The Plaza

Tim3167

It would make sense that the movie theater is not dead..I mean what else are you going to do with a movie theater space with high ceilings and sloped floors for stadium seating? Maybe it will be less theaters, smaller operator, independent movies, etc. I really think a theater can succeed here.

On another note, I drove past the Plaza last night around 10pm and the place was slammed. Both Corona Cigar Bar and Urban Flats were packed with artists and other types selling their wares in the open area. This place has a ton of foot traffic and is slowly becoming a great success.

It would make sense that the movie theater is not dead..I mean what else are you going to do with a movie theater space with high ceilings and sloped floors for stadium seating? Maybe it will be less theaters, smaller operator, independent movies, etc. I really think a theater can succeed here.

On another note, I drove past the Plaza last night around 10pm and the place was slammed. Both Corona Cigar Bar and Urban Flats were packed with artists and other types selling their wares in the open area. This place has a ton of foot traffic and is slowly becoming a great success.

Slowly? I was telling a coworker of mine that since Bento opened, the place has been one domino after another of open restaurants and the place is slammed for lunch or dinner. It seems like the Plaza has come to life overnight.

At this point the City should foot the bill to complete the theater complex and turn it over to community organizations who can use the space for indie flicks and black box productions.

Are you kidding me? If the market can not support it what makes you think it would do any better being propped up with tax dollars. It would be a failure. We just need to be patient and in time we will have our movie theater.

Are you kidding me? If the market can not support it what makes you think it would do any better being propped up with tax dollars. It would be a failure. We just need to be patient and in time we will have our movie theater.

1) I'm not convinced the downtown market is too weak to support a movie theater.

2) I wouldn't mind my tax dollars spent promoting a more cultured citizenry.

Slowly? I was telling a coworker of mine that since Bento opened, the place has been one domino after another of open restaurants and the place is slammed for lunch or dinner. It seems like the Plaza has come to life overnight.

Wait until 2 weeks from now when the Florida Music Festival hits downtown. Hundreds of musicians will be in downtown walking around day and night.

1) I'm not convinced the downtown market is too weak to support a movie theater.

2) I wouldn't mind my tax dollars spent promoting a more cultured citizenry.

If the theater targets adults only (which fortunately the mall rats should be staying away), I think a lot of movie goers from the burbs would be attracted to a civilized, quiet viewing. Management has to be committed to hold a hardline on disruptions. I would guarantee buying at least 2 tickets a week. Also they could get with the downtown restaurants and do a movie package deal like Universal does.

cold stone had a healthy crowd today around 2pm.

yesterday, during the fire alarm, they gave out free samples.

I think they're going to make it-- even the Salon Elyse is doing well it seems.

it's good to see, b/c RP will see this and guage their plans for the cinema, I'm sure, based on how much of a "magnet" the Plaza as a whole is at attracting people.

last Wednesday night, Urban Flats did the wine thing. the server today told me there were over 300 patrons there last week. they cut it off at $20 for the first 100, and everyone over that pays as they go. It's a big hit, shockingly so.

Every other night of the week, Corona seems to have a larger outdoor crowd; but then on Wednesday's... watch out from UF.

Happy to hear that the Plaza has slowly picked up the pace.

think about it, though, Urban Flats and Bento are gangbusters during lunch... lines going out the door.

Cool Blue Burrito also attracts a decent lunch crowd. Volcanos sees action during morning hours and lunch. and now Cold Stone is joining the fray.

But Bento and the Flats are always busy--- from the get-go.

and in late afternoon and evening, Corona and the Flats are both packed with patrons, and Bento sees action as well.

Plaza is doing better than people realize... you gotta be here during the day and early evening to see what I'm talking about. there's always people down in the plaza of the plaza.

think about it, though, Urban Flats and Bento are gangbusters during lunch... lines going out the door.

Cool Blue Burrito also attracts a decent lunch crowd. Volcanos sees action during morning hours and lunch. and now Cold Stone is joining the fray.

But Bento and the Flats are always busy--- from the get-go.

and in late afternoon and evening, Corona and the Flats are both packed with patrons, and Bento sees action as well.

Plaza is doing better than people realize... you gotta be here during the day and early evening to see what I'm talking about. there's always people down in the plaza of the plaza.

It would be fun if you could take some pictures around the Plaza showcasing the new establishments (for those of us non-locals).

I went down the street to check the Cold Stone. Nothing out of the ordinary. I did want to get an ice cream and then a coffee from Volcano's, but they had been closed for an hour. I think it was around 9pm. It really is hard to get a coffee after regular business hours in downtown. I guess I will be the lone worker at night downtown forever wanting a coffee. Well, at least I was able to get coffee ice cream. I wonder if that's caffeinated???

there are signs that they are leasing retail space on level 2. yet, as late as this past weekend, I also heard that the cinema is in fact going forward. not sure what's up. perhaps a slight alteration of the space on level 2 as it stands. personally, I think they may be downsizing the cinema and leasing out the extra space to make it a theatre plus restaurants. 12 screens... Celebration has 2. how many big movies can be out at once anyway? 4? I say make is a 6 screen cinema and lease out 2-3 spaces.

there are signs that they are leasing retail space on level 2. yet, as late as this past weekend, I also heard that the cinema is in fact going forward. not sure what's up. perhaps a slight alteration of the space on level 2 as it stands. personally, I think they may be downsizing the cinema and leasing out the extra space to make it a theatre plus restaurants. 12 screens... Celebration has 2. how many big movies can be out at once anyway? 4? I say make is a 6 screen cinema and lease out 2-3 spaces.

So kracker had this right?

"Also consider that 12 screens is a little overkill if Enzian would take over. 4-6 Screens would be max and then you would have to figure out what to do with the rest of the space. Within the next year some big movie operator will fill this spot. Just be patient."

You also have to consider that all major theaters are now trying to sell their space as business meeting space. It is great for making presentations. Decent amount of seating for keynotes. I forget the name of the company, but there are also live concert and event broadcasts being done in theaters.

You also have to consider that all major theaters are now trying to sell their space as business meeting space. It is great for making presentations. Decent amount of seating for keynotes. I forget the name of the company, but there are also live concert and event broadcasts being done in theaters.

I read last week that Cafe Tu Tu Tango in CocoWalk (one of the prototypes for entertainment centers here in FL in Coconut Grove) is closing (the link was from FL Trend but I believe the article was in the Miami Herald) was closing. The piece also noted that AMC was pulling out of the complex in favor of MuviCo, which supposedly was closing for extensive renovations including a full bar.

Perhaps AMC has just decided to stick with more mainstream, suburban outlets. In any event, I continue to read that NATO and its members are still trying to figure out how to remain viable in light of all the technology changes. bulldogger notes some ways how they're doing that by doing meetings and offering concerts (including the Metropolitan Opera, I believe) and also things like boxing.

All of these things suggest a number of possibilities someone may be looking at.