The Plaza

Tim3167

As long as they don't build two of the same in the same city... who cares. It is an excellent looking building and design. Why shouldn't the developer go with something that works... Solaire and the commercial buildings are going to be great for Orlando, and that is all that should matter for us local folks.

Wow. I just saw that pic of the building in Atlanta. A virtual carbon copy. That was surprising.

Personally I don't think the Solaire is an ugly design by any stretch, it's just that flat, trunctuated roofline that makes it look like they quit before they were finished. The whole height to width ratio is what I dislike. Otherwise, it's a decent looking design. Had they done something on top to visually stretch the thing up a little it would look better.

Out of all of the similar designs in the different cities. Solaire is by far the nicest. You really have to look at the big picture. All three buildings really look great all together. Plus, this is the only one that has a movie theater, and all kinds of businesses moving in. No other city can compete with that! Also, the designs are similar, but they are not carbon copies by any means. They each have their own style, even though the basics are the same. Once all the final details are finished and all of the business are in full swing, this is going to be the biggest happening in Orlando's history. For the folks that are fortunate enough to actually be able to really live there, and even to the folks that will only visit the movie theater, etc., this is going to be huge. Even with the ups and downs in the market, a place with the best location, as is Solaire, the best amenities, as is Solaire, and the best value, as is Solaire, a place like this will always be able to weather the best storms and ultimatley be able to come out ahead. As for all the others, and all the speculators out there, not so much.

Edited by awitte3

Hey All, I hate to this but I'm at work and don't have the time to go through all the posts, but... didn't someone have their counter tops done in cement here? My boss wants to do this but was told that no one in Orlando does it. On the contrary I told him there are places here in town that do. Can anyone give me a reputable source I can send him to?

Thanks!

[sorry... back to topic]

Yeah, someone other than EXPO. I don't remember who was mentioned. But thanks... if anyone remembers please let me know! ^_^

Man I don't know of anyone in Orlando who would do such work. Even if you found someone to do it, the process is ridiculous.

Just imagine this scenario:

Cast in place concrete counters would have to be formed on the floor. An 8' countertop for example that is say, 2' deep, and 3" thick, the damn counter would weigh about 600 pounds. You would have to then raise the couter, all at once mind you, and level it with permenant formwork. Highly improbable.

So trim down the same length and width but pour 2", now your countertop is still roughly 400 pounds. All of this using a 5000 mix with high-early so you dont have to wait the 28 days. Minus the moisture issues, it's pretty off the wall, no pun intended.

Yeah, someone other than EXPO. I don't remember who was mentioned. But thanks... if anyone remembers please let me know! ^_^

Try this link as a starting point: http://www.concretenetwork.com/contractors...ona-CocoaBeach/

Also try this link for other non-traditional design resources: http://www.dwell.com/services/designsource

I'm glad there is someone else out there looking to do concrete countertops. I'm so bored with all the granite going into houses here in Orlando. No one is being adventurous in residential architecture and interior design around here. Maybe Ikea will get everyone out of the Robb & Stuckey/Ethan Allen mindset.

Try this link as a starting point: http://www.concretenetwork.com/contractors...ona-CocoaBeach/

Also try this link for other non-traditional design resources: http://www.dwell.com/services/designsource

I'm glad there is someone else out there looking to do concrete countertops. I'm so bored with all the granite going into houses here in Orlando. No one is being adventurous in residential architecture and interior design around here. Maybe Ikea will get everyone out of the Robb & Stuckey/Ethan Allen mindset.

West Elm too.

Man I don't know of anyone in Orlando who would do such work. Even if you found someone to do it, the process is ridiculous.

Just imagine this scenario:

Cast in place concrete counters would have to be formed on the floor. An 8' countertop for example that is say, 2' deep, and 3" thick, the damn counter would weigh about 600 pounds. You would have to then raise the couter, all at once mind you, and level it with permenant formwork. Highly improbable.

So trim down the same length and width but pour 2", now your countertop is still roughly 400 pounds. All of this using a 5000 mix with high-early so you dont have to wait the 28 days. Minus the moisture issues, it's pretty off the wall, no pun intended.

Maybe they use low weight concrete? I'm not even sure how, but air-entrained? styrofoam 'aggregate'? I dunno but 600 lb does seem excessive (but correct if solid).

Maybe it's hollow?

-Taken from the concrete canoe rulebook:

2.10.1 Requirements

Canoes should be able to pass the flotation test either by the inherently buoyant design of the canoe or through the

incorporation of flotation material in the design. For safety reasons, no hollow cavities or air bladders are permitted.

Flotation material shall be solid blocks of material (such as foam, wood, etc.). Flotation material in the final form of

particulates (such as foam peanuts, sawdust, and similar products) is not permitted. All flotation material that is

incorporated into the canoe must be encased in concrete. The only exception to this requirement is flotation

material that is added to a canoe that does not pass the flotation test (Section 2.10.2)

Edited by neon9

I walked by this afternoon and workers were unloading 3 or 4 flatbed trucks holding all the stadium seats for the theater. They were large white Styrofoam boxes that said "Stadium Seating" on them - so I could be wrong, but duh. :P

I walked by this afternoon and workers were unloading 3 or 4 flatbed trucks holding all the stadium seats for the theater. They were large white Styrofoam boxes that said "Stadium Seating" on them - so I could be wrong, but duh. :P

so could you tell if they were reclining seats!??! :D j/k

Cameron Kuhn announced today that The Plaza will begin offering full-service curbside valet parking at The Plaza's parking garage. Service is set to begin May 18, 2007 and will be offered between 6pm and 3am at a cost of $10. The building's management team is also looking into adding detailing and hand carwashing services for patrons.

Cameron Kuhn announced today that The Plaza will begin offering full-service curbside valet parking at The Plaza's parking garage. Service is set to begin May 18, 2007 and will be offered between 6pm and 3am at a cost of $10. The building's management team is also looking into adding detailing and hand carwashing services for patrons.

considering how apparently narrow the garage entrance is maybe they should also offer body work.

no photo, but on the Court St. entrance along Pine St., there seems to be some sort of precast test panels that were placed between the brown vertical stair-stepped panels above the overhang. can these jokers possibly be considering facing the parking deck with this material?

no photo, but on the Court St. entrance along Pine St., there seems to be some sort of precast test panels that were placed between the brown vertical stair-stepped panels above the overhang. can these jokers possibly be considering facing the parking deck with this material?

take a picture??

• 2 weeks later...