The Plaza

Tim3167

I like how in the 4th to last picture, the Regions Bank and the Citrus Center peak through in between the Solaire and the other two buildings, it creates a great visual effect to indicate density in the area.

Also, driving east on I4 right before the 408 exit, the view of downtown is improving. Solaire clearly rises above Citrus Center now. That shot will look great with 55W and the Vue added in. In my opinion that is actually one of the best areas to get a shot of downtown. I am always stuck in traffic there, maybe I'll snap a photo next time.

Lovin it! Gotsta point out that some people were raving about the shiny new glass facade being put on the "tall" hotel in Dubai in another thread and this is made of the same or similar crap, and this is much more solid important project! We should all take a moment to take it in and pay Kuhn his due respect!

Don't forget the impact (hopefully) Dynetech will have in this area.

I like how in the 4th to last picture, the Regions Bank and the Citrus Center peak through in between the Solaire and the other two buildings, it creates a great visual effect to indicate density in the area.

Also, driving east on I4 right before the 408 exit, the view of downtown is improving. Solaire clearly rises above Citrus Center now. That shot will look great with 55W and the Vue added in. In my opinion that is actually one of the best areas to get a shot of downtown. I am always stuck in traffic there, maybe I'll snap a photo next time.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know... although I certainly like what this project is doing for the street level view on Orange Ave. at that corner, looking at the pics of the Solaire and knowing that it is not going to get any taller, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. It seems to suffer a little from that same old "stubby-look" syndrome that every building that goes up in downtown Orlando always has. I think maybe they should have designed the tower to look as though it was continuous from the top floor all the way down to street level, thus "stretching out" it's appearance. I'll reseve final judgement until it's nearer completion, but right now, from certain angles it just seems to have a kind of trunctuated "boxy" look.

Edited by JFW657

I don't know... although I certainly like what this project is doing for the street level view on Orange Ave. at that corner, looking at the pics of the Solaire and knowing that it is not going to get any taller, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. It seems to suffer a little from that same old "stubby-look" syndrome that every building that goes up in downtown Orlando always has. I think maybe they should have designed the tower to look as though it was continuous from the top floor all the way down to street level, thus "stretching out" it's appearance. I'll reseve final judgement until it's nearer completion, but right now, from certain angles it just seems to have a kind of trunctuated "boxy" look.

I agree - they did design it that way in the initial renderings, didn't they? I remember the sides of the buildings extending down the parking garage, giving it a much sleeker look.

That's night and day. The original looks like a skyscraper and what we've got looks like some giant was playing with his blocks.

thats b/c that first design, which is awesome, has gotta be as tall as or taller than Suntrust.

regarding the new design, glass on the sides will go to the sidewalk, thus helping the "vertical look" alot.

Here's a thought...

Most of Orlando's new developments (planned and being built) are average to small 'usable' buildings on top of pedestal parking garages.

If Orlando had better mass transit (keeping a lot of cars off the road), would the buildings here be even smaller?

ie: If you take Solaire's pedestal away, you lose a third of its heighth. That's just a garage. 50 years ago, not everyone had a car. No one really knows what will be in store 50 years from now, but those garages will still be there as part of this generation of buildings.