The Plaza

Tim3167

went to eat Bento Sushi Cafe yesterday and all the power was on ;) great food at great prices, things are really starting to pick up at the plaza

corona cigar is coming along nicely...i love how the inside looks like the outside of its dr phillips location

No, it's a lot nicer than the outside of the DP location--- it looks more like the inside of the Mexico pavillion at Epcot. Hopefully this Corona won't have the same pretentious DBs hanging around outside as DP has.

Lets just be realistic about this. Who in their right mind would shut off the life safety systems to a three tower complex?

That loan: paid, early

What you guys are seeing are typical problems that take place when a mixed use development is handed over after construction.

Anyone reading this: don't let some of our more long-winded posters sway your opinion. Typically, the longer the post, the more bullcrap your reading.

Edit: for the record I didn't write bullcrap

Edited by orlandonative

What you guys are seeing are typical problems that take place when a mixed use development is handed over after construction.

Maybe for you and whatever outfit you work for, but I have been deeply involved in many projects much larger than this one that have had far fewer, and in a couple of cases no significant problems at all.

Then again I have never worked with a developer who used his home for collateral and then subsequently lost it.

Eh, what's that old computer term - GIGO. ;)

Cheers.

Lets just be realistic about this. Who in their right mind would shut off the life safety systems to a three tower complex?

I agree. However, this attitude, (nothing against you, others have displayed also), baffles me. The power co. won't cut off the power on people up north during the winter, either. Does that mean they shouldn't pay? I almost asked this before, but do you think it is acceptable for customers of any company to not pay legitimate bills? I don't see how there can be any argument about the bill and its amount, so the question is, why hasn't it been paid?

There's no such thing as a free lunch.....

Maybe for you and whatever outfit you work for, but I have been deeply involved in many projects much larger than this one that have had far fewer, and in a couple of cases no significant problems at all.

Then again I have never worked with a developer who used his home for collateral and then subsequently lost it.

Eh, what's that old computer term - GIGO. ;)

Cheers.

In an honest bit of curiosity what large mixuse projects were you involved in and what was your role?

Not digging for anything here... just genuinely curious.

Edited by RedStar25

No, it's a lot nicer than the outside of the DP location--- it looks more like the inside of the Mexico pavillion at Epcot. Hopefully this Corona won't have the same pretentious DBs hanging around outside as DP has.

hah yea your prob right :P

i never cared about the ppl that hung out at the corona at the dp location...our group would sometimes show up kinda scrubby in tshirts n jeans and they would give us the look like who are these hoodlums...but the staff doesnt think twice about us..always friendly service, they dont care what we look like, they always take our money hahahha

Again you keep going back to this point about perhaps the city should have learned this or they should have learned that, learned what?

They got their money, the buildings are built, development took a shot to the arm, what else do you want?

No disrespect, but listing some random a$$ projects of that size and than saying that you have never seen problems like this(?) is b.s., sorry I have to call you on it. If that is true than one of three things has happend here, either they never let you stop pushing CADD drawings, you never went into the field, or your lying, pick one.

Edited by orlandonative

Again you keep going back to this point about perhaps the city should have learned this or they should have learned that, learned what?

I don't keep going on about anything.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. It can't help it if it rubs you the wrong way because of your personal involvement in this project.

No disrespect, but listing some random a$$ projects of that size and than saying that you have never seen problems like this(?) is b.s., sorry I have to call you on it. If that is true than one of three things has happend here, either they never let you stop pushing CADD drawings, you never went into the field, or your lying, pick one.

First, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I never said that "I have never seen problems like these". In fact I wrote that individually I have before seen all of these problems and more, just not all on the same job and at the same time.

As for your comment about CAD, [1] I stopped doing CAD years ago and [2] you must still be stinging from taking that hit from another poster who suggested that you just ran the diazo machine in some office

Edited by Camillo Sitte

it's neither here nor there, but, if I remember correctly, there were buku problems with the State of Illinois Bldg. when it was being built in Chitown in the mid-eighties. and that's in a city where you would think they would've had it down to a science by that time.

Just FYI, the problems with Jahn's SOI building were not financial but rather involved the glazing. Workers inside the building complained that there was too much glare to properly read their computer screens [which were a somewhat new technology in the worklace at that time] and this also caused [iIRC] some unplanned for heat gain, thus straining the HVAC systems. Also workers in a couple of buildings across the street complained that reflections from the SOI building were negatively affecting them.

Also, that building spurred within the architectural academe a debate about 'context and appropriateness'.

It did have [still has] a great food court though and made a great location for the climactic scene in Running Scared :thumbsup:

Edited by Camillo Sitte

No offense, but it does not seem feasable that one person is an expert on construction, construction financing, banking, airlines, airports, municiple governments and government funding. Hi, my name is Elmer Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht .

Who claimed to be "an expert" on all of those subjects? I sure as hell didn't.

So I come from an affluent background and from the time I was young we flew a lot, into and out of a lot of different airports around the world. As a child this interested me greatly and was part of why I became an Architect. My undergrad thesis project was also an airport so I spent nearly a year researching them, still I never claimed to be an

Edited by Camillo Sitte

I've got no disrespect for anyone here or their experiences. as for me, I've got plenty myself as well as education. but just to clear something up from before... if I ever pose a question in the future that's sincere and I get uneccessary 'tude in response (whether it be about airport hubs or anything else), then we're going to have a problem. we've all got different personalities and egos; I think we should all make a conscious effort to be mindful of them and be respectful.

I'll admit I personally don't take kindly to criticisms of PTP b/c I have a financial stake in the project as well as many other businessmen and women that I know personally. bad press is bad business and bad for business and bad for investment return. I think people need to understand and respect that. and having a stake in that project means you also have a stake in downtown as well.

there's nothing wrong with seeing the glass as "half full"; it doesn't always have to be "half empty;" and it doesn't mean you're a cheerleader either. I believe in downtown and O-town. piece.

BTW... Corona is very close to opening... a few more days... and it looks AWESOME!