The Plaza

Tim3167

Solaire is said to be 335'. But it doesn't look 106' shorter than Suntrust to me.

I was thinking the same thing too.

When no one was looking the FAA reduced the SunTrust to 399 feet. :rofl:

Seriously though, I think it might be taller. Look at some of the pictures. The Citrus Center is listed as 280' and the Solaire looks more than 55' taller. Did height get added to Solaire when height was also added to the other plaza office buildings? They were originally not supposed to be as tall either.

Edited by facilities man

I was driving to work the other morning, I forget exactly what intersection I was at, maybe Bumby and Anderson, I'm not sure. But I caught a good view of the eastern face of the Solaire, and saw all that glass that was going on. Later on something occured to me.... people driving into downtown from the east on westbound 408 around 7:00 or 8:00 in the morning when the sun is coming up over the horizon and starts hitting that giant curtain of reflective glass are going to get their retinas fried. I wonder how many wrecks that thing is going to cause... Better get some really good quality sun glasses and keep em in the car.

:shades:

Edited by JFW657

I'm actually starting to believe the 357' that Emporis has listed. If you print the drawing and the scale that is on orlandoskyscrapers.com you will come out in the 350 something range. Try it.

I've measured that drawing and came up with 335ft.

How can you measure it accurately from that picture? Neither Suntrust nor Wachovia nor BB&T are the same distance from the camera. You'd have to do some fancy calculating taking into account the perspective/distance of the camera.

I calculated it from the blueprint I have for the building not the above picture.

In the image below, I've copied and pasted the scale directly onto the blueprint. The entire scale fits in twice for 256', then fit in a 64' section of the scale to get to 320'. After that a 32' section brings us to 352' and therre's still a bit more to the top of the structure. What have I done wrong?

solairedrawing2740x9560dd.jpg

In the image below, I've copied and pasted the scale directly onto the blueprint. The entire scale fits in twice for 256', then fit in a 64' section of the scale to get to 320'. After that a 32' section brings us to 352' and therre's still a bit more to the top of the structure. What have I done wrong?

solairedrawing2740x9560dd.jpg

Alright I give in, I changed the height to 357ft.

if it is 357', that's a little depressing, b/c it means that Dynetech will only be 10' taller, and 55W will only be 20' taller. I was hoping its height was only 335'.

Yeah, but we're talking about buildings that are only mid to upper 300'. That's not very tall no matter how you look at it. 300' will never look like 400' or 500' no matter what. But it will look nice. That's what matters. Just think "European" and it should help. It does me. :)

Just think "European" and it should help. It does me. :)

I've heard the European concept tossed about a lot around here and it bothers me a little. Western European architecture for the most part consists of block after block of low-rise (usually no greater than 7-8 stories) buildings, often times connected to each other. There are very few 300-foot tall structures in these cities, aside from a few modern districts in older cities (i.e. London, Paris, Barcelona, Rome). When these cities do decide to go vertical, they do it in style with buildings that can be up to 600-800 feet tall. I don't know of a city in Europe with a downtown (an American creation) consisting of many buildings all 200-400 feet tall. If anything, I think the direction Orlando is headed in is more along the lines of Vancouver than anything else.

Okay. You guys are right about the height at 357'. I spoke with the GC today (personally know him, and a handful of others). he flipped to the blueprint and did the whole 455' minus sea level plus that 93.2' or whatever number in the bottom right hand corner of that very same schematic (except with more numbers on it) you all posted above. It came out to 357'.

FYI-- he had the roll of Dynetech blueprints nearby which had recently been delivered by the architects. I didn't press the issue, so next week, he might let me peruse them (is that a word?). I want to verify the height.

FYI-- he confirmed that they are also doing the Lutheran tower.

funny thing though, these guys mainly stick to their own projects and aren't too concerned with details of other projects; noone ever gets the height or floor counts right when I bring up some of these other projects. I guess this psychosis is limited to UP forumers only...

I think there are about 3 completed buildings in Orlando above 300 ft (SunTrust, Courthouse, and BoA). Now there are 4 more under construction (Solaire, Vue, 55W, & Dynetech). Each of these bringing hundreds of 24/7 residents into downtown plus other mixed uses. How does one become depressed by this? The future is bright! :shades:

Okay. You guys are right about the height at 357'. I spoke with the GC today (personally know him, and a handful of others). he flipped to the blueprint and did the whole 455' minus sea level plus that 93.2' or whatever number in the bottom right hand corner of that very same schematic (except with more numbers on it) you all posted above. It came out to 357'.

FYI-- he had the roll of Dynetech blueprints nearby which had recently been delivered by the architects. I didn't press the issue, so next week, he might let me peruse them (is that a word?). I want to verify the height.

FYI-- he confirmed that they are also doing the Lutheran tower.

funny thing though, these guys mainly stick to their own projects and aren't too concerned with details of other projects; noone ever gets the height or floor counts right when I bring up some of these other projects. I guess this psychosis is limited to UP forumers only...

You guys are funny.

I've heard the European concept tossed about a lot around here and it bothers me a little. Western European architecture for the most part consists of block after block of low-rise (usually no greater than 7-8 stories) buildings, often times connected to each other. There are very few 300-foot tall structures in these cities, aside from a few modern districts in older cities (i.e. London, Paris, Barcelona, Rome). When these cities do decide to go vertical, they do it in style with buildings that can be up to 600-800 feet tall. I don't know of a city in Europe with a downtown (an American creation) consisting of many buildings all 200-400 feet tall. If anything, I think the direction Orlando is headed in is more along the lines of Vancouver than anything else.

I don't agree with the European references either, but if a height limit means developers are going horizontal to make up for lost vertical space I'm all for it!