The Plaza

Tim3167

Beautiful pictures. I love the energy and buzz you feel when walking around this building. Its a positive sign of things to come. As a whole, its pretty bulky and mediocre, but that Orange Ave facade is great.

I'm also getting the sensation of mediocrity--- however when it is all finished externally, I'm sure my feelings will change. Let's hope for the jumotron on the Orange & Pine corner as well as a bad ass lighting package. Especially depending on how the restaurant/ retail will interact with the windows.

I'm also getting the sensation of mediocrity--- however when it is all finished externally, I'm sure my feelings will change. Let's hope for the jumotron on the Orange & Pine corner as well as a bad ass lighting package. Especially depending on how the restaurant/ retail will interact with the windows.

THey haven't gotten the permit for the jumbotron yet (don't know if they've applied for it, though).

I guar-On-tee you that when the visors are done, they will be lit up like the Statue of Liberty's crown-- or at least I hope so-- the only thing stopping it is the potential interference with the penthouse tenant.

nah... that whole bldg. should be lit up like the Wrigley when its done. I'll find out...

THey haven't gotten the permit for the jumbotron yet (don't know if they've applied for it, though).

I guar-On-tee you that when the visors are done, they will be lit up like the Statue of Liberty's crown-- or at least I hope so-- the only thing stopping it is the potential interference with the penthouse tenant.

nah... that whole bldg. should be lit up like the Wrigley when its done. I'll find out...

I anticipate that the visor will be lit up similar to the Waverly.

yeah, well I doubt that all 32 million Californians are high societers that are strangers to locker room talk.

I think alot of cities would be considered backward compared to San Fran. And why would he even be comparing the two-- San Fran is a real city- and has been so for a long time. plus, the metro is 4x the size of ours.

Yeah, afterall Orlando is the only city where residents quote Chappelle's Show. I'm sorry, but if you've never heard of the show, which happens to be the best selling TV show DVD of all-time, or "I'm Rick James, b***h!" then you might be the one who's backward.

Since this in an urban development forum, feel free to ask me to stay on-topic or refrain from using harsh language, but please don't whine and exaggerate just because you don't understand what is clearly a joke.

For those with a sense of humor, here's a link to a not-work-safe video of the skit we were laughing about.

Ouch!

As with any community I think we just have to be careful for those who may "overhear" things who may not be privy to the jokes you are referencing. Normally it may not be an issue but if it's offensive and off topic it may be best to err on the safe side.

I have never watched Chappelle's Show and I like to think that doesn't in itself make me backwards. And I do have a sense of humor.......

Edited by Tim3167

Yeah, afterall Orlando is the only city where residents quote Chappelle's Show. I'm sorry, but if you've never heard of the show, which happens to be the best selling TV show DVD of all-time, or "I'm Rick James, b***h!" then you might be the one who's backward.

Since this in an urban development forum, feel free to ask me to stay on-topic or refrain from using harsh language, but please don't whine and exaggerate just because you don't understand what is clearly a joke.

For those with a sense of humor, here's a link to a not-work-safe video of the skit we were laughing about.

Don't worry bic. i got it.

Actually never noticed orlandonative's icon image until you pointed it out, had to look closely to see the Samuel Jackson Beer.

But come on people, thats pretty funny. Even if you dont think so, you at least know now it was just a pretty popular skit being quoted.

orlandonative, bet youd never thought your image would stir up so much! :-)

anyway...lets get on with business...

i'm hearing that The Plaza is planning to open restaurants and theatre at once, and the original Sept grand opening date, that was moved to December, is now moved into Feb! what gives!!

Edited by pip

pip, who told you that The Plaza opening date was moved to Feb? If true, that would be very surprising considering the Solaire is actually a few months ahead of schedule. I just talked to them last week and they are estimating a January completion date (instead of the original March estimate).

pip, who told you that The Plaza opening date was moved to Feb? If true, that would be very surprising considering the Solaire is actually a few months ahead of schedule. I just talked to them last week and they are estimating a January completion date (instead of the original March estimate).

I heard it from neighboring business owners, or at least thats what they're hearing. It was just concerning the commercial side of things, i.e movie theatre and restaurants, since thats what they're anxious to see open. Not sure how the Solaire plays into it, i didnt ask about that. But we're still far enough out where January and February are pretty much synonymous, considering. especially who knows what delays may creep up on something as complex as a movie theatre, not to mention the restaurants. I was just dissapointed that its not Sept (which is what was touted in Sept '05) hopefully if they keep construction ahead of schedule, that can help absorb some of the build-out delays that may come up.

I do like the fact that they're shooting for a grand opening of the complex as a whole, with the consumer businesses opening at once, unfortunately that type of coordination can cause delays, but i still like it!

are you hearing the same about this approach?

I don't have any inside info or anything. I purchased a unit on the 18th floor and gave Solaire a call last week for an update. They told me that they were ahead of schedule so that's why I was surprised the Plaza grand opening has been pushed back since it seems like they are making great progress.

I did ask you to refrain, in so many words, when I expressed that I felt like I'd entered a locker room. I'm sorry you perceived that as whining and exaggerating.

My point was that it's not appropriate on a forum such as this to make jokes about ****-ing fat women, or old women, or black women, or gays, or teen-age cheerleaders, or whatever other group that some TV show deems fair game. I don't -- or didn't -- think that's why a lot of us come here.

That's all.

By the way, the forum rules do state:

The following may constitute a warning, suspension and finally banning which will be decided by the moderator for that forum(s):

o Foul mouth (though we have taken precautions against certain uses of words)

o Posting of material that would be deemed inappropriate for all ages.

I'm off my soapbox now. I didn't mean to start anything. Have a great day and enjoy your TV show. I just thought the original comment was kind of shocking, that's all.

It's only got a couple more floors to go on the Solaire and it's almost eclipsing SunTrust when you are on the east side of Lake Eola.

I think once this whole new renaissance of downtown happens and a "wall" has been built, any new buildings in say 3 years from now will have to get taller just to make an appearance.