The Plaza

Tim3167

I second on the statue - very cool.

The metal braces between the columns on the second floor - are those supposed to be some sort of architectural feature, or are they to be used as backing for posters/billboards? I'm hoping for the latter, as that could be a very cool effect.

I wished they had used date palms or something slightly more grand, rather than what are those? Windmill palms? A minor complaint, but, they stick out...

They appear to just be Washingtonias, Washington Palms, whatever. 1 step above the old cabbage/sabal palm.

I agree Date Palms would be nicer, maybe give more shade. They take a lot of room though.

Maybe at least they could have mixed it up a little, from the picture the palms look all the same, even the same height, with one hardwood (oak?) in the middle?

1. SSC: ok, maybe I was a little harsh in my assessment...

2. Whitney Houston-- I don't get the reference, but it's funny nonetheless.

3. PTP private bash on Sat: My sis was a guest; red carpet; future theme; stilt-walkers; aliens; ice-carved liquor bars; Kuhn handing Dyer a check for like $11M or $14M for effect; no pix, only her epistle.

Sorry about the #2 reference. Whitney Houston is famous for saying "kiss my a$$!" in a very fun way from her television show. Whitney's vulgarity I never watched the show, I only know about it because it has become a piece of modern pop culture... just her little clippet. Sorry, I now return you to the topic at hand...

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

They appear to just be Washingtonias, Washington Palms, whatever. 1 step above the old cabbage/sabal palm.

I agree Date Palms would be nicer, maybe give more shade. They take a lot of room though.

Maybe at least they could have mixed it up a little, from the picture the palms look all the same, even the same height, with one hardwood (oak?) in the middle?

I could go for the Royal Palms like they have all over the streets of Miami. I've seen them growing on Westwood Blvd. near Seaworld as well.

Unicorp leases the space. They own it, and they decide. Besides, I think they are lucky to have that many signed.

I'll bet they'll all drag their feet in building out and opening though. The crowds won't start to show up until the movie theater opens around April. I think most of these place will try to time their opening to be right before the movies open.

Given the location and the scope of the project that so called Main & Main, I was expecting more main streams stores or restaurants in this entertaintment district.. more in the line of Cheesecake Factory, Barnes & Noble, Express, Brookstone, a sleek furniture store or even a Hooters.... to put downtown Orlando retails up a notch.

The "retails" they have there are kind of disappointing, dont you agree? It just look like I can even open a 99 cents t-shirt store there and they wont object .

Given the location and the scope of the project that so called Main & Main, I was expecting more main streams stores or restaurants in this entertaintment district.. more in the line of Cheesecake Factory, Barnes & Noble, Express, Brookstone, a sleek furniture store or even a Hooters.... to put downtown Orlando retails up a notch.

The "retails" they have there are kind of disappointing, dont you agree? It just look like I can even open a 99 cents t-crap store there and they wont object .

The market dictates what will open. At first it will be food. After more people live downtown you'll see retail and service providers start to open up.

The same "dumbass" who built three buildings using city incentive money, sold out the condo's in about a week, is opening his buildings almost sold out, and making a ton of money. I wish I could be that dumb.

Too bad he didn't use a few pounds of that "ton of money" he's making to put something on the top of that condo to make it a little more appealing to look at and less like a Wheaties box.

About the Trees. I think the attention is supposed to be focused on the building itself as well as the facade of the building at street level. The personality of the Plaza will be determined by the retailers that occupy the space. A subtle palm is just a nice small accessory.

2 cents worth

Don't tell any landscape architects that :-)

It's hard to explain, but trees have many benefits-not just shade and absorbing CO2. They add color and life. They break up usually straight lines on buildings with waves and curves. For all of these reasons and more, they make things more attractive, at least to most people. Think, what looks better, the area of I-Drive that is between Sea World and the old Sports Dominator? Or the section near Pointe Orlando?

I can't think of a good contrast of buildings...well maybe the Sanctuary, and say the apts. on the s.w. corner of the railroad tracks and Orange, north of 50? The apts have palms and other street trees, a courtyard (of course the Sanctuary may have one on the roof), groundcover and shrubs in front of peoples windows....the Sanctuary is a bit bare, but they have added a few trees at the rear of the building sides. Nothing at the street corner, correct? Besides orange chairs and a metal railing, that is. In other words, nothing to break up the mass of the building.

Not only that, but street trees slow down traffic and reduce accidents. Just read an article about it, they interviewed someone in Orlando about the palms they added along 50. Although I don't think they had figures for that area yet, it has indeed been proven any 'obstacles' near the path of travel reduce car speed and increase awareness.

But anyway, I'm sure some people could care less or won't even notice the trees. Maybe there will be enough umbrellas out there for shade, if there are many cafe's or coffee places. But personally, I think landscaping can add a lot.

Here's another one, look at the 2 primary entrances to the Millennia Mall....then go look at the Florida or Fashion Square or Altamonte Spgs. mall. Although I think they may be doing some improvements to some of those. Would the History Center be the same if it had a few cheap palm trees in front of it? No, the design called for native, and quite large, cypress trees and coontie groundcover, another native.

Boy I'm a landscape nerd. I like those Royal palms too but rarely see them here. I though we were too far north, but if they are around SeaWorld....I think some Italian Cypress might work well there (the Plaza), but I'd have to look at the building again. There's an interesting tree, very tall and skinny, and evergreen.

Oh, and that's a good question, where the hell are the bike racks??? Probably hidden somewhere in the garage. So we have to go the Netherlands (Den Haag) to park our bikes?

I'll bet they'll all drag their feet in building out and opening though. The crowds won't start to show up until the movie theater opens around April. I think most of these place will try to time their opening to be right before the movies open.

Unicorp?

Still? I've heard some things about them, and not just on this board. And none of them are good, at least not lately. So I bet they drag their feet also.

I hear they are getting their butts kicked in Altamonte on the DT/City Center.