watch tv or study in the clubroom. I can't say living there is perfect, but I'm definitely looking forward to returning in Aug for med school. Aside from my experience there I think the area has great potential, if these retail projects ever get going. Vistas and Toad's should be great additions, I think we just need to be patient. We are just in the baby stages of developing along the canal. I just wanted to give another perspective of ROTJ to anyone considering buying a place there.

Welcome to the forum Steve84 :D Its nice to see someone is enjoying living at ROTJ. Do you know of anything going on with the power plant?

The very unhappy hank on RCW, who is making a neat profit on resale when he leaves, says NOTHING is happening in the commercial spaces on the plaza level.

Steve, paper-thin, non-sound-proofed walls should be torn out and rebuilt. The only explanation for such shoddy construction is greedy, penny-pinching developers. And if anyone is thinking of buying at Vistas, Rocketts Landing, Riverlofts on Tobacco Row, West Broad Village or elsewhere I'd advise you to ask a lot of questions about noise pollution from adjoining units.

Thanks for the welcomes, burt, I didn't necessarily mean the walls are paper thin. The techno music next door is not listened to at a regular listening level but closer to blasting. It's not like I can hear conversations or anything unless they are very loud. I'm pretty happy with the construction.

Thanks for the welcomes, burt, I didn't necessarily mean the walls are paper thin. The techno music next door is not listened to at a regular listening level but closer to blasting. It's not like I can hear conversations or anything unless they are very loud. I'm pretty happy with the construction.

Steve84, I'm relieved to learn that the noise-level problem isn't so much of a problem for you. I don't even know what techno music is, but it sounds like it could be electrified, amplified, synthesizer crap that would drive me up the walls! :lol:

Wonder how your neighbor would react to a polite note requesting that he lower the volume level?

And Steve, have you heard any rumors about progress at the Power Plant and the proposed McFadden's Pub location in the office building?

Burt,

Any chance I've gotten I've asked people who I thought might know something about the powerplant and mcfaddens but no one could offer any rumors or speculation. I'm just happy with the announcement about CB5 and Mcfadden's and am trying to be patient. I have not seen any construction going on but I did notice some kind of detour entrance into the business building. It could be nothing.

Hey Steve.... you live in Riverside? The company that owns the complex, Dominion Realty Partners, has offices in the office tower. Perhaps you could stop by when you have time to inquire about the retail portion of the project that is definitely lagging. ;)

Hey Steve.... you live in Riverside? The company that owns the complex, Dominion Realty Partners, has offices in the office tower. Perhaps you could stop by when you have time to inquire about the retail portion of the project that is definitely lagging. ;)

I'm actually currently in Northern Virginia but i'm planning on going down this weekend until Tuesday. I'll check in with them then.

Archived