The Plaza

Tim3167

the theatre will happen. commuter rail will happen.

just b/c the opposing team broke loose for an 80 yard run doesn't mean the game's over- rail-wise, that is.

last night, Urban Flats was packed. the Plaza courtyard was full of hundreds of people for that Wed. nite thing they do. Corona is also always full. People always come DT to the Plaza now at night. It is hopping. RP just needs to reassess what they are going to do and when. that's why AMC pulled out b/c of the delay... doesn't mean that it's final for good. I've done a walk-thru on the cinema and it was close to done months ago.

if they serve alcohol at the cinema, now that could be a big hit-- a stadium seating cinema and draft house... with food...

the theatre will happen. commuter rail will happen.

just b/c the opposing team broke loose for an 80 yard run doesn't mean the game's over- rail-wise, that is.

last night, Urban Flats was packed. the Plaza courtyard was full of hundreds of people for that Wed. nite thing they do. Corona is also always full. People always come DT to the Plaza now at night. It is hopping. RP just needs to reassess what they are going to do and when. that's why AMC pulled out b/c of the delay... doesn't mean that it's final for good. I've done a walk-thru on the cinema and it was close to done months ago.

if they serve alcohol at the cinema, now that could be a big hit-- a stadium seating cinema and draft house... with food...

I don't think this is just a downtown O-town thing. Unfortunately, we missed the crest of the wave of theater building before saturation and consolidation in the industry, and now a recession surely doesn't help. I suspect St. Pete was lucky to get theirs done when they did. BTW, there was a story in the Palm Beach Post last week that the Columbia Restaurant in downtown WPB's CityPlace is closing, and Legal Sea Foods may not be far behind due to issues there. So we're not alone, but this too shall pass.

With what money? I just don't think any is avail to pay for stuff like this.

This community has raised over $80 million in donations for the PAC--I think people underestimate the philanthropy that exists in this region. Let's say for instance, this new "community" theater is worked into the PAC vision. I've always thought an "Enzian Downtown" would do well as it is much easier to reach than Maitland, especially for those on the South side of town.

With what money? I just don't think any is avail to pay for stuff like this.

That's because we chose to replace a 20-year old arena built to NBA specifications and with the profits going to a billionaire instead of focusing on the arts, even though a new PAC was supposed to be next in line (which has had to make do with an 80 year old building designed mostly for high school graduations) and we're now praying that everything will work out OK. My point is not to dis the arena project, that train has left the station. My point is to note the City always seems to find ways to do things it makes a priority (just like how the Citrus Bowl folks originally only wanted $50 million for renovations; that amount all of a sudden more than tripled when it appeared the gravy train had arrived).

Another point to note is that most corporations award in contributions only a fraction each year of the amount they could deduct from taxes. Where vision exists, things happen. Where it does not, mediocrity thrives.

That's because we chose to replace a 20-year old arena built to NBA specifications and with the profits going to a billionaire instead of focusing on the arts, even though a new PAC was supposed to be next in line (which has had to make do with an 80 year old building designed mostly for high school graduations) and we're now praying that everything will work out OK. My point is not to dis the arena project, that train has left the station. My point is to note the City always seems to find ways to do things it makes a priority (just like how the Citrus Bowl folks originally only wanted $50 million for renovations; that amount all of a sudden more than tripled when it appeared the gravy train had arrived).

Another point to note is that most corporations award in contributions only a fraction each year of the amount they could deduct from taxes. Where vision exists, things happen. Where it does not, mediocrity thrives.

And today, sad to say, I'm beginning to believe that Orlando and indeed, all of Florida, is the nexus of mediocrity. I never thought I'd find myself second guessing my decision to move here from rural North Carolina. At least I could move back to Charlotte or Raleigh and be on the cusp of some great things happening!

AND I miss Bojangle's! :D

I understand, my point is if the city starts completing privately owned and built complexes (outside of tax breaks and other funding they've provided) it's just going to open a can of worms.

Once the market rebounds someone will use that space or complete it, just a matter of waiting.

Your likely going to see the PAC start well before the Citrus Bowl.

I understand, my point is if the city starts completing privately owned and built complexes (outside of tax breaks and other funding they've provided) it's just going to open a can of worms.

Once the market rebounds someone will use that space or complete it, just a matter of waiting.

And a thriving arts district downtown will attract more people to the core than another block of restaurants or for that matter a movie theatre (movie theaters, as we know, are ubiquitous in the suburbs).

Your likely going to see the PAC start well before the Citrus Bowl.

It would be completely legal to either purchase the space where the theaters are and/or to lease the space and provide it to community organizations (they have already done that with SAK over at the Arena parking garage, just as an example). Cities subsidize sports all the time, why should they not subsidize the arts?

As to the Citrus Bowl: Yes, but only because a county commissioner stepped up to the plate and insisted the PAC go first. Again, the vision of someone outside City Hall.

By 2010 when the rail is supposed to be on line, the price for a regular gallon of gas will probably be around $5.

The price of premium here in South Beach has already hit $4.23/gallon so I wouldn't be surprised to see $5 by the end of the year.

Let's see. No movie theatre. No commuter rail. Now all we need for the trifecta is Publix to pull out due to market conditions.

I still think it is highly unlikely for Publix to opt out, but that's just an opinion. Even with low occupancy rates in the condos, the Publix can still draw a lot of local shopping. As long as parking isn't a nightmare, they should be able to attract customers from a decent radius.

But yep, overall this isn't shaping up to be the greatest week for Orlando. Let's hope there's a breakthrough on the commuter rail front.

I still think it is highly unlikely for Publix to opt out, but that's just an opinion. Even with low occupancy rates in the condos, the Publix can still draw a lot of local shopping. As long as parking isn't a nightmare, they should be able to attract customers from a decent radius.

But yep, overall this isn't shaping up to be the greatest week for Orlando. Let's hope there's a breakthrough on the commuter rail front.

Publix definitely seems to be a go - the tile has been placed on the walls where I think the shopping carts will go (at least it looks like the tile in that area of the Colonialtown Publix) and there appears to have been some background paint on some of the drywall. I also was talking with the Colonial Plaza WaMu branch manager a couple of weeks back, and it was indicated the new WaMu is definitely a go. So, we're making progress in fits and starts. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I guess Orlando won't be either.

The price of premium here in South Beach has already hit $4.23/gallon so I wouldn't be surprised to see $5 by the end of the year.

When I say regular gas, I mean regular (87 octane) and the price of gas is peaking for the summer travel. It will come back down. The price trough will probably be $5/gallon by 2010.

Also, gas in South Beach is always expensive... especially that gas station across from the 2 story BK. They take mortgage payments for fillups. Orlando's prices are a little lower. Compare the price of gas in South Beach (tourist mecca) with the price of gas on Disney property (tourist mecca).

Cold Stone is set for grand opening on Monday (May 5th).

And perfect timing, I'm sure they're thrilled with the latest movie theater news. So any chance of another operator stepping in (are there even any left? i feel like we've been thru so many!)

Cold Stone is set for grand opening on Monday (May 5th).

And perfect timing, I'm sure they're thrilled with the latest movie theater news. So any chance of another operator stepping in (are there even any left? i feel like we've been thru so many!)

A pipe dream on my part, but it'd be fantastic to see the Enzian work their way in. I doubt this is anywhere near economically feasible, but I can dream :)

Edited by fenderbender

A pipe dream on my part, but it'd be fantastic to see the Enzian work their way in. I doubt this is anywhere near economically feasible, but I can dream :)

that would be great - Enzian is a non-profit, so we just need some deep pockets from Tiger Woods or someone to make it happen. :rolleyes:

Also consider that 12 screens is a little overkill if Enzian would take over. 4-6 Screens would be max and then you would have to figure out what to do with the rest of the space. Within the next year some big movie operator will fill this spot. Just be patient.

Also consider that 12 screens is a little overkill if Enzian would take over. 4-6 Screens would be max and then you would have to figure out what to do with the rest of the space. Within the next year some big movie operator will fill this spot. Just be patient.

Indeed. The Enzian reference is in jest. It may take a few years, but a theater will move in there once the condo occupancy rates increase.

count your blessings, premium in LA has hit $4.85. i know its all relevant.

12 screen independent film theaters are not uncommon. Two exist in the Boston metro: Kendall Landmark Theater and the Somerville Theater, which holds a greater and growing International Film Festival each year. I just attended last weekend and believe me, between the sponsors and the ticket holders, it pays for itself.

12 screen independent film theaters are not uncommon. Two exist in the Boston metro: Kendall Landmark Theater and the Somerville Theater, which holds a greater and growing International Film Festival each year. I just attended last weekend and believe me, between the sponsors and the ticket holders, it pays for itself.

Keyword BOSTON. I am sure NYC or LA or Chicago or any other huge city has at least one but dont forget where this is. I am sure these cities wouldn't have a problem opening an Amc theater like we are.

Publix definitely seems to be a go - the tile has been placed on the walls where I think the shopping carts will go (at least it looks like the tile in that area of the Colonialtown Publix) and there appears to have been some background paint on some of the drywall. I also was talking with the Colonial Plaza WaMu branch manager a couple of weeks back, and it was indicated the new WaMu is definitely a go. So, we're making progress in fits and starts. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I guess Orlando won't be either.

Publix is definitely a go. My brother-in-law is a driver for them and the store is on a board with an assigned store number. He'll be the one delivering to that cramped delivery bay. The poor guy also has the Baldwin Park one and if you ever have been on that side of the store when the delivery truck is there, you know that is no piece of cake either!