Riverside on the James

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very surprised that Mr. Wilder has not let ROTJ know of his and the city's displeasure over lack of retail/entertainment at the property. Were not proffers offered by Cordage or whatever is the developer's name?

And I still find it difficult to accept that some sort of retail will not occupy the ground level of Vistas. What a wonderful, scenic spot for dining/drinking on the Canal basin facing the skyline! Are they nuts? :(

• 2 weeks later...

Word is that Headliners Entertainment Group, Inc. has a letter of agreement to open a "high-end lounge and dance experience" in the Power Plant at ROTJ. Work, supposedly, will get underway soon with an opening hoped for by end of year.

Rascals, a comedy-club operation, is also an extension of Headliners. Whether or not it will be part of the 13,000 s/f Power Plant upgrade is unknown.

Check out: http://marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=139559

Word is that Headliners Entertainment Group, Inc. has a letter of agreement to open a "high-end lounge and dance experience" in the Power Plant at ROTJ. Work, supposedly, will get underway soon with an opening hoped for by end of year.

Rascals, a comedy-club operation, is also an extension of Headliners. Whether or not it will be part of the 13,000 s/f Power Plant upgrade is unknown.

Check out: http://marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=139559

Whoa! Burt! :w00t: You created at link!!! Yahoo!!!! :yahoo:

do you think this is in addition to the previous announcements?

Do you mean the CV5 (or whatever it was called)?

No. IMO, this is a totally new proposal and that the other super restaurant group (C5) is dead.

And who knows about McFaddens?

• 3 weeks later...

work on tenant upfit for the new retail tenants should begin in August.

Also, CB5's idea and McFadden's are still planned.

Well, that's some good news, Coupe.

Now if all those riverfront people would REALLY work on connecting the canals via a boatlift over the flood wall, Richmond would have a major tourist "ride" that would bring massive business to the area.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it's unlikely that the two canals will be connected... reason? It's financially unfeasible to do so :( Also, between ROTJ and Vistas, the height limit on new development will probably be 6-stories.

If they would consider the financial benefits to the entire region by a unique canal connection, conservative Richmonders would reconsider, IMHO.

Does anyone say a boat lift or lock connection is physically impossible?

When Alcoa vacates, I believe the plan is for low-rise townhouses lining both sides of the existing Kanawa canal from west of Toad's Place to the locks underneath and beyond the Alcoa building. This plan could co-exist with another canal veering left past Toad's to a basin in the current Alcoa parking lot from whence canal boats could be lifted over the floodwall, or to the level of the cut in the flood wall, then thru it to an extended Haxall in front of the Power Plant.

If they would consider the financial benefits to the entire region by a unique canal connection, conservative Richmonders would reconsider, IMHO.

Does anyone say a boat lift or lock connection is physically impossible?

When Alcoa vacates, I believe the plan is for low-rise townhouses lining both sides of the existing Kanawa canal from west of Toad's Place to the locks underneath and beyond the Alcoa building. This plan could co-exist with another canal veering left past Toad's to a basin in the current Alcoa parking lot from whence canal boats could be lifted over the floodwall, or to the level of the cut in the flood wall, then thru it to an extended Haxall in front of the Power Plant.

I know those townhouses were in the vision of the canal walk, but I don't know if they will actually happen. The land Alcoa sits upon, just west to 10th street is worth like $5 million dollars... and that's just the assessed value. I'm not sure simply townhouses could recover the cost of land acquisition. The only way a connection of the canals is possible is if someone is feeling mighty generous. Maybe it could be a parting gift from Alcoa?

I think the plan along the canal walk is eventually for Virginia Street to loop back over to 10th St, cutting through the flood wall...

You mean 12th St? And Byrd St connected Virginia and 12th and it is what's left of that end of Byrd does go through the floodwall. It was gobbled up by that parking lot and loading area for Alcoa. Some maps still have it doing that.

Why don't we start a fund for the canals? They're a national landmark and should be treated as such.

Coupe, the townhouses would only extend, roughly, between Toad's and 12th Street. The rest of Alcoa's property west of 12th to 10th street would be the revenue producing section that could support the low-rise residential. Besides, as you say, a 6-story limit would be imposed, so maybe the townhouses would really be low-rise apartments/condos. High rise would be allowed close to 10th street.

• 3 months later...

I suspect that the reasoning is twofold.

1) Henrico Fire Department... at the time that the restrictions were put into place Henrico probably had an all volunteer Fire Dept (maybe it still does?). Lifting the height restrictions would mean serious upgrades for the fire dept (they would have to buy ladder trucks for example).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived