The Plaza

Tim3167

I don't know who's action this is (bic or UPSDAN) but the 2D on the skyscraper site needs updating to show the condo on palmetto near ridgely, the Dolive, and the 3 buildings of the new Lutheren Towers design. Thanks bic and UPSDAN for all you do.

Edited by cwetteland

Nah, I actually have those three modeled already in Google Earth along with the new adjusted height of Dynetech but just haven't touched the 2-D map in a while. Is there anything else besides those three?

Can't think of anything unless you want to but "The Dome" ... just kidding. And you know I've pitched for "main & main" but we've had that conversation. So ... I can see anything else.

Yes, there was a small fire noticeable from 2 blocks away that was in some wood boards on the top of the Solaire on the north end of the building. In fact thare were embers raining down onto the roof of the Pine Street Bar & Grille building. OFD arrived and quickly extinguished the fire which i believe was contained to a small area up on the roof (the current floor deck) which on the fire radio traffic was reporting the 23rd floor. I dont believe there was extensive damage and do not feel this will delay things too much. The firefighters got up there quick and did a good job but had to work safely. A building under construction (especially a high rise) is one of the most dangerous fires you can encounter as the building does not have all the adequate fire & safety measures like it will have when completed i.e. fire sprinklers, standpipes, working elevators, lighting, exits and so on. The crane had the roof area lit up with those huge flood lights on the boom. But all the floors going up to the top have small 75 watt lightbulbs. I have told alot of the firefighters about this site and OS due to the many projects going up. Hope that wasn't too long winded. :thumbsup:

Edited by firemick

Now that i'm finally in town I've been able to check out all the u/c developments and I'm pleasantly surprised with the impact the Plaza is making on the skyline. It isn't going to be a signature tower, but its great infill, especially when viewed on I-4 from the South traveling North. It really fills in a gap, one that I didn't even know existed beforehand. Nice! Likewise, the Thornton Park skyline gets more exciting by the month traveling along the 408. :)

Now that i'm finally in town I've been able to check out all the u/c developments and I'm pleasantly surprised with the impact the Plaza is making on the skyline. It isn't going to be a signature tower, but its great infill, especially when viewed on I-4 from the South traveling North. It really fills in a gap, one that I didn't even know existed beforehand. Nice! Likewise, the Thornton Park skyline gets more exciting by the month traveling along the 408. :)

Yeah, from Lake Eola the project is a huge...particularly the Solaire. I love the density that is getting built up around the Suntrust building...now if 55 West gets rolling it will be awesome

I haven't driven north on I-4 in some time. I imagine it will become extremely dense once 55west gets above 4 floors. Solaire gets an A+ going west on 408, definetly adds some critical mass to the Suntrust cluster. Can't wait until Vue starts to claim its spot along with Dynetech (getting very close). It will definetly fill in that huge gap we've always had.

something needs to replace the bus station and the empty lot the formerly housed quizno

I see the old Lynx Bus Station site being redeveloped at 78 W. Central Blvd. Its only a matter of time now for that, however the old Quiznos site NW corner of Pine and Orange..........well thats going to be interesting. Its too expensive of property to build small and too small of property to build big. That is a major eyesore though. I wish that old building did not burn down, because that will be an empty lot for a long long time. :sick:

Edited by firemick

I haven't driven north on I-4 in some time. I imagine it will become extremely dense once 55west gets above 4 floors. Solaire gets an A+ going west on 408, definetly adds some critical mass to the Suntrust cluster. Can't wait until Vue starts to claim its spot along with Dynetech (getting very close). It will definetly fill in that huge gap we've always had.

I-4 coming north from Kaley-- yeah, 55W will impact it greatly.

408 Westbound--Yes, Solaire really looks good-- even as far back as the Lake Underhill toll booth area-- very visible from that distance-- and the widening of 408 is aiding that as well.

I-4 westbound from Princeton gives a good view of Plaza's northern face and the density behind OC Cthse. Star's crane isplain as day; 801 is very visible as well. if 801 gets rooftop lighting, it will look very nice from I-4.

I-4 coming north from Kaley-- yeah, 55W will impact it greatly.

408 Westbound--Yes, Solaire really looks good-- even as far back as the Lake Underhill toll booth area-- very visible from that distance-- and the widening of 408 is aiding that as well.

I-4 westbound from Princeton gives a good view of Plaza's northern face and the density behind OC Cthse. Star's crane isplain as day; 801 is very visible as well. if 801 gets rooftop lighting, it will look very nice from I-4.

Solaire barely snuck in on that westbound view from I-4. That will be another awesome view of the Vue.

Not to get this thread further off track (though who really cares?) but I also love the impact of Winnie Palmer Hospital coming downtown from the South. Right beyond the OBT exit, its smack in the center. Looks great!

You're right. great observation.

Solaire-- yeah, it sneaks to the left of the Cthse coming west on I-4-- but if it was 5-10 stories taller, it would be alot more noticeable.

Plaza overall is really looking good from Orange-- very impressive design. even the north wall of the North tower is shaping up nicely with the all glass top floor which really breaks the continuity up of the precast walls.