The Plaza

Tim3167

Anyone use the parking lot at the Solaire yet? The enterance and exit are REALLY narrow. There are scuff marks all along the wall from cars hitting it. There is no way a tow truck can tow a car out if need be. Not going to fit. Also, it's going to be a nightmare for the residents to enter/leave when the movie theatre opens and the movies let out or start.

I rode my bicycle up the exit ramp a few weekends ago and felt a little cramped. Very....european. I would not try to park the typical american SUV there.

I rode my bicycle up the exit ramp a few weekends ago and felt a little cramped. Very....european. I would not try to park the typical american SUV there.

Yea, its tight, but not the end of the world...I took up a Pathfinder and it was totally find.

Edited by nicahrens

I keep reading ads on craigslist of people saying that they just want their money back (deposit), and selling for purchase price. What is that all about? Is there something wrong with this building or is it just because of the bad market?

The issue now has become "will I loose money if I close on my unit?" Especially if someone paid a price other than what the "investor preffered" price was at the time of their contract signing. As the market softens, the chance of making any money on these units either through rental or resale is declining too. People are realizing that all the units to be used in the rental program are filled; many of them were counting on renting their units out, but they are stuck paying the mortgage or living in them until they can get on the rental list which won't be for a long time I'm afraid. This biometric access deal has got some great features if you want to restrict access to the building.

The issue now has become "will I loose money if I close on my unit?" Especially if someone paid a price other than what the "investor preffered" price was at the time of their contract signing. As the market softens, the chance of making any money on these units either through rental or resale is declining too. People are realizing that all the units to be used in the rental program are filled; many of them were counting on renting their units out, but they are stuck paying the mortgage or living in them until they can get on the rental list which won't be for a long time I'm afraid. This biometric access deal has got some great features if you want to restrict access to the building.

Is there a regular key to get in the building? I assume they use fingerprint/palm id, what if you fall and scrape your hand while on a walk?

Good analysis. The rental list has had many changes in size and specific units -- anything but static.

• 2 weeks later...

I was up in a completed penthouse in the Solaire this week. The views are breathtaking through 15 or so foot high glass. The 2nd floor (30th floor) lofts are kind of nice with expansive balcony space. But overall I was very under-impressed with the finish. Works for a 2-500k unit but nothing remotely close to what you should get over a million or in this case two (imo).

friend of mine lives in the building....she said they have had 60 closings now and 30 units are occupied....i think they have like 15 of the 60 back out for resale....has anyone been in that parking garage?....residents have to go up 9 floors!.....i thought they would have had a direct ramp for the residents but they have to go around and around like a maze...i think it is crazi!

friend of mine lives in the building....she said they have had 60 closings now and 30 units are occupied....i think they have like 15 of the 60 back out for resale....has anyone been in that parking garage?....residents have to go up 9 floors!.....i thought they would have had a direct ramp for the residents but they have to go around and around like a maze...i think it is crazi!

Yes, the parking garage is one of the reasons why i didn't buy there. However, i did go see a bunch of the units there and like the overall finish of them. I did not like the ceiling and Ihope the Vue is somewhat better. IF not then i will have to go ahead and finish it.

I have been in the building a week now. I think there are about 20 or so units occupied, the garage is surprisingly empty at night.

Circling up to the residential parking floors (7-9) isn't that bad really, but not as convienient as parking on the 2nd or 3rd floor for sure. The downtown lifestyle is supposed to mean not driving very often, maybe not even to work. When I lived at the Waverly for 2 years and worked downtown, I could easily go without driving somewhere for 2-3 days. So to me this isnt really an issue.

The garage is poorly designed though, with a huge blind spot on every floor and a few turns that feel very tight when exiting... I am sure when the movie theather opens there will be alot of accidents on the lower levels.

speaking of the movie theater, when is it set to open? I remember originally it was supposed to open in april... obviously that's gotten pushed back. I have a feeling that movie theater alone will transform that part of downtown significantly, bring some much-needed energy downtown

speaking of the movie theater, when is it set to open? I remember originally it was supposed to open in april... obviously that's gotten pushed back. I have a feeling that movie theater alone will transform that part of downtown significantly, bring some much-needed energy downtown

I was told of a soft opening in June with a July 4 grand opening (from actual subs (not mexicans)) working level 2.

I was told of a soft opening in June with a July 4 grand opening (from actual subs (not mexicans)) working level 2.

That works for a usually good weekend. Big movies include:

June 15 - Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (they may obviously miss this one)

June 22 - Evan Almighty (hit or miss)

June 27 - Live Free or Die Hard (it'll have the explosions, but I don't know how good Bruce Willis will be as an action star at his age)

June 29 - Ratatouille (for the kids, so this particular theater will probably not get much use of it)

------

July 4 - License to Wed (this will be the comedy) & Transformers (typical special effects blow out for July 4th - Paramount tentpole)

July 13 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner tentpole)

So there are at least 2 big movies guaranteed for their opening. Assuming there will be more adults going to this theater on a regular basis, I hope they have a better selection of independent films.

I was told that is why they were able to offer the units at a lower price. Because they do this all the time.

This building is actually in several major cities. They just alter the outer look a tad and poof - everyone is fooled. But it does help and is nice that the units come out cheaper!