The Plaza

Tim3167

North Tower is close to topping off. South Tower has the 4-5 or so floors remaining. One of the foremen told me last week that the current level, the penthouse, is the final level for North Tower.

The renderings on the billboard and website are not the final renderings for North and South tower. Those renderings are the first ones, where North and South Towers are much shorter.

Don't be fooled, even in Chicago, major bldgs. like JHC, Marina City, and former Mid-Continental Plaza, to name a couple, have above-ground parking incorporated into the structure. Bertrand Goldberg's prized twin masterpieces even have 20 stories of parking- each.

Parking decks at the Plaza, at least in the office towers will not be discernable to even the detailed observer. They are covering each level with the precast molds, each with windows, so that you won't be able to tell what's what when its done.

Talked to Amy Young again and got a definite answers on some of the restaurants going into the Plaza. Not fine dining like many of us expected, but some interesting choices to say the least.

1. Urban Flats

2. PJ's Coffee and Wine Bar

3. Cold Stone Creamery

4. YUM YUM Asian Cafe

5. Salsarita

She also said there was a Mercantile Bank Branch and a Hair Salon.

I check the website (not sure of the last update), but there seems to be 4-5 retail areas available.

Also there was an article in the paper last week that stated Kuhn has sold two buildings @ 215 E. Central. When I find that section of the paper I will post more info.

Win or Loose I'm Still a Magic Fan!!!!!!

Talk about misdirected anger, no matter how much you want to deny it, every time you're at the Bob Carr, you can't help but yearn for a seat at the Waterhouse for a much needed testosterone boost.

Sack up BIG D!!!!! You know you're a MAGIC FAN

Edited by jcast

Talked to Amy Young again and got a definite answers on some of the restaurants going into the Plaza. Not fine dining like many of us expected, but some interesting choices to say the least.

1. Urban Flats

2. PJ's Coffee and Wine Bar

3. Cold Stone Creamery

4. YUM YUM Asian Cafe

5. Salsarita

She also said there was a Mercantile Bank Branch and a Hair Salon.

So much grand vision on the start of the project and end up with stores like those, I am disappointed. Might as well add in a 99 cents tshirt store.

I actually think the stores are going to be a perfect fit for not only the location but also the projected demographic. There are a lot of really good restaurants in and around the CBD and into Eola/Thornton Park. I agree that some retail would have been nice but I dont think the impact of one or two shops would be that great.

I like this mix. I think it will work well. I think you're overreacting, sunshine - it's not like these establishments are slum-city type places. Sure, they're not super upscale, but that would've be a mistake. Theses choices should draw a nice range of patrons and allow the businesses to solidify their presence downtown.

And Urban Flats and PJ's Coffe and Wine are both fairly trendy places, so you're not completely shut out :)

Might be perfect fit for people that are familiar to downtown, but I doutb someone would drive to downtown because of Yum Yum Cafe.

I think that's the whole point of their line-up of stores and restaurants - they're bringing in stuff for downtown residents. Seems like a smart business plan to me.

And I know that a lot of the more upscale posters on this board will loathe this concept, but I really think downtown would benefit from a few fast food restaurants, too. There are none right now. When you think about it, it's kind of weird.

I think that's the whole point of their line-up of stores and restaurants - they're bringing in stuff for downtown residents. Seems like a smart business plan to me.

And I know that a lot of the more upscale posters on this board will loathe this concept, but I really think downtown would benefit from a few fast food restaurants, too. There are none right now. When you think about it, it's kind of weird.

Well, there's a Subway. And a Quiznos...oh wait.

I know it's all rather pedestrian, but many urban cores have all the low-brow trappings of every other part of town, including fast food restaurants, chain drug stores, etc. And as much as I hate to admit it, if I lived downtown, I'd want a Wendy's close by in case I get a craving for a triple and a frosty around midnight.

Mmm...triple with a frosty.

those restaurants are cool, but I dont think they should be in this location and this building. It should be spread around some empty store front nearby. This project are said to change downtown, it should have some stores that will drive people downtown. ie, B&N, Crate....

btw, do I still have the rooftop restaurant?

I can live with it. I honestly was first dissapointed with the list of restaurants, i still wish there was at least one upscale restaurant. But it is true that having Urban Flats and the others are needed and as someone said, they are on the trendier side. Though I'll be skipping the Cold Stone and stick with Gelatone over in Thorton Park. But, going to a Hue or Kres type of restaurant always does get old, takes a good time commitment, and of course not to mention costly! But, if the plaza restaurants builds traffic, and people come, it should be good in any case. Actually, I just want to be able to walk to the movies. :D

BTW, a bit off topic, but does anyone have info on what's replacing the short-lived Rocco's restaurant in Thorton Park?

BTW, a bit off topic, but does anyone have info on what's replacing the short-lived Rocco's restaurant in Thorton Park?

Is that place ALREADY closed? It did suck pretty bad -- I give any new place three tries... This place failed miserably each time. Let's hope we get a darned seafood place to replace it -- we have new american/sushi/bbq/itallian and a great deli in TP. Now we need seafood, thai, chineese and upscale mexican. I'll be a happy (and quite fat) guy if this were to happen...

Back on topic, i think the restaurants in the Plaza are actually pretty good - suits the grab and bite, drink and a movie concept pretty well, if you ask me...

I am pretty sure we'll see more upscale places come as more and more of these $500k condos come online...