The Plaza

Tim3167

yesterday they were testing the alarm system. It's like you're in a sci-fi movie; the strobes blink and an echoey voice just keeps blarring over and over; its kinda cool. hope I never have to hear it when its for real.

The same in CNL Center. I worked there when it opened 6 years ago. They ran a test and didn't tell anyone. We didn't know what the heck was going on.

I've been to several places in Europe, and don't really remember seeing much A&F or Hollister. What I did see looked like it was on tourists. They (Europeans) seemed to layer with clothing that didn't have logos all over it. Or just not layer it in the summer.

i work for a major fashion forward company called Sixty SpA based in Italy and we are the most popular denim brand worldwide and the Italians I work for crave Abercrombie. The reason you don't see it all over Europe yet is because they just went International. When the Italians come to the US, they always stop at Abercrombie. Personally, I'm not a fan, but in their eyes, they can't get enough.

i work for a major fashion forward company called Sixty SpA based in Italy and we are the most popular denim brand worldwide and the Italians I work for crave Abercrombie. The reason you don't see it all over Europe yet is because they just went International. When the Italians come to the US, they always stop at Abercrombie. Personally, I'm not a fan, but in their eyes, they can't get enough.

Haven't Italians always been enamoured with American youth culture and fashion? It's a shame that for all the food and fashion Italy exports to America that we give them McDonald's and ratty A&F T-shirts and jeans.

Is all the retail in The Plaza on the ground floor, and will there be access to them directly from the street? I get a vague TimeWarner Center vibe from the layout. Would a basement level Whole Foods been too much to ask for? I really like this project and can't wait for the theater to open.

Edited by palmtree73

Haven't Italians always been enamoured with American youth culture and fashion? It's a shame that for all the food and fashion Italy exports to America that we give them McDonald's and ratty A&F T-shirts and jeans.

Is all the retail in The Plaza on the ground floor, and will there be access to them directly from the street? I get a vague TimeWarner Center vibe from the layout. Would a basement level Whole Foods been too much to ask for? I really like this project and can't wait for the theater to open.

No! I live and work in Torino which is next to Milano, the fashion capitol. Perhaps many years ago EUropeans were enamoured with "Hollywood" America. We thought all americans were rich and happy and always had fun. Then we came to America and realized, Americans are just as miserable as we are!

We always made fun of Americans and their fashion. We love the tourists that come to Italy because we can pick an American out of the crowd from a mile (kilometer) away.....because of the unique dress style (or lack of)! :rofl:

The one american (?) brand that is the latest craze in Europe and Italy is "bebe"....I don't think there is an attractive woman on the european continent that doesn't crave having an article of clothing from bebe.

Ooops....this is not a fashion thread. Sorry!

We always made fun of Americans and their fashion. We love the tourists that come to Italy because we can pick an American out of the crowd from a mile (kilometer) away.....because of the unique dress style (or lack of)! :rofl:

The one american (?) brand that is the latest craze in Europe and Italy is "bebe"....I don't think there is an attractive woman on the european continent that doesn't crave having an article of clothing from bebe.

I was in Torino and Milano a few weeks ago and was in utter shock at how popular Ray Ban aviators have become over there. Every man, woman, child has a pair, whether real or knock-offs...and I'm not even exagerrating. Businessmen, in their fine tailored suits, were wearing them all over the places. The other shocking fashion trend I noticed over there was the donning of cowboy boots by the ladies. Not just boats that look sorta like cowboy boots, but full blown cowboy boots. These were usually accompanied by either leggings and/or a short skirt. Oh, and aviators, of course. Definitely a couple of styles that used to be distinctly American. I'm sure we'll be seeing the masses on our shores catch the trend in the upcoming months.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they are adding more statues. I saw this one on the left side of the building, near the corner. It doesn't look like there are plans for another on the other side of the building, but it does look like there are two pedestals in front of the plaza where two additional statues can go. And they've about finished the street level sidewalk tile work.

294011240_c424545a42_b.jpg

Actually, it would probably be better if it were a newer camera phone. Its a 2 mp camera, but it works! I don't even know what I'd do with 10 mp

I thought the same thing, but now that I got "just" the 6 mp, I realize I could use more: it's the cropping. Instead of futzing about trying to get the framing 'just right' and possibly loose the composition, I get it close and crop/tilt back at home. More pixels means a better shot at what is essentially "digital zooming" without going grainy. For an amateur like me, I also could stay zoomed out a little bit more so I can balance the scene later when I have the time. Now I have to get it almost finished framed optically if I want anything printed.

I put that out there because I know I like to learn from other people's mistakes. May I be a bad example for all of you...

Well, with my 2 mp, you can see what happens when I zoom. That cool pixellated satellite effect you were talking about. After I saw a few pics of mine like that, I no longer zoom.

I wonder if there will be two more statues, and if so, will it be too much? That would make four statues in the front of the plaza, and one by the door I took a picture of near the corner. Five statues. And lots of greenery.

Still loving these statues.

Still hating those palm trees. And why the heck would the landscaper plant a tree under an overhang? Maybe it's a strange perspective thing from the photo, but the tree already looks like it's about to grow into the building...

It sure is. If you look closely, one of the palm fronds is so close that it is reflecting off dull metal.

THANKS FOR THE PICS - TIM

I wonder if the dent on the bent pipe at the top of the statue is a feature, or just on more reason why we can't have ANYthing nice. At least the bare bosoms will keep Ashcroft from giving a speech in front of it.

I'd assume it's part of the piece. Looks as if its made from raw materials of some sort or another. Anyway, why damage a pipe at the uppermost part of the statute when one could vandalize the statue itself? But I know less about vandalism than I do art.

Read an interesting piece about the artist. Quite a backstory.

From an Orange County (Calif.) alt weekly.

http://www.ocweekly.com/culture/arts/a-lit...kefeller/26094/

The last I had checked there was a bit of lighting on solaire. Much of it was in the crown and was planned to mimmick north/south towers. That said I haven't been involved with design in a while, for all I know they could have V.E.'d it right out of the budget (but I doubt it). I think as we get closer to the New Year they'll turn them on.