The Plaza

Tim3167

On a different note, I recieved the email from the Solaire Sales Center wherein they were trying to upsell the wood flooring. It's nice that they are offering to roll it into the closing price, but I think the wood I was looking at was about 2 1/2 times the price they paid for it

Put it in yourself after you close for a lot less. Also, if you upgrade anything through the developer, it gets added to your cost for the condo and therefore raises your tax assesment. I'm going to do my own.

Put it in yourself after you close for a lot less. Also, if you upgrade anything through the developer, it gets added to your cost for the condo and therefore raises your tax assesment. I'm going to do my own.

This is extremely wise advice. I would suggest that ANY condo buyer do the same. Of course, the trade off is that you must add the install time to move in time, but in the long run, what's a couple of weeks.

We did this with Eola South and made out like bandits! :yahoo:

BTW -- I would suggest (and I've had many houses/condos over the past few years) LOWES for the flooring and EXPO for the window stuff. They just get it right and have awesome selections. Don't get me started on my furniture choices! :rofl:

This is extremely wise advice. I would suggest that ANY condo buyer do the same. Of course, the trade off is that you must add the install time to move in time, but in the long run, what's a couple of weeks.

We did this with Eola South and made out like bandits! :yahoo:

BTW -- I would suggest (and I've had many houses/condos over the past few years) LOWES for the flooring and EXPO for the window stuff. They just get it right and have awesome selections. Don't get me started on my furniture choices! :rofl:

"Window stuff" in a condo? Unless your thinking of blinds, curtains...I don't know. I have ordered from Lowes 6 times now the same windows and they still can't seem to get it right. That Altamone store is the pits. I am getting the motorized curtains anyway, and I doubt that they can handle the install since they are so lame at ordering outside windows. Of course, outside contractors do the installs anyways. Any recommendations for the motorized blinds? Thanks!

"Window stuff" in a condo? Unless your thinking of blinds, curtains...I don't know. I have ordered from Lowes 6 times now the same windows and they still can't seem to get it right. That Altamone store is the pits. I am getting the motorized curtains anyway, and I doubt that they can handle the install since they are so lame at ordering outside windows. Of course, outside contractors do the installs anyways. Any recommendations for the motorized blinds? Thanks!

I was talking about curtians and drapes/blinds. I have a pretty unique setup of track drawn curtains that wrap around in a U shape. They rock and expo did an EXCELLENT job installing them. Of course the were $3K :wacko: but they make the place.

Lowes did me just fine for my flooring -- I've had HORRIBLE experiences with Home Depot. Also, Flooring Solutions in the Design building in Altamonte (the one with Scan Design in it) did an excellent job on my old house.

As for the Motorized blinds, You can probably get the fabric from Expo or anywhere that sells that stuff. Make sure you provide a sample to whoever is doing the track/motor install so that they can assure you it's not too heavy.

The tracking and motor you'll probaby want to go to Absolute Sound in WP. They have contractors that do that I believe. Expo might be able to handle it, I would ask...

I was talking about curtians and drapes/blinds. I have a pretty unique setup of track drawn curtains that wrap around in a U shape. They rock and expo did an EXCELLENT job installing them. Of course the were $3K :wacko: but they make the place.

Lowes did me just fine for my flooring -- I've had HORRIBLE experiences with Home Depot. Also, Flooring Solutions in the Design building in Altamonte (the one with Scan Design in it) did an excellent job on my old house.

As for the Motorized blinds, You can probably get the fabric from Expo or anywhere that sells that stuff. Make sure you provide a sample to whoever is doing the track/motor install so that they can assure you it's not too heavy.

The tracking and motor you'll probaby want to go to Absolute Sound in WP. They have contractors that do that I believe. Expo might be able to handle it, I would ask...

For motorized blinds, nothing compares to Lutron QED. They are super-quiet and reliable. Ours were purchased from Florida Rod and Drape (the only place in town that does Lutron QED, I think). Absolute Sound did the wiring and control systems (Lutron Homeworks and Crestron). If you just need the motorized blinds and dedicated control keypads not linked into a whole-house automation system, you can go directly to Florida Rod & Blind. Skip is one of the owners and he handles all the QED stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are talking about remodel and sway away from the topic, anybody ever done reface cabinet? Is it really cheap and best solution?

and where would one find concrete counter top in Orlando?

Sears, Lowes and Home Dump all do refacing if you want to go that route. Depending on what you have now, it may not be work refacing but just have them rolled with a good quality primer like Kilz. Then put an enamel top coat on them. It is labor intensive and you need to know how to paint and remove cabinet doors etc.

As far as the concrete countertop is concerned, their is a book on the markt by some Korean person who gives detailed instructions on how to get this installed. Major weight on the cabinets so you want to be sure they are well supported before even thinking about this install. I would think one of the synthetic laminates or silestone counters would be more cost-effective.

These pictures are awesome, hands down

It's definetly a new era in Orlando and this project is the perfect example

As much as I love what I see here, I hate to be the one to beotch and whine but wouldn't it be great if each of the 2 office towers was another 5 floors each and the Solaire another 10 floors?

Imagine that

I should stop beotching, this is so much better than the nothing that we had before

Since we are talking about remodel and sway away from the topic, anybody ever done reface cabinet? Is it really cheap and best solution?

and where would one find concrete counter top in Orlando?

I know someone who did this, it probably was less than half the cost of new cabinents. Your kitchen needs to be structurally sound to begin with.

Concrete is porous so you'd have to seal it occasionally. There are people who install it, next time I see an ad I'll try and remember.

Edited by neon9

As much as I love what I see here, I hate to be the one to beotch and whine but wouldn't it be great if each of the 2 office towers was another 5 floors each and the Solaire another 10 floors?

When the city and region solve the transportation problems we will start to see much larger projects; as it is now the roads cannot handle it and decent public transport is still a wet dream.

When the city and region solve the transportation problems we will start to see much larger projects; as it is now the roads cannot handle it and decent public transport is still a wet dream.

I hate to have to disagree with your opinion, but that had nothing to do with the height of Solaire or the other two towers for that matter.

I hate to have to disagree with your opinion, but that had nothing to do with the height of Solaire or the other two towers for that matter.

Let me ask everyone a question as iam not an expert on this.Why doesnt Orlando,THe county sate and even feds pony up some monies and build some high rise affordable apartments in the parramore area.I have said it b/4 but in Indy they built two 45 story towers downtown that was funded by all the identies indy,state and feds.Whyw wouldnt that work here?The buildings are very attractive and add alot to their downtown.Just a thought.Or even build wome highrises for middle and upper income folks also

Gotta agree with that-when's the last time over capacity roads stopped any project in Orlando or Orange County?

And if you need a perfect example -- just look at the south portion of Alafaya Trail. They don't plan on having its widening complete before 2009 or 2010! Yet, Avalon Park will continue to grow.

:sick:

Let me ask everyone a question as iam not an expert on this.Why doesnt Orlando,THe county sate and even feds pony up some monies and build some high rise affordable apartments in the parramore area.I have said it b/4 but in Indy they built two 45 story towers downtown that was funded by all the identies indy,state and feds.Whyw wouldnt that work here?The buildings are very attractive and add alot to their downtown.Just a thought.Or even build wome highrises for middle and upper income folks also

That makes a lot of sense to me gumpking. I do have to say that mentioning of the words "affordable" and "housing" in the same sentence and most people get squeazy. I am aware of several publicly funding housing projects that would be given double takes if their dubious pedigree were to be exposed. That is an issue for the Orlando Housing Authority, though. Right now their largest project is that Carver Court thing over in Parramore. They appear to be vertically challenged going for the suburban scale garden style apartments/townhouses than grand architectural statements to affordable housing.